Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which F-Sport should I get installed first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11 | 05:44 AM
LexStylez
Pit Crew

Default Which F-Sport should I get installed first?

Spring is just around the corner. I have an IS 250 AWD. I would like to make some modifications to my suspension but I'm not sure which one to go with first. Should I get the F-Sport springs/shocks or F-Sport sways? Anyone have pictures of the F-Sport springs on an AWD with 17" and 18" tires?
Old 02-12-11 | 05:57 AM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Not my car but here is a AWD with F Sport Springs and 18" wheels. Looks pretty much stock height.

Old 02-12-11 | 10:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Get the sways first, then decide if you still want to change the suspension more drastically after that.
Old 02-12-11 | 10:59 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

+1 for sway bar
Old 02-12-11 | 11:05 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Slam that bad boy....I think a lowered car will handle better than a stock height car with a sway bar. It's a lot more $, but it adds an enhanced visual as well.
Old 02-12-11 | 11:56 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Lower it first. It will improve the handling and looks of your car. Then get the sway bars next.
Old 02-12-11 | 12:08 PM
LexStylez
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards the sways first because I've read that the F-Sport springs doesn't give an even drop on an AWD. Since I live in Canada where we have bad winter's I can't afford slam it. Just looking for a mild drop that will eliminate some wheel gap on 18" wheels. Will there be a big difference in handling with just the front/rear sway bars at stock height?
Old 02-12-11 | 02:20 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

I just put on the rear F Sport sway bar last week. It is a definite improvement from stock. I'll be getting the front bar in the next week or two, as I feel the car needs it.
You will notice an improvement in handling with both bars, stock springs or lowered.
Old 02-12-11 | 10:36 PM
Secksee
Lead Lap

slam that ish then get the sways.
Old 02-13-11 | 07:39 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

no springs will give a AWD an even drop b/c the c-bracket in the front axle of the AWD models, if you want an even drop you will have to go coil overs.

also i recommend doing springs and shocks before sways for looks and handling, the is250 AWD fsport sway bars are not as stiff as the is350 sway bars so you will prolly notice better handling on the springs and shocks
Old 02-13-11 | 09:29 PM
binhster
Rookie

I wouldn't install F-Sport springs on an AWD without the F-Sport Bilstein shocks. My roommate has just the F-Sport springs on his IS250 AWD (installed at 35k miles) and it has never ridden comfortably in my opinion. The OEM shocks aren't able to dampen the F-Sport springs under medium to full compression as the springs progressively get to their highest rates. It feels okay on smooth roads with small bumps, but as soon as the pavement gets rough, it starts getting very harsh and feels like the front suspension is at the bump stops. I'm not sure if it is actually the bump stops or the fact that the shocks aren't able to dampen the firmer spring rates at full compression - probably both I presume as my *** gets thrown off the seat as if we just drove over a 6" curb. He also has the F-Sport rear sway which does well at combating the understeer. I'd say his car handled better with just the F-Sport rear sway bar installed and stock shock/springs than with the F-Sport springs/stock shocks unless the streets are buttery smooth.

Anyhow, if you're on a budget, start with the sway bars (especially the rear one). Since you live in Canada with bad winters, I'm sure the roads get pretty rough and you'll not be happy with just F-Sport springs with no new shocks. To truly lower your car and maintain comfort/balance, you want to install coilovers or get both lowering springs AND Bilstein shocks.

Here are some pictures though of the AWD with F-Sport Springs (gap in front is larger):

Old 02-14-11 | 04:40 PM
LexStylez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by binhster
I wouldn't install F-Sport springs on an AWD without the F-Sport Bilstein shocks. My roommate has just the F-Sport springs on his IS250 AWD (installed at 35k miles) and it has never ridden comfortably in my opinion. The OEM shocks aren't able to dampen the F-Sport springs under medium to full compression as the springs progressively get to their highest rates. It feels okay on smooth roads with small bumps, but as soon as the pavement gets rough, it starts getting very harsh and feels like the front suspension is at the bump stops. I'm not sure if it is actually the bump stops or the fact that the shocks aren't able to dampen the firmer spring rates at full compression - probably both I presume as my *** gets thrown off the seat as if we just drove over a 6" curb. He also has the F-Sport rear sway which does well at combating the understeer. I'd say his car handled better with just the F-Sport rear sway bar installed and stock shock/springs than with the F-Sport springs/stock shocks unless the streets are buttery smooth.

Anyhow, if you're on a budget, start with the sway bars (especially the rear one). Since you live in Canada with bad winters, I'm sure the roads get pretty rough and you'll not be happy with just F-Sport springs with no new shocks. To truly lower your car and maintain comfort/balance, you want to install coilovers or get both lowering springs AND Bilstein shocks.

Here are some pictures though of the AWD with F-Sport Springs (gap in front is larger):

I've heard bad stories about F-Sport springs on stock shocks. If I were to install the F-Sport springs I'd definitely pair them up with the F-Sport shocks. The pictures doesn't look too bad. The AWD already has a huge wheel gap to begin with. Is the uneven drop really noticeable in person?
Old 02-14-11 | 05:58 PM
binhster
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexStylez
I've heard bad stories about F-Sport springs on stock shocks. If I were to install the F-Sport springs I'd definitely pair them up with the F-Sport shocks. The pictures doesn't look too bad. The AWD already has a huge wheel gap to begin with. Is the uneven drop really noticeable in person?
The gap is noticeable if you're looking for it or if somebody points it out. Even stock IS RWD's have larger gaps in the front due to the shape/cut out of the fenders. Compared to the stock IS250 AWD height, the lower overall is very noticeable.
Old 02-16-11 | 11:01 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Drop it first, but IMO get coils or a lower lowering spring. The sways don't make a huge difference on the 250, at least compared to the before and after on the 350.
Old 02-17-11 | 11:49 AM
2IS350DT
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
Drop it first, but IMO get coils or a lower lowering spring. The sways don't make a huge difference on the 250, at least compared to the before and after on the 350.
agreed! 10 char

Quick Reply: Which F-Sport should I get installed first?