Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

KVR Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-02, 01:21 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KVR Brake Pads

I have been running KVR brake pads for the last six months, which is about 18,000 miles, and my rears are already worn out!!! Yes, I am pretty hard on my brakes, but when I replaced my stock pads at about 44,000 miles...they were only half-worn. I don't understand why they worn out this fast, but anyway...I just wanted to let you guys know about my bad experience with them. They did have better than stock stopping power, especially with the carbon fiber weave front pads, but horrible durability! Argh...Also, too much brake dust in the rear! Obviously, I need to change my pads once again or at least just the rears one, so do any of you guys have a suggestion as to what pad I should run that has the least amount of brake dust and remain quiet?
Old 08-23-02, 04:12 PM
JacobT

EBC Green Stuff. Several CL members switched to these pads and are happy with them. I've been thru 1 Toyota and 2 sets of TRD. After I switched to EBC, I'm happy now.
Old 08-23-02, 04:15 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Jacob!...I was debating on whether or not to order some EBC before, but this time I think I will! Thanks!
Old 08-23-02, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Your REAR pads are already worn out? Maybe another problem since fronts do 80% of the work? Maybe park brake is stuck on (although I think that's a separate drum ??).
Old 08-23-02, 06:26 PM
LexFather

It took 77k miles for my rears to go on the stock brakes and I drive like a madman, that is really weird.

TRD pads are good IMO, but way to much brake dust.
Old 08-23-02, 08:02 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Default Re: KVR Brake Pads

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
I have been running KVR brake pads for the last six months, which is about 18,000 miles, and my rears are already worn out!!! Yes, I am pretty hard on my brakes, but when I replaced my stock pads at about 44,000 miles...they were only half-worn. I don't understand why they worn out this fast, but anyway...I just wanted to let you guys know about my bad experience with them. They did have better than stock stopping power, especially with the carbon fiber weave front pads, but horrible durability! Argh...Also, too much brake dust in the rear! Obviously, I need to change my pads once again or at least just the rears one, so do any of you guys have a suggestion as to what pad I should run that has the least amount of brake dust and remain quiet?
Hey, Mike!
I was wondering if you took into account the amount of rotor wear with your stock pads vs. you KVRs. When you brake, something has to wear out (rotor or pad). May be KVR wears out faster because it is kinder on rotors than stock?...
Old 08-23-02, 08:44 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Bit and 1SICKLEX - I know that it is extremely weird! What I don't understand is that my car stops perfectly fine and in a straight line on extremely hard stops from over 70mph.

Vlad - You brought up a good point about something having to wear and I believe KVR said these are extremely kind to the rotors. I guess only measuring the rotor with a caliper will truely tell what is going on here!

In the mean time, www.tirerack.com has awesome prices on EBC brake pads. I nearly payed double for the pads that I a currently running...argh! The rears were "designed" not to use shims to eliminate squeal, but they were horrible for that!!! I wonder if EBC uses shims and what not? Any input?
Old 08-24-02, 01:34 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any run the EBC Red Stuff pads for their Supra calipers??? What's the difference between the Green and Red Stuff pads???
Old 08-25-02, 02:28 PM
JacobT

EBC red are designed for race application. They require warm up to be sticky. While the green ones are for street use and they are much less dust than red.
Old 08-25-02, 03:29 PM
RacingAristo

I had EBC pads on stock M3 rotors before. They literally ate the rotors. I had to change rotors twice an year. But after I started using Brembo rotors, they are good as new.
Old 08-26-02, 05:19 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RacingAristo
I had EBC pads on stock M3 rotors before. They literally ate the rotors. I had to change rotors twice an year. But after I started using Brembo rotors, they are good as new.
I am not an expert, but I think that German cars (VW for sure, and may be BMW) use very soft rotors that are not designed to be turned (like Japanese ones). That seems to explain the "rotor-eating" going on. I've had one more pad replacement on my GTI VR6 (at 20000K and one change) before the rotors had to be replaced.
Old 08-27-02, 12:21 AM
RacingAristo

I stated my experience as anyone in Club Lexus can use it as his reference. What Vlad said may explain why my buddies and I all had the problem with EBC pads/stock rotors.
Old 08-27-02, 11:27 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I just ordered some rear Endless pads for the GS since the stock ones seem to be squeeling. I've tried KVR's and many others and prefer Endless to anything else. Expensive but worth every penny.
Old 08-27-02, 03:06 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

That seems to explain the "rotor-eating" going on. I've had one more pad replacement on my GTI VR6 (at 20000K and one change) before the rotors had to be replaced.
Damn, that is amazing. You went 20 thousand, thousand miles with only one change. That must be like 2 billion miles!
Old 08-27-02, 09:07 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by theanimala

Damn, that is amazing. You went 20 thousand, thousand miles with only one change. That must be like 2 billion miles!
Hey,

The guy loves to drive. Can you blame him for that?