Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wilwood brake upgrade group buy.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 04:49 PM
RacingAristo

6 piston for $1500 is still a great deal with no rear calipers.
Old 08-16-02, 07:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

okok, been a confusing thread, but couple of questions

1) so is it confirmed that the 4 piston stock rotors setup WILL work with the stock 17" rims? this is a VERY important question

2) so for 950 (shipped price), it would be 2 4-pistons calipers, 2 ss lines, 2 set of pads, and all the bolts?

3) how about shim/fit kits? we need to get them separately?

4) how about the rotors? we will stay with the stock ones?

5) if it's going to be the stock rotors, can we have prices on wilwood rotors too? i think it would be great if we can get stuff from same company....

basically if the kit fits in 17" stock gs rims, i am IN for the groupbuy!!!!
Old 08-16-02, 08:41 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) so is it confirmed that the 4 piston stock rotors setup WILL work with the stock 17" rims? this is a VERY important question
YES, the 4 piston kit will work w/ stock 17's

2) so for 950 (shipped price), it would be 2 4-pistons calipers, 2 ss lines, 2 set of pads, and all the bolts?
Yes, this is correct

3) how about shim/fit kits? we need to get them separately?
I am not quite sure what you are referring to. If u mean brackets for the calipers, they will be included.

4) how about the rotors? we will stay with the stock ones?
If you are going with the 4 piston setup, u will stay w/ the stock rotors. If you want teh 6 piston setup, the TT rotors (or same size rotor) will be needed. We can get them for $140/pair

5) if it's going to be the stock rotors, can we have prices on wilwood rotors too? i think it would be great if we can get stuff from same company....
Scott is going to find out the pricing of Wilwood rotors on Mon.

Last edited by anthracitetarga; 08-16-02 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks for the reply!

well i was reading the steve's brake groupbuy on brakes (in the groupbuy forum) and he mentioned that for brakes upgrade it's advisable to put in new shim / fit kits (to reduce noise or so). i am not very familiar with that part that's why i asked

thanks for asking about the rotors. if i get the wilwood kit i would like to get cross/slot at the same time. i don't want to just get any other rotors coz' it might not work well with the pads and get warpping easily.

oh, you mentioned price for pickup. where would that be?!
Old 08-16-02, 10:14 PM
RacingAristo

rominl,

He is located at FL. Not sure if you are willing to drive from San Jose just to save 50 bucks! If you are going, pick up my set for me, will yah? hee hee.
Old 08-17-02, 10:13 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

This is very attractive buy.. I'm in either 4 or 6 piston.. reason? I'm running 18" rim in summer that will also clear the SupraTT caliper..but I'm running 17" OZ snow tire in the winter.. I need something that will clear the 17" L-Tuned (oz) wheel in winter...

I prefer 6 piston.. but will live with 4 if 6 piston/tt rotor won't clear the 17"..
Old 08-17-02, 02:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

RA, hehe... sorry man, i AM paying 50 bucks if that's the case

shinchan, i don't think the 6piston would fit, that's really too much for the stock setup
Old 08-17-02, 04:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

This is an interesting thread. How come this is the first mention of Wilwood brakes on here? To be honest I've never heard of them before.

Can we see pictures (or a link to them) of the product(s) involved?

Am I to assume these calipers are lighter than the stock 2 pot ones? If not, how much heavier?

How come Wilwood can make them fit with stock rotors but Toyota couldn't? What's the drawback?
Old 08-17-02, 06:39 PM
Flexor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Wilwood
Old 08-17-02, 06:58 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RacingAristo
rominl,

He is located at FL. Not sure if you are willing to drive from San Jose just to save 50 bucks! If you are going, pick up my set for me, will yah? hee hee.
well ill be in FL starting on mon. the pickup will be in lynchburg, va
Old 08-18-02, 01:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bitkahuna
This is an interesting thread. How come this is the first mention of Wilwood brakes on here? To be honest I've never heard of them before.

Am I to assume these calipers are lighter than the stock 2 pot ones? If not, how much heavier?

How come Wilwood can make them fit with stock rotors but Toyota couldn't? What's the drawback?
well actually wilwood are some of the best brakes out there i beleive. endless are probably the king together with brembo, then comes the wilwood and ap racing if i am correct, so wilwood should be nice.

the design is totally up to the company. toyota didn't make a 4 piston setup that will fit with the stock wheels, but the price is cheaper. wilwood makes one that will fit (most likely thinner with stronger material, but more pricey.

no idea on the weight though.... and yeah, see the webpage for pics
Old 08-18-02, 07:42 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Would be nice if there was a bigger rotor package (crossdrilled/slotted) to go with the 6 piston caliper. Changing the calipers alone won't do much for you in terms of stopping distance or fade (contrary to common belief). The GS will experience heavy fade if pushed hard. Also, if you pick up a recent Car and Driver issue, you will find that they have tested some of the best brake kits (including brembo F50 kit) and found that the biggest improvement was the elimination of fade (largely due to the increased rotor size) rather than stopping distance.

Willwood makes a good kit and the price for the 6-piston setup of $1350 is really good. Throw in some 13.5-14" quality crossdrilled and/or slotted rotors and you can consider another kit sold.
Old 08-18-02, 11:04 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mariusz
Would be nice if there was a bigger rotor package (crossdrilled/slotted) to go with the 6 piston caliper. Changing the calipers alone won't do much for you in terms of stopping distance or fade (contrary to common belief). The GS will experience heavy fade if pushed hard. Also, if you pick up a recent Car and Driver issue, you will find that they have tested some of the best brake kits (including brembo F50 kit) and found that the biggest improvement was the elimination of fade (largely due to the increased rotor size) rather than stopping distance.

Willwood makes a good kit and the price for the 6-piston setup of $1350 is really good. Throw in some 13.5-14" quality crossdrilled and/or slotted rotors and you can consider another kit sold.
Mariusz, Scott is going to check on the price of some cross drilled/slotted rotors that are the same size as the TT rotors. However, the price of these rotors WILL be added to the $1350 if u decide to get them. If u want the stock TT rotors, add $140 to the $1350.
Old 08-18-02, 11:10 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Sounds good. Quick question though. From what I remember off the top of my head, the TT rotors are 12.XX" or something. Is it possible to use a 13.5 or a 14" rotor with the wilwood 6 piston caliper? Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-18-02, 11:10 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Everyone, I just want to let u guys know that I am going to be leaving for college tom. (Mon.) and I dunno when I will bbe able to get back online. I assume that i will get the internet hooked up in my dorm w/in the 1st week, but i will try to get on from comp. labs, etc. Therefore, i guess i will be gone until the 22 (unless i can get hooked up in the hotel)
BTW: There are two ways to pay for these kits. You will be able to pay either 1/2 before, and 1/2 when u recieve the kit, or pay full price from the start. Scott said that CC orders and money orders will be accepted. Please PM me with ur CC info if ur gonna go that route (some might want to talk to scott himself, so i will get a # where u can reach him too). For those using money orders, i will talk to scott and get an address, etc. I plan to start the GB the next time i can get online. Thanks

Quick Reply: Wilwood brake upgrade group buy.....