Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension clunk from passenger rear - BC Coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 12:38 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Check the 3 top nuts, check the center shock lock nut and cehck Preload.

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.

You also want to check and make sure the top 17mm center nut is tight, it's best to check it with an impact gun if you have access to one, a wuick hit is all it should need.

Sometimes noise can come from somehwere else, endlinks, swaybars, and chassis contact can all be problems. Make sure now that the car is lowered and stiffer that you don't have exhaust contact anywhere. These are all common noise issues.
I'm assuming I can do all this while the coilover is installed on the car? Either way thank you and I will check this over the weekend
Old 03-24-11, 12:40 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah just have to take the wheel off to make it easier. You may be able to adjust the length of the coilover with your front wheels on but not the back unfortunately.
Old 03-24-11, 12:46 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

HAHA I'm fine with taking the wheel off, it would just be a pain in the *** to have to take the whole coilover off just to adjust the preload.
Old 03-25-11, 12:17 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

So I jacked the car up today and tightened the center nut on the shock, I was able to do it with a hand tool. That, however, did not fix it. Tomorrow I will be preloading the coilover and checking other possible causes. I will update after I do those.
Old 03-25-11, 05:38 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

did you reset the bushings when you installed it?? Check your sway bar connections to the lower control arm.
Old 03-25-11, 07:50 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Make sure your sway bar link are tight also.
Old 03-26-11, 08:12 AM
kainoa67
Rookie

rizzy...this is a little off topic, but wondering how you like the ride of the BC coilovers on the AWD? How is it in relation to the stock ride?

I've been contemplating for some time now, currently I just have fsport springs...but i wish the ride wasn't as stiff. but i don't want to go back to 4-wheeling.
Old 03-26-11, 10:04 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
did you reset the bushings when you installed it?? Check your sway bar connections to the lower control arm.
I will do that when I do everything else. I have to get a floor jack before I do anymore work though. It gets old real fast using the scissor jack to jack the car up.

Originally Posted by laobo979
Make sure your sway bar link are tight also.
Will check this out also. Thanks

Originally Posted by kainoa67
rizzy...this is a little off topic, but wondering how you like the ride of the BC coilovers on the AWD? How is it in relation to the stock ride?

I've been contemplating for some time now, currently I just have fsport springs...but i wish the ride wasn't as stiff. but i don't want to go back to 4-wheeling.
The ride for me is fine. Its a little stiffer than stock, but you can adjust that with the dampening. Overall I would buy these again, make sure you pick up the steering damper if you get the coils. That helps a bunch with vibrations.
Old 03-28-11, 03:58 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

So I just finished up redoing everything short of taking the coilover out. I reset the bushings, I preloaded the coilover, I checked all the nuts and bolts, and i checked the other suspension parts. Nothing solved the issue. I still believe that there is a "dead spot" in the shock that is causing the clunking. It doesn't seem normal to me to be able to compress the shock by hand any amount, and I can do about +/- 1". I have been in contact with BC Racing and they've requested that I send them pictures of the installed coilover . So I snapped a couple pics and took two videos of me being able to compress the shock. Let's hope that this is enough proof they need.
Old 03-28-11, 04:31 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Do you all see anything wrong with the way I installed it?

Compressing with my knees (click to view video)

Clunk Noise (Click to view video)
Old 03-28-11, 04:50 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

thats crazy....howd you get the video for the clunk? but no, I dont see anything wrong right off the bat. Just one loose nut can make it clunk like nobodies business.
Old 03-28-11, 05:05 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

I torqued every bolt/nut that is affixed to a moving part I could find to spec.

To get the video of the clunk I wedge my phone in the tire tread and lifted the wheel up as hard as I could to simulate a bump. The suspension did the rest (i.e. clunk).
Old 03-28-11, 05:58 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rizzy
I torqued every bolt/nut that is affixed to a moving part I could find to spec.

To get the video of the clunk I wedge my phone in the tire tread and lifted the wheel up as hard as I could to simulate a bump. The suspension did the rest (i.e. clunk).
is there anyway you can do that while looking to see where the noise is coming from? Like maybe having a friend do the lifting while you get a look?
Old 03-29-11, 07:06 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flektone
is there anyway you can do that while looking to see where the noise is coming from? Like maybe having a friend do the lifting while you get a look?
I think I'm gonna ride in the trunk while my gf drives around the block. Let's hope claustrophobia doesn't set it.
Old 03-29-11, 07:09 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rizzy
I think I'm gonna ride in the trunk while my gf drives around the block. Let's hope claustrophobia doesn't set it.
definitely let us know how you make out. if everything is tighten to spec like you say it almost sounds like its the coil itself is making the noise.

Quick Reply: Suspension clunk from passenger rear - BC Coils