Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 08:18 PM
myersport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There IS a reason the IS350 has different brakes than the IS 250. And yes, it is possible to out-brake your tires. The two factors must be upgraded in tandem.

That being said, I have a set of <Virtually> Brand New IS350 Calipers, Pads, and Rotors for sale for $500 plus shipping. They have approx. 25 miles on them. This is Identical to the Kit that Sewell Lexus sells for $1000. They came off a car that had the F-Sport brakes installed before delivery.
I also have the rear brakes available, but they are the same as IS250 components, just new. PM me if you are interested.

Sorry to Hijack the thread.

--dennis

Last edited by myersport; 04-10-11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 06:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
KURTZ for 60-0 type braking your C.O.F., Mu, rolling resistance thoughts works but it is not all that matters when braking.
What about less pedal effort to get the same clapping force
What about it?

If there's something wrong with your leg then this might be important. For a normal healthy adult, not so much... either set of brakes will, easily, be able to lock up/engage ABS... after which "more force" is 100% wasted.

Originally Posted by RCB
, what if you want to brush off speed (not come to a stop)from 120mph if you see a cop or an animal in the road?
Ok, what about it? Again, either set will be capable of braking with more force than the tires can use, so "more force" is wasted force.

Originally Posted by RCB
How about increasing rotor size and surface are to change braking torque???
Where, again, "more torque" is 100% useless since even the stock brakes can lock the wheels.

Originally Posted by RCB
And yes brake fade is also a factor.
On the track, certainly.

If your brakes are fading on the street you're either in need of repairs or driving very, very illegally. (I don't just mean a bit of normal speeding)

Originally Posted by myersport
There IS a reason the IS350 has different brakes than the IS 250.
Sure. Marketing. (and looks of course- big brakes look good.)

Same reason some "performance" cars have drilled rotors despite drilling holes in rotors being a generally stupid thing to do. Do a search on Lances IS-F rotors after just one visit to the track to see why.

And yes, it is possible to out-brake your tires.
Not only is it "possible" it's what happens. Even with the stock brakes you can apply more force to the tires than they can use.

Now, if you're put racing tires on your street car... that might be another story...but generally nobody is doing that on the street since slicks aren't street legal, and high end "legal" race-compound tires wear out in very short order in street use... for "normal" street legal tires, even good ones, the OEM brakes will "outbrake" the tires in any typical street application....Hence why upgrading your brakes in street use is pointless for anything but looks and "feel"... the car will still stop in exactly the same # of feet.

Once you lock the wheels (or engage ABS on an ABS car) then any additional braking force doesn't help you.

Again, read the link I posted, it explains this in detail, by a guy who designs brake systems for a living and has literally written books on the subject.

Or ask Brembo. Or Stoptech. Their websites both tell you the same thing I am- BBKs and such are only useful on the track where you're stopping from north of 100 mph repeatedly in a short period of time.
Old 04-11-11, 10:31 PM
lexrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There IS a reason the IS350 has different brakes than the IS 250. And yes, it is possible to out-brake your tires. The two factors must be upgraded in tandem.

That being said, I have a set of <Virtually> Brand New IS350 Calipers, Pads, and Rotors for sale for $500 plus shipping. They have approx. 25 miles on them. This is Identical to the Kit that Sewell Lexus sells for $1000. They came off a car that had the F-Sport brakes installed before delivery.
I also have the rear brakes available, but they are the same as IS250 components, just new. PM me if you are interested.

Sorry to Hijack the thread.

--dennis
Myersport, I'm interested in the rear brakes. What components are included?
Old 04-12-11, 04:55 PM
myersport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexrod
Myersport, I'm interested in the rear brakes. What components are included?
PM'd.

--dennis