Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1992 SC400 Rear Subframe.. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 09:03 AM
ShimShim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1992 SC400 Rear Subframe.. Need some help.

So I was just normally driving my 92' SC400 that i've had for exactly 2 weeks now and the back left rear wheel decided to turn sideways.

So I clunk it a few blocks to the nearest shop (fire/bridgestone or whatever). They tell me that they're going to take a look at it, see whats wrong when they can in the morning. So they call me in the morning and tell me that the "Rear Subframe Cradle" or something of the sort (guy seemed rather incompetent himself) was rusted through and that this was the reason for my wheel turning. Told me it was quite the big safety hazard. They told me that with parts + Maintenance + an Alignment it would run me for about $2160. I figured that was a RIDICULOUS price so I came here. I'm new to the forums, but I've been looking around here for awhile now and you guys seem very helpful.

So, I figured I'd ask your opinion on the matter, what should I do to go about fixing this in the cheapest way possible? Is firestone/bridgestone just trying to upsell me as i've heard from many that they do? Where is the best place I could find a SC400 Rear Subframe I could install?

I hope this is the right section for this, I just want to get my SC400 back out on the road as soon and as cheap as possible.
Old 02-26-11, 10:02 AM
kapetajr
Pole Position

Had this happen to a guy I know, find another good condition subframe and swap it your self, if its you first time I would set a weekend aside to do it. Be safe and good luck
Old 02-26-11, 10:11 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pics would be spectacular. it could just have been a broken toe rod in the back which is at worst like 100 bucks for a used set.
Old 02-26-11, 04:34 PM
ShimShim
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Sorry guys, no pictures right now I completely blanked. I went and saw it today and had them hoist it up again so that me and a few mechanic friends could look at the damage. And yeah, the Rear Subframe is quite bad. The tire on the left side (One thats done) is completely bald after only a couple days while it was breaking as a result. A friend who is very good with cars like this came up with the idea of basically bending the parts back in shape and than welding them as a solution and I believe i'm going to do that since it will only cost me around 200$ or so vs. the firestones 2000$ or getting a new Subframe (600$)

I will post pictures if anyone is really interested in seeing the welding job as it seems uncommon? Should have her running like a champ by monday if all goes well