Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rolled fenders or stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 07:25 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics I JUST took in my garage.. Sorry for the low light, it is nighttime though

Driver side tire

Driver side tire

Passenger side tire

Passenger side tire

Passenger side tire
Old 03-08-11, 07:26 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Originally Posted by AZ JB
The rubbing doesn't occur during normal driving, HOWEVER, anytime you hit a dip on the freeway, or go over a speed table just the slightest bit too fast, you will hear it rub. Straight driving on a perfectly flat road with no dips will not cause any rubbing.
I thought you said you heated the inner plastic fender lining to eliminate the rubbing....

I am dropping the car off at my body shop tomorrow morning. They are going to evaluate the markings on the tires and see what options I have. I talked to the body shop owner this evening for about 45 minutes about various options and such so after they look at it tomorrow I will be able to give a better analysis of the issue and how we will resolve it. I'll try to take some pictures in a little bit and then upload them so you can see exactly what I am talking about.
That's awesome. I appreciate it and it helps me greatly. I was seriously about to call in my order for the Dyna's today....and then I came across this thread. You are currently in the position I was concerned about eventually being in, so there is a good chance the resolution to your dilemma will point me in the right direction.

...and I own a 350.
Old 03-08-11, 07:28 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

And yes, debadged with no holes
Old 03-08-11, 07:35 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by thespaz18
I thought you said you heated the inner plastic fender lining to eliminate the rubbing.....
We did, and it did eliminate the rubbing while turning. However my springs are still settling as well, so who knows what will happen over the next few weeks.

That's awesome. I appreciate it and it helps me greatly. I was seriously about to call in my order for the Dyna's today....and then I came across this thread. You are currently in the position I was concerned about eventually being in, so there is a good chance the resolution to your dilemma will point me in the right direction.

...and I own a 350.
Old 03-08-11, 07:45 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Ugh...that gouge in the front tires makes me cringe! I'm anxious to hear what the guys at the body shop have to say - hopefully no rolling necessary. I can't get over that plastic fender lining causing such a deep cut in the tire, but I guess that's the cause. Do you think a 225/35/19 tire would've helped avoid rubbing altogether? I may need to go that route...
Old 03-09-11, 05:52 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Ugh...that gouge in the front tires makes me cringe! I'm anxious to hear what the guys at the body shop have to say - hopefully no rolling necessary. I can't get over that plastic fender lining causing such a deep cut in the tire, but I guess that's the cause. Do you think a 225/35/19 tire would've helped avoid rubbing altogether? I may need to go that route...
lol well if you live somewhere that the roads are all perfect and smooth then you should be golden! They took a look and there is no room to roll without affecting the integrity of the fender. They took it to another shop that specializes in alignments and wheel settings and they are going to see what they can do to make it so it doesn't rub. I should be getting the car back tomorrow so when I do I will let you know what the end outcome was. The only other options I have are to go back to stock springs or look into IS-F fenders. A 225/35 tire MIGHT work but it will also affect the look of the vehicle and how it sits on the wheel and I can't stand that look of an undersized tire.
Old 03-09-11, 06:43 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Thanks for the update.

Eh, the roads in DE are pretty smooth, but every road still has it's share of potholes. Just so I'm clear, the gouge in the outter rim of the tire is caused by the fender and NOT the inner plastic fender lining? And it's caused when you go over bumps in the road?

I don't think you should go back to stock springs OR pursue IS-F fenders. I may be displaying a bit of ignorance here, but there's gotta be a better way around this tire/fender issue...I mean, other members have dealt w/ it without changing springs or rolling fenders.

Do your rear tires rub at all?
Old 03-09-11, 07:51 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem with 235 and the LC818s, all you have to do is put on 225's and your problem is totally solved....
Old 03-10-11, 05:26 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
I had the exact same problem with 235 and the LC818s, all you have to do is put on 225's and your problem is totally solved....

Yep...I think a 225 tire in the front is the best solution, for me at least...
Old 03-10-11, 06:50 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

The car is now at a local wheel shop called WSI and they are looking at options as well... From what I am hearing from you guys and from what my body shop told me, 225s might be the only solution. Anyone interested in some BFGoodrich G-Force T/A 235/35/19 with 95% treadlife left lol. I'll keep you all posted on what I find out tomorrow.
Old 03-12-11, 06:30 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Well it looks like I am going back to stock springs.. as the car continues to settle more the rubbing is getting worse while driving and going over any dips or bumps in the road.

The body shop did everything they could minus cutting and shaving. 225s are too small for the rim and I don't like the look of the rim sticking out further than the wheel so our only option is to go back to stock springs.

Sorry for the bad news.. I'm definitely really bummed out.
Old 03-13-11, 04:34 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Well it looks like I am going back to stock springs.. as the car continues to settle more the rubbing is getting worse while driving and going over any dips or bumps in the road.

The body shop did everything they could minus cutting and shaving. 225s are too small for the rim and I don't like the look of the rim sticking out further than the wheel so our only option is to go back to stock springs.

Sorry for the bad news.. I'm definitely really bummed out.
That's a bummer! Well, you did the best you could to make it work. As for me, I placed my order for the Dyna's (they're on back order) and I plan to run a 225 tire in the front. If I run into issues, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 03-15-11, 09:28 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

We took the Eibachs off the front and left them on the back.. the car actually sits pretty nice with this setup.

Definitely let me know when you get yours in and put 225s on, I will be anxious to see pics and hear if it is rubbing at all.
Old 03-16-11, 04:45 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

We took the Eibachs off the front and left them on the back.. the car actually sits pretty nice with this setup.

Definitely let me know when you get yours in and put 225s on, I will be anxious to see pics and hear if it is rubbing at all.
I will keep you posted on how everything turns out. However, it may be a while before I know b/c the Dyna's are on backorder for 6-8 weeks.
Old 03-17-11, 11:09 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

can't you just run some camber in the front?

I'm in a similar boat right now. I have dyna's with teh 235's up front, and i'm putting on coils this weekend. I'm thinking now I may have to roll my fenders? i really don't want to fork over 500$ for new tires up front, especially when they're at like 80%.

@Sffd103, were you running 235's up front without rub after fender rolling? I'm not running spacers.

Quick Reply: Rolled fenders or stock springs?