Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ideas on caliper's color

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 09:06 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, ****... that's far. I thought it was somewhere near Diamond Bar or something like that... woops. Just wanted to check out some GSs and meet some of the other CL members. Too bad i passed up the option to go to Palo Alto this week. Thanks though.
Old 08-13-02, 09:14 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toog4me,
I spoke to you briefly last week when I attended the Carson meet. We were standing in front of Enginyr's car.

So you already had a chance to check out my ride.

Just PM us in advance when you're coming our way.

Old 08-13-02, 09:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Toog4me
Oh, ****... that's far. I thought it was somewhere near Diamond Bar or something like that... woops. Just wanted to check out some GSs and meet some of the other CL members. Too bad i passed up the option to go to Palo Alto this week. Thanks though.
yeah when you come up here let us know, we are all here
Old 08-13-02, 10:09 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Toog4me,
I spoke to you briefly last week when I attended the Carson meet. We were standing in front of Enginyr's car.

So you already had a chance to check out my ride.

Just PM us in advance when you're coming our way.

Is this Allen? If so, good meeting you and sweet ride. When Im in your area, i will def. let all of you know. I dont drive to Sillicon Valley much though; my parents or my friend's dad fly me out mostly... but ill still def. call you guys.
thanks
Old 08-17-02, 01:01 PM
LexFather

Related question, however... for those folks who have painted your calipers, what did you do about the piece I have indicated in the picture below that always seems to rust? I don't know what that specific part is called (please tell me if you know).
My bad Dave, I did not see your post. I did not paint mine, but will, black most likely as I don't want another color silver. I have heard of some of the IS guys showing the rust to the dealer and they either paint it silver for you under warrenty.

Please allow ample time to dry. Do more than 1 coat, maybe 3 (depends on the brand of paint).
Old 08-17-02, 02:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Thanks much Mike,

Turns out that the part I was looking at was actually part of the rotor itself, so when I replaced them with the new cad plated rotors, it just went away .

I had a pretty bad caliper painting experience last night... I used the silver G2 paint and cut it in half as I didn't have time to take off the back wheels to paint the stock ones.

Just before the second coat of paint, I went out to the garage to stir the paint and WHAM, the bottom fell out of the double plastic cups I'd mixed the paint in (I guess something in the paint activator had eaten through it). Silver paint on my leg, pants, garage floor, etc. The worst part was that I had to rush the second and third coats since paint was drying in a puddle on the garage floor (I was dipping the brush into the puddle to get the paint ). Ended up with a half *** paint job, and you can see the brush strokes. I'll want to re-paint them again.

Had the brakes put on today and the big brakes wouldn't quite fit behind the wheel (less than 1/8 clearance and they hit just a little).. Damn damn damn. Had to put a little spacer on it to get em in there. But they're on.

Still looks great, however - 100% improvement. No more rust!

I might have to do a quick spray paint job on the calipers before our meet.
Old 08-17-02, 03:13 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Blue, with silver painted hubs....
Old 08-17-02, 09:21 PM
GSAristo
Driver

I went with red on my stock rear calipers, to match up with my red Brembos. I’ve gotten both types of compliments… “nice” and “why?”. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails ideas on caliper's color-red-brakes.jpg  
Old 08-17-02, 10:23 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by al2jzge
I went with red on my stock rear calipers, to match up with my red Brembos. I’ve gotten both types of compliments… “nice” and “why?”. What do you think?

I say niiiiiice. Brembo's are sick. Allen take a pic with my stickies on.
Attached Thumbnails ideas on caliper's color-brembo.jpg  
Old 08-18-02, 06:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,400 Posts

You've got the 'real deal' Brembo's up front, matching them in the back is a no brainer. Looks very nice!
Old 08-18-02, 07:14 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I echo Dave's comments: red stockies are appropriate for matching.

Brembos = drool

Old 08-18-02, 08:22 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

here's mine in blue

https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/ph....pl?photo=5739
Old 08-18-02, 09:01 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Painting your stock calipers anything but silver or black (or some other understated color like grey) is RICE. Plain simple. It's rice because that's what ricers do....like others have said, they paint them to make them look like real performance brakes (AP/Brembo/Etc.)...when they're definitely not.

I mean you might as well put a "TURBO" emblem on your stock car also along with some M3-Light type "checkered flag"stickers on your car and some gay chrome rear window trim with Lexus logos on it...

It's ricer and cheezy. People have REAL big brake upgrades are the only ones that should have high performance colors like red/yellow...because they actually HAVE high performance brakes...

Also, you get this stuff for the performance benefits...not so someone will "think" you have performance equipment when you really don't have jack *****....

Personally, I think Gun Metal Grey would be a cool color...thinking about getting my AP's painted that color...
Old 08-18-02, 09:47 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, Welcome home..... I hope your vacation was great. What's wrong, Jetlag??? You don't seem like your cheery self.... Well, in anycase welcome back....
Old 08-18-02, 10:16 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

heh and my car's color is black.. should i paint it in black ?

Quick Reply: ideas on caliper's color