Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TT Calipers Leaking Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 02:54 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TT Calipers Leaking Help?

So I picked up a set of used TT front Calipers and bought the rebuild kit. Did the rebuild installed all new stainless lines, pads and rotors. Everyting seams fine but I have a small leaking coming from the middle of the caliper where the two halves meet towards one of the sides. What can I do to fix this ? I heard you can not unbolt and take apart the two halves of the caliper due to factor torque specs or something is this correct ? Any input would really help I dont want to buy another new caliper.
Old 02-20-11, 05:08 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you rebuilt the calipers, did you replace the piston bore o-ring, or just replace the piston boots?

If it's leaking from the individual piston areas; you may have pinched one of the o-rings, if you replaced those. That's the only place I think it could leak from if you didn't unbolt the two halves.

A caliper can leak from any one of the piston o-rings, one of the two small o-rings that seal the two halves, a damaged bleeder-screw seat and worst case-scenario, the caliper itself could be cracked.

Don't be afraid to separate the two halves to either clean or refinish; I've done it plenty of times and have no problems sealing on multiple sets of calipers. You have to be careful though, the small o-rings that seal the two faces are not included in rebuild kits and cannot be bought from Toyota as a part.

Torque spec for the Supra Turbo calipers are 23 ft./lb.
Old 02-20-11, 06:46 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Did you follow this guide?
Old 02-20-11, 07:53 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SChema
When you rebuilt the calipers, did you replace the piston bore o-ring, or just replace the piston boots?

If it's leaking from the individual piston areas; you may have pinched one of the o-rings, if you replaced those. That's the only place I think it could leak from if you didn't unbolt the two halves.

A caliper can leak from any one of the piston o-rings, one of the two small o-rings that seal the two halves, a damaged bleeder-screw seat and worst case-scenario, the caliper itself could be cracked.

Don't be afraid to separate the two halves to either clean or refinish; I've done it plenty of times and have no problems sealing on multiple sets of calipers. You have to be careful though, the small o-rings that seal the two faces are not included in rebuild kits and cannot be bought from Toyota as a part.

Torque spec for the Supra Turbo calipers are 23 ft./lb.
Yes I replaced both piston o-ring and boot, cleaned out each cylinder wall and piston. Re-installed with new clips provided in kit, i went as fare as removing and undoing everything just check and make sure everything was done properly. But the fluid is not leaking through that area though, it is coming from the outside of the caliper fro where the two side meet. So I shouldnt have any problems re-asemabling the caliper if I un-bolt them ? Also if I want to change the small o-rings that seals the two sides where can I get them ???? Thanks for the torque spec
Old 02-20-11, 08:08 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've researched, Toyota does not offer a replacement for those seals. I've always reused mine and have never had any issues. I don't think regular o-rings will suffice, you may have to size-match ones made of teflon or viton to resist the properties of brake fluid and heat.

Almost sounds like the previous owner had them apart and forgot to install the seals or pinched them or even had some debris between the mating surfaces not allowing flush contact between the two halves.

I torqued my calipers at 15 pounds working from 2, 4, 1, and 3. Then went back with full 23 pounds using the same pattern. I looked at the caliper bolts left to right (1, 2, 3 and 4) 1 being the far left outside bolt and 4 the far right outside.
Old 02-21-11, 05:02 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks man I will try thaking them apart this weekend. Really appreciate ur info