Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

High pitch squeaks with new install of EBC Red Brake Pad and EBC Sport Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 07:52 AM
endollan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitch squeaks with new install of EBC Red Brake Pad and EBC Sport Rotor

Anyone having issues with their EBC Red pads making a high pitch noise?

I bed the brakes by going from 40mph to 5mph softly and are still driving the first 100Miles. They have instruction to do it after 100miles from 60mph to 10mph. I'm wondering if the brake system is still new and that's why I'm hearing it. Or I've installed the pad and rotor wrong.

Do you need to bed with when there is a new pad or Rotor change? or just when you have a new pad and rotor change?
Old 02-16-11, 08:38 AM
johnchi
Driver

For EBC Pads,
bed in takes a long time, how do you know if you are done with the bed in? when the rotors have a uniform appearance. Are the rotors new as well?
Drive for 200-300 mile gently using the pads - they state preferably city driving.
Only then do the 60-10 stops.
I have been going through the process with Yellow stuff pads on my IS-F setup and after 130 miles the squealing started but then after another 10-15 miles it became sporadic and almost gone.
The local EBC dealer actually told me that squealing will happen prior to the pads finally taking shape and conforming to rotor surface.
I say take another 100 miles of city drivving or gentle braking and then do the 60-10 again.

After all this typing - maybe just read this
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/troubleshooting.shtml
Read all the way through as it talks about a lot of symptoms.
Old 02-16-11, 08:42 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

i also had the squealing in the beginning and it went away after a while. I only have squealing when i back out of my parking, thats all.
Old 02-16-11, 08:44 AM
simple
Pole Position

That's what u get with any aftermarket pad, they will squeal to a certain point.
Old 02-16-11, 09:03 AM
johnchi
Driver

The reverse squealing can also be solved - it just isnt realistic. You could theoretically bed in the pads in reverse

As for AM pads - yes they are a little more prone to this but I have had a lot of different pads that squealed for a certain period of time and some that have not from day 1. It depends on a lot - rotor condition, compound, bed in procedure, caliper condition and installation. It surprises me how many people have their pads replaced but dont replace the shims and fitting kit, forget to put shims back, dont apply grease to the shims or dont bother to clean the shim surface before they do etc etc. And yes, mechanics at the dealer can also forget about these stuff.

Brake squeal cause - I learned about this many years back but a quick google search gives this
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf80426.htm
and many other examples

WHERE BRAKE NOISE COMES FROM
Brake squeal is caused by high frequency vibrations. When the brakes are applied and the pads contact the rotors, tiny surface irregularities in the rotors act like speed bumps causing the pads to jump and skip as they scrape against the rotors. This, in turn, causes the pads to shake and vibrate in the calipers and against the caliper pistons. It also causes the calipers to shake and vibrate on their mounts and bushings. The greater the play between all of these parts, the greater the amplitude of the vibrations and the louder the squeal. The rhythmic vibrations of the pads rubbing against the rotors also creates harmonic vibrations in the rotors that causes them to ring like a cymbal. The areas generating the most noise can be seen with special laboratory equipment that uses a laser to scan the surface. Changes in color reveal the intensity and frequency of the vibrations. Researchers have found that rotor vibrations are not uniform all the way around a noisy rotor. The rotor has certain spots or "nodes" that oscillate more than other areas. By redesigning the casting and changing the location of the cooling fins between the rotor faces, some of this noise can be tuned out (a good reason to use replacement rotors that have the same cooling configuration as the original!).
Old 02-16-11, 09:22 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^great info there
Old 02-19-11, 09:11 AM
endollan
Driver School Candidate

Cool, thanks for the info.

Right now I'm at 160miles, so I'll bed it again after my 200miles of city driving. It is happening less and less, but still there.

These are brand new pads and rotors, so I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is the culprit. From the sounds of it, it seems to be the nature of the EBC pads. I'll update again after next week.