Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HSD Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 09:53 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSD Coilovers

I’ve needed to lower my car pretty bad for a while now. So I asked around, and decided on going with a set of the HSD coilovers. They’re relatively unused and unheard of. I've heard good things about these and a couple guys I know run them in town (Calgary) and have had nothing but great things to say about them. We opened them up in the shop and they looked good. But then I got them home and I took some better pics to share with everyone.

These retail for $1,499CDN, but can be found cheaper through connections or through some sites. These are the HRs, which are a mono-tube designed system. Mono-tube is a must for cold environments as I’ve been told. As I understand it, HSD (or HD Systems as the name on the box says) manufactures the dampers and various other pieces for the Stance coilovers. I.e., these are essentially the exact same components with a little less mark-up on them. This set is a 10/7 spring rate. I'm not sure what exactly this means, but my trusty source, who knows his stuff from the shop I deal with and a friend, said it's a good balance.

While I'm not really familiar with coilovers, I am familiar with engineering and manufacturing processes. And from my first little session of man-handling these things, I can tell you that the welds, and the fitting of pieces, looks great. No little gaps, the welds look solid. For those in the know, the coin shape which is exemplary of a good weld is more than present under the paint and they are well spaced and even. The decals are also put on properly. They are level and someone at least took some time to put them on squarely (I can't even begin to explain how much those things irritate me) I can't say much for the internals at this point, but the exteriors look well put together.

I'm putting them in on Saturday, so I'll have more info for you guys then. Including first ride and install pics. Maybe even a DIY if I'm feeling risky

Last edited by busdepot; 03-15-11 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 11:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

The outside of a shock absorber has precious little to do with what is inside where the real quality is determined. In all likelihood, these shocks are on a par with anything in their price range, and if your goal is to lower the car and look good, you'll be happy.

If you were looking for something track worthy, I'd say you underspent by quite a bit for a quality piece.
Old 03-15-11, 12:09 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These were prob built in the same factory as all the other cheap coilovers, then just re brand it
Old 03-15-11, 11:16 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The outside of a shock absorber has precious little to do with what is inside where the real quality is determined. In all likelihood, these shocks are on a par with anything in their price range, and if your goal is to lower the car and look good, you'll be happy.

If you were looking for something track worthy, I'd say you underspent by quite a bit for a quality piece.
Definitely won't be tracking. I have a motorbike for my track days. Just wanted something that I can drop for summers, and raise back up for winters. And I wasn't really interested in dropping huge bucks for it either. just wanted some half decent coils to do that at a reasonable price.
Old 03-15-11, 01:31 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

why not get BCRs? their cheaper than the HSD coils and have proven to be pretty good.
Old 03-15-11, 03:58 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Didn't want to pay out the a$$ for shipping to Canada, which would've end up making BCRs more expensive than what the HSD's were going to run me. It's like an extra $300 to get them across and pay the tax on them, even with the Canadian dollar being higher than the US right now. The guy at my shop (RCTS) said that these ones are going to be a better bang for the buck based on their experience with them. I trust them.

A few guys have been running them here for everything (drifting, daily drivers, etc) and have and all said they handled great. And, I got a pretty sick discount on them which sweetened the deal even more
Old 03-15-11, 05:16 PM
saiyajin
Driver

hey busdepot where you going to get these installed, looking for a reputable place locally to get my coils installed as well
Old 03-15-11, 07:38 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Doing them myself with a couple forum and RL buddies this weekend. They're going to the alignment shop next week to get them going straight.

But if you're not risky like I am, check out RCTS Calgary. They have a great shop and the guys there know what they're doing, especially on Toyota's. Ask for Jimmy, and tell him Sheldon sent you. It's the only place I go to now for everything.
Old 03-15-11, 09:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

I've known Reg at RCTS for a long time now (since my Supra days). If Reg says they're OK, they probably are.
Old 03-20-11, 09:31 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Just installed my HSD Coils with a few buddies. They look fantastic installed. I've probably put a couple hundred km's on them already. So far, they've been perfect. The drop was dialed in perfectly. The balance between comfort and stiffness is perfect. A little bit of rubbing in the front, but nothing an Eastwood and a heatgun can't fix I think. The install went without too much of a hitch, other than dropping the lower control arms to pop out the old shocks & springs which was kind of stubborn. The coils fit like a glove. The damping adjustment works like a charm. The feedback from them on a 4-5mm preload is just perfect.

I know it's early, but thus far, I'd say they're pretty decent. I'll update again in a few thousand more km to see what they're broken in a little bit.
Old 05-10-11, 01:22 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what's your review after more mileage?
Old 05-18-11, 12:21 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I'm also interested in an in-depth review
Old 05-27-11, 09:35 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Update time.

After about 2,000km on these, I have zero complaints at all. The springs settled a little more than I thought they would. They dropped about 3/4", so I may lift them up a little bit when the rain goes away in Calgary. But other than that, they have been just fantastic. I've done some sprited drives on some windy mountain roads in Alberta and BC and they have been nothing short of perfect. Sure, there's better coils out there and you can spend whatever money you want on them. But for street use, these are the ones to go with for sure. I've looked at these and the Bor Channs in person, and the HSD's are a lot more beefy.

The damping adjustment is precise, they have a nice tactile feel and actually respond to the movement of the dial. Even with a stiffer damping setup (which is what I'm running), they are still very, very drivable and don't draw from the IS's handling characteristics. But once you give it the beans in the corners, these things show their piece de resistance. The car tracks like it's on rails. I'm thrilled with them. Even though they're a pretty unknown brand, I'm going to go ahead and state they are 100% legit. And they're a bright green which looks badass through the wheels.

The only problem is my fender liners are destroyed, and I rub. But that's my own choice. Make it rub so it looks right
Old 05-27-11, 10:44 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ they sound like very good coils. Now I'm stuck between these, the Megan LP, D2 RS, and K Sport

Last edited by A_Grasso; 05-27-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 01:49 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

A buddy of mine in town here has the K-Sports on the SC 430, he wants to get rid of them. I'd recommend these if you can find them. The Megan's, the BC's and the K-Sports are all essentially the same since they're made by the same people. These ones are manufactured by different people as I understand it. Korean if I read the information correctly as opposed to Chinese. Not that it really makes a difference, but from what I've seen in other instances is that Korean QC tends to be a tick above the Chinese.

Quick Reply: HSD Coilovers