Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Broken Daizen Caster Bushin ?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 08:12 AM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far 5 of you guys have had this problem...any one else??... S#!t i just did my caster bushings when i installed my coilovers ...and to think of daizen's high reputation within the lexus community

Last edited by wald.sc400; 03-31-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 10:47 AM
the90zkid
Driver

Trust me, I installed my caster arm bushings early oct, thinking that it would have solved my creaking noise problem. Until today i drove my car about a block, and I heard the creaking noise just 10x louder. I'm taking it my boys shop today, and going to re-lube the bushings, again.
Old 03-31-11, 01:55 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My bushings are shipping from Carson right now, I'm on DF210's and questioning them now. Mine's not making any noise but the bushing is cracked, planning on doing them and the ball joints as preventative maintenance.

What are our alternatives on the caster bushings at this point? I read that the '03-'05 arms have TRD bushings, are these any better and available without paying $260 for new arms?
Old 04-01-11, 05:24 AM
the90zkid
Driver

Damn, every has problems with these Daizen bushings. I'm not slammed or anything i'm stock suspension, and I too took into consideration the NY roads and weather. I'm selling my gs, and I don't want to pump any more money into her, but no one wants to buy a car that creaks louder then the radio. Also, what brand of sway bar bushings should I use ? My left side is worn, I might as well change them.
Old 04-01-11, 07:19 AM
Rick James
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
What are our alternatives on the caster bushings at this point? I read that the '03-'05 arms have TRD bushings, are these any better and available without paying $260 for new arms?
Werd!!!!!!
Old 04-01-11, 10:25 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I just searched Sewell and they have caster arm bushings listed as trailing arm bushings for about $46 a piece, isn't clear whether they're poly like the Daizen's or OEM, might be worth emailing them and checking. If you do let us know what they say, otherwise I might look into it more and figure out whether to return the ones from Carson.

If I'm spending $100 and getting an alignment afterward, I don't want to have to redo it anytime soon.
Old 04-04-11, 08:05 PM
bigjussin
Pole Position

im ordering replacements from autohaus...38 each
Old 04-05-11, 09:02 AM
Rick James
Driver

Um... http://www.autohaus.com is a VW/audi dealer page....

Nevermind, I figured it out!!

http://www.autohausaz.com/
Old 04-05-11, 03:37 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Was thinking after I posted, the TRD bushings would only fit the '03-'05 arms if I understand things correctly. Was there an upgrade in the bushings in '01 that would work for 98-00?

I think I might end up throwing in the ones from Carson and take my chances but if there's a better alternative it's not done yet.
Old 04-05-11, 04:38 PM
fastryan
Driver

i checked carson, they list it as a poly bushing. polyurethane will ALWAYS make noise, imo.
Old 04-05-11, 04:42 PM
fastryan
Driver

has anyone ever tried drilling or slotting the inside of the bushing, to create a pocket that could trap grease inside, making it a self lubing-kinda situation? or maybe drill a hole though the arm and bushing, then install a zerk fitting? i have done this on poly a-arm bushings....
Old 04-05-11, 08:04 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fastryan
has anyone ever tried drilling or slotting the inside of the bushing, to create a pocket that could trap grease inside, making it a self lubing-kinda situation? or maybe drill a hole though the arm and bushing, then install a zerk fitting? i have done this on poly a-arm bushings....
I believe I did read something the other day about slotting the bushing to do just what you stated.
Old 04-08-11, 08:44 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Just a quick word from someone who's had the Daizen bushings for about 15,000 miles.

I've got the entire Daizen bushing set for front and rear (sways, upper and lower, etc). When I ordered my bushings I also got both sets of daizen grease packets. I have 98-00 caster arms. I've installed my bushings myself and I'm very meticulous when it comes to installing my own things. I've had issues with shops and installers in the past -- even with my 335. So I can say first hand that I've been there before.

When I was first installing my caster bushings with my shop press I realized that the bushings were considerably bigger than the holes. I realized that the reason for this was to allow the center bolt (one that goes through the bushing) to be able to sit there and not move 'completely' free. Thats what the stock bushing/arm is supposed to do, but over time the poly deteriorates and it ends up causing more movement and absorbs less and in turn other parts take on more vibration and fail.

When installing, if it isn't done with care and proper installment techniques, the lip on the bushing will crack. You wont notice it, but after time it will start to cause more stress and in turn develop more wear.
Old 04-08-11, 10:24 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

The 240SX guys did the exact thing you wrote with their Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings with great results.

Originally Posted by fastryan
Old 04-08-11, 10:51 PM
bADBOySC4
Pole Position

i personally test fitted both 98-99 and newer bushings. talk to Collin at Carson Toyota, Those bushings hold up a lot bettern than the daizen kit. the only bad part about them is that you have to reuse the inner sleeve (older style control arm) and the outer sleeve of the stock bushing (newer style). so you have to grind down the rubber off the stock sleeves. Not too bad of a job though. I was able to replace both sides in about 2 hours (and thats on a hoist at my dealer). Call Collin he'll hook u guys up.

Quick Reply: Broken Daizen Caster Bushin ?!?!?