Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

suspension noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 07:33 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradHoff
Ive had my coilovers for about 3 months now and i recently got the "clunk". It is coming from the front right corner/tire and its only noticable when im on harshish roads. Im on Megan EZ coilovers and their was no clunk when I first installed them, only after i got low and whatnot. wondering if ANYONE has found a definitive solution to the clunk yet???
Yeah I finally figured out my issue with my clunkking with the Megans.One of two things it's time for you to get new arm bushings(which is the more squeaking sound)or like TechGeek said your riding on your shocks instead of your springs so adjust the bottom collars up a little so there is more tension on the spring.The springs may look stiff and all but,with my Megans I have already had to tighten the collars up 3x times now cause they slowly loosen on it's own from all the road vibration.Nothing to worry about
Old 05-23-12, 07:43 PM
BradHoff
Driver

Originally Posted by mk4r34
Yeah I finally figured out my issue with my clunkking with the Megans.One of two things it's time for you to get new arm bushings(which is the more squeaking sound)or like TechGeek said your riding on your shocks instead of your springs so adjust the bottom collars up a little so there is more tension on the spring.The springs may look stiff and all but,with my Megans I have already had to tighten the collars up 3x times now cause they slowly loosen on it's own from all the road vibration.Nothing to worry about
This is known as the "preload" correct? From my understanding their is suppose to be some play in the spring, about 1mm? I thought this was causeing it so i did adjust up the top two collars so their was a little preload but im still getting the noise. Should i move them up further? I mean their not too preloaded as of now.
Old 05-23-12, 07:55 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

This is known as the "preload" correct? From my understanding their is suppose to be some play in the spring, about 1mm? I thought this was causeing it so i did adjust up the top two collars so their was a little preload but im still getting the noise. Should i move them up further? I mean their not too preloaded as of now.
Yes preload and yes,move them up further.As for the play in them I haven't heard of it?I know back in my Honda days play didn't matter on my coils but,these are heavier cars built differently.The 1mm play?You won't notice it even when there is tension on the springs(trust me).You just have to play with it and adjust them up until the clunking stops.
Old 05-23-12, 08:00 PM
BradHoff
Driver

Alright ill try it and report back tomorrow, thanks for the fast responses
Old 05-23-12, 08:14 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Alright ill try it and report back tomorrow, thanks for the fast responses
No problem just bored trying to get some good karma to help me find a good job
Old 05-23-12, 08:36 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

There should be zero play in the spring. Adjust it as tight as it will go without changing the height of the spring ( should be the same height as it is unloaded completely).

Preload will cause major issues if you're not tuning suspension for it at the track and start hitting bumps on the street. Play in the spring will cause major ride quality issues and kill the shock <ever heard a 3500 lb car land on the side of the bottom of the coil then reseat it self? Louddddd pops>.

http://www.meganracing.com/tech/inst...5&subject=CDK:

Read it ten times. Alignment and preload needs to be set after ride height changes. Set your ride height then double check spring height.
Old 05-24-12, 05:43 PM
BradHoff
Driver

So i began to reset the spring on the wheel thats making the noise, and i notice i had ALOT of preset. So i obviously was riding on springs even tho the ride was not very harsh. i reset it and then tightened all the springs to the point where they would not constrict, but were tight and i was not able to move/twist them at all. Ill report back when i take it for a test run
Old 05-25-12, 09:08 AM
BradHoff
Driver

So i began to reset the spring on the wheel thats making the noise, and i notice i had ALOT of preset. So i obviously was riding on springs even tho the ride was not very harsh. i reset it and then tightened all the springs to the point where they would not constrict, but were tight and i was not able to move/twist them at all. Ill report back when i take it for a test run
after setting the fronts and rears everything was perfect, but the clunking is still there if not worse. i cant move the spring at all or even twist it. the spring was 8 in. when fully unloaded and i put it to 7 3/4 in. so their is no way the spring is making the noise? also when i tighten the nut on top of the whole coilover, it just moves the whole assembly with it. is that normal?
Old 05-25-12, 09:18 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

The spring height when tightened should be the exact same as it is unloaded. Zero Preload. You've got your springs compressed right now so you're riding on less shock travel and are super heating the oils inside of them.

You need to have it at 8 inches if that's the same with the spring off the assembly.

The center stop nut should be torqued to spec as well as the four tower nuts and the bottom. There should be zero movement in the assembly in terms of the overall structure.
Old 05-28-12, 07:47 AM
carguychar
Driver School Candidate

Default clunking sound

have you noticed that everyone has the same problem with ls4oo front end ! I love my LS400 but have spent all the money and time trying to find this noise ! I've decided to drive it until it breaks then I will know what it was. I've taken it to several shops, replaced several parts, still getting that sound. I give up, love the car but Lexus blew it big time in this area !!!! good luck PS: sound is getting worse so hope to find out soon ! Lol
Old 05-29-12, 11:26 PM
baloyr
Driver School Candidate

oil everything! haha
Old 06-03-12, 10:16 AM
BradHoff
Driver

Originally Posted by baloyr
oil everything! haha
Im about to just dip the whole coilover in some wd40... its been 2 weeks and ive adjusted the coilovers about 5-6 times making sure everything is correct. 0 preload, no vertical play, i can spin the spring with force, everythhing tightened to oem torque specs, and all i hear in the front is CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK when going over bumpy roads. The coils still have less than 500 miles and the noises started after about 100 miles on them. maybe in that 100 miles something went bad?
Old 06-03-12, 10:17 AM
BradHoff
Driver

only happends in the front, rears are fine and set the same way as the front 0 preload and all
Old 06-03-12, 10:59 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Some pillow ball mounts are louder than others by the way.

Did you check your sway bar end links?
Old 06-03-12, 11:09 AM
BradHoff
Driver

^ agreed but these sounded fine when i first got them, and i will check the sway bars

Quick Reply: suspension noises