Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question about Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 12:31 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about Brake Noise

I've noticed a tick noise coming from the rear brakes during braking. I have the stock upgrade kit from the group buy...with the cross-drilled /slotted rotors. I know the tick noise is the slots but is that normal??? It's not super loud or anything but it is noticable. And the fronts are quiet...so I'm confused?? Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanx
Old 08-20-02, 01:53 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have somewhat of a ticking as well. my biggest concern is about the "whoosh" sound when i barely apply the brakes. the thing about it is, is that you can only hear the opposite side doing it. i noticed it coming from the passenger side when i was driving, and now tonite i heard it coming from the driver side while someone else was driving. it must be the air from the slots/drills

Doc

Last edited by DrRick; 08-20-02 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-20-02, 09:32 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that is weird. When my brakes were stock and I gently applied the brakes, no sounds. I did however get 1 click sound that I found to be a little weird.

After, I upgraded to the SS lines, slotted rotors with EBC pads, the click sound went away. In turn, I got better overall brake feel with more responsive brakes, but now there exists a different type of sound. It's becoming less and less evident as the brakes wear in. I think its because of the slots in the rotors making almost a fan sound. Its hard to describe the sound but its kinda of like small pulsating beats when applying the brakes. As I said, it is becoming less as the brakes wear in but not sure if it will go away entirely. Will wait and see.
Old 08-20-02, 09:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I've got the same deal - fronts are quiet, rear makes a little ticking/humming noise when brakes are applied. Changes frequency as the wheel slows (sound slows along with the wheel).

I'm in a watch/wait to see if it gets better or worse - thought it might have been from the slots or drills and I just wasn't used to it. But if that's the case -why don't the front brakes make the same sounds?
Old 08-20-02, 10:42 AM
JacobT

I had the same when I just installed the new pads and x-d rotors at rear. After a while, about 1000 miles, it's gone.
Old 08-20-02, 11:30 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK guys, I feel better now. I just wanted to make sure that was the norm (I was obsessing on whether I installed the clips incorrectly). It is a humming noise more than a ticking noise as DaveGS4 said. I've got about 500 miles on them now...so maybe the sound will reduce over time. Interesting that the fronts are quiet however..?
Old 08-20-02, 01:12 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I was at Swift this weekend to have my rotors installed for an SC.

When the wheels got put on, there was a clicking noise on the rear left. Mo being the great guy he is took the wheel off and figured out it was the clipping mechanism for the parking brake. He fixed that and no more click.

By the way, I have never seen anyone treat my car so well.
Old 08-20-02, 04:06 PM
JacobT

The reason why no noise from the front brakes is the mater cylinder put out more pressure on the front, so when you step down the brake pedal, front pads are fully contact with rotor surface while rear pads are barely touching the rotors. That's the reason.

After a while the rear pads are shaped to fully contact the rotor surface better so the noise is gone