Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

06 IS250 Clunkin noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 07:28 PM
sumfknguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 IS250 Clunkin noise when turning

First off, my apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum..

My car, 06 is250 RWD (stock). 118K miles.. been running strong forever!! Tonight, I'm heading to the gym and take a wide left turn and hear a thumping noise coming from what sounds like directly by the left wheel, almost sounds like if you were to bang your fist against the firewall outside.. the "thumping/clunking" noise gets faster as you accelerate, but definitely not in sync with the rotation of the wheels so I know it's not the wheel itself..

I get out the gym and take it for a few wide circles in the parking lot and it only happened on left turns, but as I'm going home it starts making the same noise while driving straight.. all the time now. So in a matter of driving it 20 miles it went from nothing to a constant clunk..

Any ideas on where to start? I tend to try and do stuff myself before going to the dealer.. i've done a complete brake job as well as tune up and will attempt anything short of internal engine/electrical troubleshooting..

I'm thinking its related to either the bearing or maybe some bushings?! Not sure.. searched the web and can't really find much in concerns to the 2nd gen IS..

Tomorrow I plan on jacking the car up and taking a look and was hoping you guys could give me some pointers as to what I should be looking for (IE worn bushings, loose parts (where)...

any insight is appreciated,

EDIT: Here is a link to a zip file of a sound clip I made with my cell phone.. You can unzip and then play the file with Quicktime.. The sound starts at 10MPH (this is when its loudest) and continues on up to about 30MPH.. I haven't gone any faster than this.. when it's at its loudest it sounds like something is banging on solid metal...

http://www.mediafire.com/?w3vd9n3urxnw5yp

any questions about getting and playing this file please ask..

Last edited by sumfknguy; 01-24-11 at 08:14 PM.