Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brakes and Rotors replacement. Do outside dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 08:08 AM
carrwash13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Rotors replacement. Do outside dealership?

So I just got the recall work done on my is350 and they said my brakes and rotors need replacement (i'm at 75k miles). So my options are:

1.Get done at Lexus dealership (assuming this is the most expensive).
2.Get done at a Toyota dealership (assuming this is my best option since it will probably cheaper)
3.Outside chain places like Midas, etc.

What are your guys opinions...should I stick to Toyota? Does it really matter where I go?
Old 03-22-11, 08:26 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you do it yourself? These are one of the easiest to replace both rotors & pads. Also, have the rotors thickness measured before spending $$ on replacements. Dealers love to sell you on replacement ones when all you need is to have them resurfaced (turned). I did mine and pads were about $55 for ceramic and $15 per rotor to resurface at local auto parts store.
Old 03-22-11, 08:31 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

if your handy with a wrench and socket, i say do it yourself. you'll save a good bit of money. its not hard at all to do pads and rotors.
Old 03-22-11, 08:58 AM
carrwash13
Rookie

Is there a DIY anywhere? Also, the lexus dealership said there wasn't enough left to resurface...not sure I trust them though.
Old 03-22-11, 09:02 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carrwash13
Is there a DIY anywhere? Also, the lexus dealership said there wasn't enough left to resurface...not sure I trust them though.
Here ya go. Plenty of info using the search button:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html
Old 03-22-11, 09:05 AM
sleets88
Rookie

just say u can't do it yourself

would midas be the cheapest? or toyota?
Old 03-22-11, 09:06 AM
sleets88
Rookie

i just got a 06 is250 140kms

when i break sometimes there's a slight noise it'sl ike a high pitch metal rubbing noise.

should i get this looked at?
Old 03-22-11, 09:38 AM
carrwash13
Rookie

ok, so I am pretty confident after reading the DIY that I can replace the pads by myself but I'm less confident about the rotors since I'm not super smart car guy. Does it matter where I got to just get the rotors done?

Also, is there a way for an untrained eye to confirm they actually need to be replaced?
Old 03-22-11, 09:39 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ur lazy like me go to toyota. If ur not and want to save some money DIY. I'm sure its pretty simple. I did brakes and rotors a looong time ago on one of other cars. It was super easy.
Old 03-22-11, 09:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

rotors are very simple. all you have to do is remove the caliper and the rotor slides off.

if you dont feel comfortable enough doing it, i wouldnt go to midas though. i never trust those nation wide chains and they typically just hire anyone that can change pads. for a peace of mind id just go to toyota or a good independent mechanic.
Old 03-22-11, 09:46 AM
carrwash13
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
rotors are very simple. all you have to do is remove the caliper and the rotor slides off.

if you dont feel comfortable enough doing it, i wouldnt go to midas though. i never trust those nation wide chains and they typically just hire anyone that can change pads. for a peace of mind id just go to toyota or a good independent mechanic.
Hmm, maybe I'll read over the DIY more. I'm assuming I can order all the parts from Sewells?
Old 03-22-11, 10:02 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would probably go with buy the parts from Sewell and have the dealership or reputable shop to have the brakes/rotors worked on.

I am sort of not confident in turning since if the rotors need to be at a certain thickness; turning them would them thinner and could essentially make the rotors more susceptible to warping with less material.

Last edited by Sango; 03-22-11 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 10:08 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also would say DIY, there's a great guide on here for it. Whatever you do, I would say don't take it to a chain shop (Midas, etc). I've never had good experiences with those places. The reason their prices are so cheap is that they get you in with a teaser price (think 19.99 oil change) then once they get your car up they tell you you need x, y, and z (like a fuel system flush for 199.99).

I just got my IS350 and haven't yet been due for a brake change but when I am, I'm going to DIY. Looking forward to it, I've always hated paying hundreds of dollars for this at the dealership.
Old 03-22-11, 10:17 AM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

another question

how about changing the whole brake (caliper, pads, rotors)?

change these at the dealer? shops outside? DIY?
Old 03-22-11, 10:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

putting on a new caliper? eh its really not much different than a typical brake and rotor job as a typical brake and rotor jobs requires you to remove the caliper except you do not disconnect the brake line.

if your replacing the caliper you have to remove the brake line and once the new caliper is installed and everything bolted back up, you need to bleed the brakes. just doing brakes or brakes and rotors does not require bleeding of the brakes as your not allowing air to get into the line like you would when you have to remove it to change calipers.

Quick Reply: Brakes and Rotors replacement. Do outside dealership?