Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-sport springs vs. Megan coils

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 02:41 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-sport springs vs. Megan coils

...so my question to the CL world is this...

how much of a softer ride would I have with the Megan EZ system vs. the f-sport springs which I am currently on now? I want to switch mainly because the f-sport springs are so freakin rough. Going down the interstate is fine but as soon as the road gets a little bumpy im bouncing all over the place.

Going lower isn't my first priority, however it will be nice. Will these coils provide me with a softer ride or should my expectations remain the same?

Thanks CL
Old 04-13-11, 09:59 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Megan LP's which have more dampening ability. That's where I think you'd want the softest setting if you're looking for a comfy ride. I've lowered ALL of my previous cars so I am used to bumps though. Good luck.
Old 04-15-11, 08:15 PM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Despite having firmer rates than the F-Sports, the ride will most likely be smoother because the EZ dampers are made to control those springs unlike F-Sport Springs wiith stock shocks, especially on the AWD with less front suspension travel. My buddy constantly hits his front bump stops over rougher parts of town when my 180lb *** sitting shotgun. It seriously feels like we jumped a curb , and he's only on stock 17's which have 225/45 series tires. I have BC Racing default 10kg/8kg like the EZ's and the ride is amazing even on rough Seattle pothole ridden roads. It rides smoother than my '05 TL A-Spec Sport package suspension.

Compared to my buddy's AWD with F-Sports springs, BC Racing coils actually dampen the irregularities and allow me to maintain control of the car. The only way to control the F-Sport progressive spring is with the F-Sport Bilstein shocks which I've also test driven. Problem is that at $650 for shocks, you could already have a set of Megan EZ or by 2/3 way to having BC Racing adjustable coilovers.

The only downside of aftermarket adjustable coilovers that I've experienced is that they're shorter than the stock coils, so lifting a rear tire in aggressive cornering is pretty easy to do and takes time to adjust driving habits to compensate for it.

On the plus side, no suspension travel is lost with the design of decent adjustable coilovers. You still maintain tons of travel compared to using a lowering spring and OEM length shocks.
Old 04-16-11, 06:41 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think you want a softer ride if you say you don't like the bounce. Stiffer is what you want then most coilover will do.
Old 04-16-11, 08:42 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by binhster
Despite having firmer rates than the F-Sports, the ride will most likely be smoother because the EZ dampers are made to control those springs unlike F-Sport Springs wiith stock shocks, especially on the AWD with less front suspension travel. My buddy constantly hits his front bump stops over rougher parts of town when my 180lb *** sitting shotgun. It seriously feels like we jumped a curb , and he's only on stock 17's which have 225/45 series tires. I have BC Racing default 10kg/8kg like the EZ's and the ride is amazing even on rough Seattle pothole ridden roads. It rides smoother than my '05 TL A-Spec Sport package suspension.

Compared to my buddy's AWD with F-Sports springs, BC Racing coils actually dampen the irregularities and allow me to maintain control of the car. The only way to control the F-Sport progressive spring is with the F-Sport Bilstein shocks which I've also test driven. Problem is that at $650 for shocks, you could already have a set of Megan EZ or by 2/3 way to having BC Racing adjustable coilovers.

The only downside of aftermarket adjustable coilovers that I've experienced is that they're shorter than the stock coils, so lifting a rear tire in aggressive cornering is pretty easy to do and takes time to adjust driving habits to compensate for it.

On the plus side, no suspension travel is lost with the design of decent adjustable coilovers. You still maintain tons of travel compared to using a lowering spring and OEM length shocks.
Thanks man!

Last edited by niteLEX; 04-16-11 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 02:33 AM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem. If the F-Sport shocks could be had for $400, I probably would have gone the lowering spring route. Before I bought the IS, I had found my brother and a buddy sets of new F-Sport wheels for $1000 as well as F-Sport shocks for $400. That connection is long gone though. : (
Old 04-17-11, 06:01 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

yeah megans can ride softer than stock... or stiffer; its up to you mang