Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Swift assist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 08:37 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swift assist?

Planning on bc's but are swift assist springs worth it???? What are ur guys thoughts that have them. Don't wanna spend extra cash on something that won't make a huge difference
Old 03-17-11, 09:53 PM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait until you install the kit and then assess the situation...I'm guessing you won't need them. ; )

I'm still waiting on my BC's to come. Can't wait. My F-Sport rear sway came today.
Old 03-17-11, 09:56 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

aahh i see, i hope i dont need them. FRom what i heard it gives a more comfortable ride
Old 03-17-11, 10:28 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember i told you that they add comfort, well. to tell you the true, dont get them. i made the mistake of getting them and didnt even use them. if you want a comfortable ride, bc racing spring rates will not be as comfortable as stock. but you can always go for a softer setup or tein cst.

but if you really want the assist springs. i can give you a great deal on them. you just have to install them.
Old 03-17-11, 10:32 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

so the ride is not all that comfortable???? i heard it was great with BC
Old 03-17-11, 11:11 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

the bc racing 10/8kg is stiffer than the stock 5/5kg spring rate. So of course it will feel a little rougher. but just play with the dampening setting.

because i was told that the assist springs are 6/6kg so they are easily crushed, so it will really do nothing for comfort. once they crush, the 10/8kg comes into play.

if you are looking for comfort, go with the tein cst or get a softer spring rate.
Old 03-18-11, 08:15 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

i see, so the dampening can help with ride comfort?
Old 03-18-11, 04:17 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
it will help, but like i said, it also depends on the spring rate. you would need softer spring rate for a more comfortable ride
Old 03-18-11, 11:20 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

just ordered at 10/8 spring rate. I guess ill have to try it and see
Old 03-19-11, 04:57 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Not really worth it. It will help somewhat with ride comfort but its not gonna be a big improvement if any. Install the BCs and play with the adjustments first. Report back if you feel the adjustments still make the ride to harsh.

Directly from Swift
Assist springs have two functions. The first is the spring adds a progressive rate to the initial portion of the stroke. This progression can add increased comfort is used on a daily driver coilover setup that has stiff springs installed. It provides racers added softer spring rate progression. Once the assist crushes, the normal spring rate will take over.
The second job is the same as helper springs. They prevent the loss of traction during rebound, and extreme cornering.

Last edited by CarbonDtls; 03-19-11 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-20-11, 10:30 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

i should have them by the end of this week so ill see what i do with the setting i got 10/8 spring rate
Old 03-20-11, 10:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Depends. If you have to adjust the settings to near max soft, then the springs are not soft enough for you. Adjustable dampers are suppose to be made for fine tuning and not dramatically change your ride quality.

Ideally, I wish Swift offered assist springs in rates other than 6kg/mm, or at least longer in length. The travel may be too short to get any real 'comfort' out of them. Also, it's best to not go more than 2kg/mm from the springs you have. If your springs are 10/8, then the lowest I would ever do is 8/6, and that's pushing it.

The majority of Swift's applications are aimed towards sport compact cars so 6kg/mm may be suitable for them, but not for heavier cars.
Old 03-20-11, 12:46 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

so wheres the middle ground here? I understand that I will sacrifice some ride comfort just but having the car lowered in the first place. but what spring rate would be best if you want ride comfort? I also dont want them to soft to the point where id be rubbing and bottoming out
Old 03-20-11, 01:29 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

well when i spoke to the vedor he said that for normal street use 10/8 would be good, i also let him know that its going to be on a daily driver
Old 03-20-11, 03:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

You should just try the coils the way they are and see if you like them. Worse comes to worse, you can resell those springs and get a softer set. Someone will bound to buy the springs you have. 10/8 isn't even close to what I consider stiff, especially for a 3500lb+ car.

Quick Reply: Swift assist?