Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers...basic question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-02, 07:59 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Sasha,

Get a new car! Ha Ha.
thats hurtfull

really hurtfull

u big bully

i wish things didnt get old and break... so there is no answer!!?!? argh...
Old 08-19-02, 10:09 PM
RacingAristo

Sasha,

I will ask my local shop and see what he would suggest me to do since I can hear the sqeaking sound when going over huge bumps with windows open.
Old 08-19-02, 11:35 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thx man.. mine is from bump too
Old 08-20-02, 02:41 AM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HA's are simply fantastic! My car is dropped over 3" and the ride is still pretty good! I am soooo damn happy with the HA's and everyone I know who has them personally loves them bigtime! The big test was my fiancee - she complained about the ride cruising around in my dropped SC, however she doesn't say anything about my GS.

Here is my drop with the HA's...

Last edited by Synergy; 08-20-02 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-20-02, 03:19 AM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by LexusRules
thx man.. mine is from bump too
no problem, bro.
Old 08-20-02, 03:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey RA, that's incredible settings. i mean i am from LA too and i know the roads in LA (specially downtown). i can't imagine how you can survive with 10/14 settings. also, why would you put the rear to be stiffer than the front? i believe the reason behind having softer rear is that you won't get into tail spin as easy when you are at high speed concerning. i have confirmed these with two sources.

and yes, i beleive the suggested settings from tein is 8/6 (8 in the front and 6 in the rear).

i had 8/6 when i first got the HA, but i found out that it's a bit too stiff for my liking (specially when i am on the highway..... highways in CA are among the worst i guess....). now i am at 6/5 and it's a lot better).

and i also raised the car up by another 1/2 inch coz' my exhuast was scrapping when i enter my apt.... damn my car is sooo high now
Old 08-20-02, 04:01 AM
RacingAristo

rominal,

my bad. That was a typo. I've corrected the setting to 14 front, 10 rear. Thanks for informing me.

yeah, I understand how you feel about scrapping the exhaust and all. I had the same problem too! There are 2 options: (1)raise the car (2) move to another place. Guess which one I chose. I moved to another place where I won't scrap no more!
Old 08-20-02, 10:48 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I am probably going to order the Flex today from Steve, but I have one more question. Will the coilovers give me a more solid feeling in the car, like going over potholes, etc? Hard to explain, but I want to say less chassis flex, but you guys are probably going to say you need strut tower braces...lower braces, etc, etc...just wondering if coils will help out at all.
Old 08-20-02, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
Ok, I am probably going to order the Flex today from Steve, but I have one more question. Will the coilovers give me a more solid feeling in the car, like going over potholes, etc? Hard to explain, but I want to say less chassis flex, but you guys are probably going to say you need strut tower braces...lower braces, etc, etc...just wondering if coils will help out at all.
yup, you are correct. the stiffer setup will actaully make your car sounds more "fragile". coz' when you go over a pothole or so, that side of the car will really drop suddenly and those flex the whole car.

in order to correct the flex of the car, you need sways, lcb. stb, and the tom's 6 pieces.

hey RA, np you made the VERy right choice man. i wish my gf could move too. i really don't see the point of raising the car back up @_@
Old 08-20-02, 12:48 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i fix the sqeak!! good old white grese.. i mised a bushing last time so now i know which ubshing is hte problem... probobly need to be replace soon!

my setting is just like RA holy crap! im running 10 front 14 back!! damn didnt realize that!

very cool man. My front is also much lower than my rear.. .my rear being about 2 finger gap and front 0 finger gap
Old 08-20-02, 01:05 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

rominl - I figured you might say that... haha, I need a better job...
Old 08-20-02, 01:46 PM
RacingAristo

I have 1 finger gap all around.
Old 08-20-02, 07:08 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Default UPDATE!!!!

Alright, I finally ordered a set of coilovers!!! I ended up going with the TEIN Flex purchased from Steve Ganz...the lexus/toyota parts guru! Steve is by far the most helpful and quickest person in the aftermarket parts world! Can't say how much I am happy with his help! I should be getting my coils this week, but I probably will not install them until after I get back from california in a few weeks!!! I hope I see some of your cars around! lata
Old 08-21-02, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

congrats man, trust me you will love it!!!! coilover is such an amazing product, all i can say.

LexusRules, you sure you running 14 at the back? that's weird coz' it's not really good to run stiffer rear. you get tail spin more easily.

damnit RA, i USED to be 1 finger, now it's 2 and it's ugly i need a much better job too, so i can get a house @_@
Old 08-21-02, 02:25 AM
RacingAristo

rominal,

getting a new house isn't going to solve your problem. But you do have to pay more attention on the slope of your drive way.

You should see my GS when I first installed it. 3" drop. I remember when my mom saw my slammed GS, all she said was "too low, too low". Oh.... I love my mom.

Quick Reply: Coilovers...basic question