Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rolled fenders or stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 09:08 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled fenders or stock springs?

I put the Eibach Pro-Kit on my car and also put a set of Linea Corse Dynas on it. Well today I noticed gouge marks on the corner area of my front tires. I hear them rub occasionally while driving (freeway dips and such) but never thought there were any issues until I saw the marks on my tires. I have already used a heat gun on the inside of the wells on the front to keep them from rubbing while turning. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if so what your solution was? The only solutions I can think of are rolling the front fenders or putting the stock springs back on..
Old 03-07-11, 09:16 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Roll the front fenders and narrower tires. Some people run 225 and 215 tires.
Old 03-07-11, 09:49 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Roll the front fenders and narrower tires. Some people run 225 and 215 tires.
I'll look into 225s when I need new tires again, but I don't have the money for 2 more new tires currently as I just spent over $1000 on 4 new ones. Do you think rolling the front fenders though is the only way to go in the meantime..? Putting the stock springs back on wouldn't fix the problem?
Old 03-07-11, 10:02 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

It would probably fix the problem, but you wont be lowered. If you don't mind that, that'll do it. The Eibach kit is pretty low from what I hear. I assume you have 235's?
Old 03-07-11, 10:12 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sffd103
It would probably fix the problem, but you wont be lowered. If you don't mind that, that'll do it. The Eibach kit is pretty low from what I hear. I assume you have 235's?
Yeah, 235/35/19s front and 275/35/19s rear. Ugh, this has been such a pain..
Old 03-07-11, 10:12 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

roll the fenders for sure. if you put the stock back on, then you just wasted money on the eibach springs
Old 03-07-11, 10:15 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by edgeucated
roll the fenders for sure. if you put the stock back on, then you just wasted money on the eibach springs
lol true, but I could always sell them.. I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make visibly..
Old 03-07-11, 10:25 PM
xilent
Driver

just roll the fenders. hehe
Old 03-07-11, 10:30 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

I used to have the exact same tire setup and had no rubbing up front and no rubbing in the rear cause it was rolled. I had a 42+ offset. It wasn't till I put on my 10mm spacers and brought it to a 32+ and CHEWED up my ires and bent my fender. I was pretty low on coils. A narrower tire does the trick. You need to sell those tires or get coils so you can adjust them when you're ready to lower/raise. I know what you're going through and it sucks. I ended up getting new wheels/tires. Good luck!
Old 03-08-11, 11:57 AM
thespaz18
Rookie

Originally Posted by AZ JB
I put the Eibach Pro-Kit on my car and also put a set of Linea Corse Dynas on it. Well today I noticed gouge marks on the corner area of my front tires. I hear them rub occasionally while driving (freeway dips and such) but never thought there were any issues until I saw the marks on my tires. I have already used a heat gun on the inside of the wells on the front to keep them from rubbing while turning. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if so what your solution was? The only solutions I can think of are rolling the front fenders or putting the stock springs back on..
Waaaaaaaaait a second....

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Dyna's myself, but having to roll the fenders is unappealing - mainly b/c I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to. I'm on H&R springs (lower than Eibachs) and I have talked to people w/ the Dyna's that have the same springs as me. They have told me that the only modification I would need to do is heat the fender lining to avoid rubbing on turns and bumps, like you mentioned. Also, their front tires are the same as yours (235/35/19) and their front offset was +28 (I think yours is +38). How is it you would need to roll your fenders and other people don't? It doesn't add up. Someone explain please...

Last edited by thespaz18; 03-08-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 03:23 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Depends on the Dyna's you get. My Dyna's in the front are 19x8.5 +38 and ran 225/35's without having to roll the fenders.
Old 03-08-11, 05:07 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Originally Posted by Silkky
Depends on the Dyna's you get. My Dyna's in the front are 19x8.5 +38 and ran 225/35's without having to roll the fenders.
Ok, can anyone that runs Dyna's (+28 offset in the front) on their IS350 that's lowered provide some feedback on if you had to roll your front fenders to make the setup work?

Also, from what I've read, with 235/35/19 size tires on a lowered 2IS, the Dyna's will rub on the inner plastic fender liner, but fender rolling shouldn't be required. From what AZ JB stated, heating the inner fender liner eliminated the rubbing while turning. Does that mean the fender also needs to be rolled to eliminate rubbing when going over bumps?
Old 03-08-11, 06:33 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by thespaz18
Ok, can anyone that runs Dyna's (+28 offset in the front) on their IS350 that's lowered provide some feedback on if you had to roll your front fenders to make the setup work?

Also, from what I've read, with 235/35/19 size tires on a lowered 2IS, the Dyna's will rub on the inner plastic fender liner, but fender rolling shouldn't be required. From what AZ JB stated, heating the inner fender liner eliminated the rubbing while turning. Does that mean the fender also needs to be rolled to eliminate rubbing when going over bumps?
I am a +28 offset in the front. The +38 offset doesn't fit on a 350 (I learned this the hard way lol).

The rubbing doesn't occur during normal driving, HOWEVER, anytime you hit a dip on the freeway, or go over a speed table just the slightest bit too fast, you will hear it rub. Straight driving on a perfectly flat road with no dips will not cause any rubbing.

I am dropping the car off at my body shop tomorrow morning. They are going to evaluate the markings on the tires and see what options I have. I talked to the body shop owner this evening for about 45 minutes about various options and such so after they look at it tomorrow I will be able to give a better analysis of the issue and how we will resolve it. I'll try to take some pictures in a little bit and then upload them so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

BTW: Spaz, do you have a 350 or 250?

Last edited by AZ JB; 03-08-11 at 06:35 PM. Reason: btw
Old 03-08-11, 06:55 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he has a 350
Old 03-08-11, 07:18 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Micaiah
I think he has a 350
I was thinking that too..

Standby all, uploading pics..

Quick Reply: Rolled fenders or stock springs?