Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How does my alignment look - IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 10:44 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does my alignment look - IS250 AWD

Got an alignment done yesterday. Wanted to see if anyone can chime in on the results. Thanks

Old 02-16-11, 01:56 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is mine.

Old 02-16-11, 05:15 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

i thought toe was supposed to be close to 0? isnt that way too much toe? or is it different on awd?
Old 02-16-11, 07:55 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
That alignment doesn't make any sense.

Either the before is wrong or the after is wrong, because a lot of the stuff that was out of spec before is non-adjustable. How did they magically get non-adjustable alignment values into spec?

Available adjustments on the IS:

Front AWD:
Camber and Toe (Caster adjustable, but only by replacing the rear bushing bracket, there are 3 available selections).

Front RWD:
Toe (Caster adjustable, but only by replacing the rear bushing bracket, there are 3 available selections, Camber not adjustable).

Rear All models:
Toe Only

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-16-11 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 10:25 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MashinA
i thought toe was supposed to be close to 0? isnt that way too much toe? or is it different on awd?
Are you referring to mine? If you are, my toe in the front is close to 0 but my rear toe is not.
Old 02-16-11, 11:56 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
That alignment doesn't make any sense.

Either the before is wrong or the after is wrong, because a lot of the stuff that was out of spec before is non-adjustable. How did they magically get non-adjustable alignment values into spec?

Available adjustments on the IS:

Front AWD:
Camber and Toe (Caster adjustable, but only by replacing the rear bushing bracket, there are 3 available selections).

Front RWD:
Toe (Caster adjustable, but only by replacing the rear bushing bracket, there are 3 available selections, Camber not adjustable).

Rear All models:
Toe Only

Jeff
I'm sure the reading is accurate because I can confirm for sure, the factory messed up alignment was off because it ruied the tires which came with the car before I gotten a new set and went to a specialized alignment/tire installation center (also recommended by tire rack). The car felt a lot different after having it aligned as I could feel the road and had confidence in the wheel a lot better than before. Had a recent 4000 mile tire check recently and the tread wear it is doing well.

The person there is very experienced and must of figured out what was needed to be done to bring it in spec. I am not familar with the technical areas for alignment, but maybe other members who are familar might know how it was done.

Last edited by Sango; 02-17-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 03:05 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I have no doubt that you may have had alignment problems and that they fixed them for you and that the alignment is now correct, however what I listed is all that is adjustable. Adjusting one can sometimes change another reading slightly, however it still doesn't make sense. :\

What looks off more than anything is the 'before' alignment, in order to get some of those values, the car would need to have been crashed a few times. Obviously there's no way to verify it now, but I know what's adjustable and what isn't. It looks fishy for sure.

The left rear is the most easily seen, as before the toe is correct and the camber was off. If all you can adjust is the toe (it is), then what did he do to get the camber in spec? There's nothing that can be done, short of replacing bent/damaged parts, or buying some aftermarket adjustable control arms, etc.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-17-11 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 08:10 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Jeff,

I sent him an email and he asked me to call them. I'll find out what he did. I puchased the car as CPO so it hasn't been in a crash for sure. Unless the previous driver had decided to go on some curbs maybe? I will let you know as soon I find out.
Old 02-17-11, 08:34 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I think you're missing what I'm suggesting. I wasn't saying the car was in an accident, or that there is even anything wrong with the work they did, just that the "before" printout doesn't look like it's right, so they probably repositioned the car after getting the 'before' readings, or the wheel reflector heads weren't quite on right yet, or something along those lines.

There's definitely something up with what the before sheet is saying.

Jeff
Old 02-17-11, 09:51 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I think you're missing what I'm suggesting. I wasn't saying the car was in an accident, or that there is even anything wrong with the work they did, just that the "before" printout doesn't look like it's right, so they probably repositioned the car after getting the 'before' readings, or the wheel reflector heads weren't quite on right yet, or something along those lines.

There's definitely something up with what the before sheet is saying.

Jeff
I have heard back from the person who did my alignment.

He said there were other things (it is a trade thing from experience) which can be done to correct the geometry of the vehicle if it is within a certain tolerance. If the adjustment required needs to go beyond the tolerence then, it would require after market or the factory would have to employ other things to adjust it.

Bascially there was more done to the car besides the adjustable settings to properly align the vehicle.
Old 02-17-11, 10:15 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

The front camber/caster wasn't that far out, so it's possible when they adjusted the camber it also fixed the caster. As for the rear, the only possible way I can think of to adjust the camber like they did would have been to shift the cradle over. It's possible this is what they did I guess.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, as long as it's all good now.

Jeff
Old 02-19-11, 07:49 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '08 IS 350 and am about to get my alignment done (I'm actually posting on this thread from the place's wifi). Thanks for the info on what can and can't be changed. If I'm understanding correctly, for my car, on the front they can only do:
Toe (Caster adjustable, but only by replacing the rear bushing bracket, there are 3 available selections, Camber not adjustable) and on the rear the Toe Only.

When I get the final printout I'll now have an idea on what to look out for
Old 02-20-11, 01:44 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I have an '08 IS 350 and am about to get my alignment done (I'm actually posting on this thread from the place's wifi). Thanks for the info on what can and can't be changed. If I'm understanding correctly, for my car, on the front they can only do:
Toe (Caster adjustable, but only by replacing the rear bushing bracket, there are 3 available selections, Camber not adjustable) and on the rear the Toe Only.

When I get the final printout I'll now have an idea on what to look out for
Yes that is correct. Depending the person doing the alignment and their experience, there are other things which could be adjusted to futher fine tune it correctly which I mentioned in an earlier post.
Old 02-20-11, 09:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Looks like the subframes got adjusted on Sango's ride. It's the only way to balance out camber from side to side, and it would seem Lexus has not figured out how to get this more right than wrong at the factory at least from all the complaints about tire wear issues on the 2IS of all flavors.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
hfbldpnce (08-09-21), Riva (09-07-17)