Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ideas on caliper's color

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-02, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah can you take a close pic of the caliper, i'd love to see it

also, what's roughly the running price for the paint? where can i get them? pep boys?

Originally posted by jbbnet
yea. i need the stickers...but i have to repaint my calipers...waiting for SS brake lines first.......... Then silver stickers..

I wanted something that didn't stick out too much and not silver cuz of brake dust build up (big ploblem with yellow)

I didn't care for yellow also cuz that was too ricey. don't stare at my brakes....stare at the wheels..or the driver..depending who's looking.........

People really notice brakes.... my 12 yr old nephew noticed them b4 his car junkie father.

I only did the brakes to get rid of that green nasty caliper color and the rust spotted rotors! BLue gives a good contrast matching the color. I really like every color coded. Wish i could remove all these chrome strips off the car! Let me know if you want a close up or better pixel pictures. The blue matches the car color. By VHT Caliper Paint in BRIGHT BLUE
Old 08-12-02, 02:40 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have black and i think that's the best color to go w/. If u do red, blue, etc. (any flashy color) its gets on the sid eof rice IMO. Black is subtle, yet when someone sees ur car, they will think: hmmmm somethings not quite right (in a good way) but i dunno what it is exactly
Old 08-12-02, 02:50 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm.. question for people who already paint it..

does paint comes off? or it stays there ok?

is there some special paint needs to be used in order for it not to come off?

thanks in advance

alexus

Last edited by alexus; 08-12-02 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-12-02, 03:29 PM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would only do black for your stock calipers. Any other color is a bit ricey imo. Seems like with other colors you are trying to look like performance breaks when they are not. Too many riced civics do that around here.
Old 08-12-02, 03:30 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with black.
Old 08-12-02, 04:19 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by alexus

thanks in advance

alexus

From all of the painted calipers I saw at the meet, I dont think the paint peels so easily. There were some people I spoke to who have had theirs painted for over three months and it still looks new.

I have black and i think that's the best color to go w/. If u do red, blue, etc. (any flashy color) its gets on the sid eof rice IMO. Black is subtle, yet when someone sees ur car, they will think: hmmmm somethings not quite right (in a good way) but i dunno what it is exactly
How does it make it look ricey? If you had the real brembos, would it also look ricey? Because looking at it, you really cannot tell.
Old 08-12-02, 04:26 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by alexus

thanks in advance

alexus
Yes, you must get a high temp paint. At least 500deg. if not more. I found a special caliper paint that was 900deg gloss black. It's called VHT high temp caliper and rotor/drum spray paint. I have had it on for 3 weeks now and no problems. But I'm thinking every 6 months just touching them up looking nice and sharp. "Dupli-color" makes an engine paint that is 500deg. That should work just fine.
Old 08-12-02, 04:31 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, thanks for tip

we'll drop by by my body shop tomorow goin ask them to do it or at least make an appoitment to do so
Old 08-12-02, 04:37 PM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Toog4me

How does it make it look ricey? If you had the real brembos, would it also look ricey? Because looking at it, you really cannot tell.
Well most ricers paint them to look like performance brakes so thats how I see it when you do the same. Obviously if you had performace breaks then you are not fooling anyone
Old 08-12-02, 04:41 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by FutureGSorIS

Well most ricers paint them to look like performance brakes so thats how I see it when you do the same. Obviously if you had performace breaks then you are not fooling anyone

Something can "Look" ricey. I understand this. But if painting your calipers red look the same as having the real brembos, then why would it look bad? and ricey?
Old 08-12-02, 05:43 PM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Toog4me

Something can "Look" ricey. I understand this. But if painting your calipers red look the same as having the real brembos, then why would it look bad? and ricey?
I didn't say it wouldn't look bad but only a little ricey imo because it looks like something that it is not. Kinda like I can stickers of stuff I do not have on my car.
Old 08-12-02, 06:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I bought some silver caliper paint made by G2 for my (hopefully on their way to me!) Supra TT brakes. Didn't want anything flashy, but more black stuff on my car would have been too black IMO.

I'm also getting cad-plated rotors for the rear to match the front, but am keeping stock calipers - painting both though. I think I'll probably just put the Lexus 'L' on all four brakes rather than "Lexus" or "L-tuned" (I bought both sets of stickers because I couldn't decide at the time). Or maybe nothing at all, haven't decided.

Related question, however... for those folks who have painted your calipers, what did you do about the piece I have indicated in the picture below that always seems to rust? I don't know what that specific part is called (please tell me if you know).

Did you paint it? Sand or treat it? Can't tell by the other pics posted here what others have done.

Thanks in advance.
D
Attached Thumbnails ideas on caliper's color-brust1.jpg  
Old 08-12-02, 07:04 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

I read some very good things about the G2 caliper paint...there is also a good review posted here on CL. I stopped by the Lexus Mission Viejo on my back from the meet yesterday and noticed that they are now selling G2 in their parts department. I had my calipers powder coated gunmetal silver/grey, but I were to paint them, I would try the G2.
Old 08-12-02, 07:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so umm.... where are some of the places where i can get those paints like the G2 or the VHT?
Old 08-12-02, 07:26 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
so umm.... where are some of the places where i can get those paints like the G2 or the VHT?
Like I said, Lexus MV is selling the G2 ($53.95...a bit high), so you may want to check your local dealership. The local motorsports/racing shops will probably have it too...if all else fails, you can order it from various places over the net.

Quick Reply: ideas on caliper's color