Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Looking for OEM replacement shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 09:33 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Looking for OEM replacement shocks

Is there an aftermarket equivalent for the OEM shocks (not F-sport)? I could not locate any part #'s (other than the OEM #'s). I'm looking to keep the same specs. No need for adjustability like the D-spec's.
Old 04-18-11, 10:26 AM
JDMis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you look into Bilsten or Hotchkis?
Old 04-18-11, 09:19 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDMis350
did you look into Bilsten or Hotchkis?
Yes, I'm not finding anything for the IS350.
Old 04-23-11, 06:31 PM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

F-Sport Shocks = Bilstein Shocks. Cheaper than OEM Tokicos and I am pretty sure they're must better quality. Brother in law has them on his GS (same part # as IS) with Tanabe DF springs and rides well and shocks are holding up after 1.5 years.

My OEM IS350 shocks (2006) were done after 28k miles. Removed them few weekends ago for BC Racing Coilovers and 3 out of 4 OEM Tokicos have been leaking badly for awhile from looks of it.
Old 04-23-11, 06:35 PM
binhster
Rookie

Alternatively, you can get the OEM Sport Suspension shocks which are valves firmer for the Sport Suspension. I believe they're the same as the new F-Sport Model IS for 2011.
Old 04-24-11, 07:16 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by binhster
F-Sport Shocks = Bilstein Shocks. Cheaper than OEM Tokicos and I am pretty sure they're must better quality. Brother in law has them on his GS (same part # as IS) with Tanabe DF springs and rides well and shocks are holding up after 1.5 years.

My OEM IS350 shocks (2006) were done after 28k miles. Removed them few weekends ago for BC Racing Coilovers and 3 out of 4 OEM Tokicos have been leaking badly for awhile from looks of it.
My OEM shocks went out pretty quickly after installing the H&R's. Must have been around 30k-40k miles. The ride quality is the OEM (non-sport) shocks and the H&R springs was perfect for me. With the F-sport shocks on the H&R springs it's just a bit too bouncy. Not much but definitely on rough surfaces you can tell a major difference. That's why I'm looking for OEM shocks.
Old 04-24-11, 10:22 AM
binhster
Rookie

Originally Posted by autovation
My OEM shocks went out pretty quickly after installing the H&R's. Must have been around 30k-40k miles. The ride quality is the OEM (non-sport) shocks and the H&R springs was perfect for me. With the F-sport shocks on the H&R springs it's just a bit too bouncy. Not much but definitely on rough surfaces you can tell a major difference. That's why I'm looking for OEM shocks.
That's surprising that F-Sport Shocks gave you a more bouncy ride than OEM shocks. I'd expect a firmer more controlled ride on F-Sport shocks with any spring combo available for our cars. The H&R are progressively rated if I'm not mistaken which makes it tough for any shock to properly dampen all its ranges. Since F-Sport shocks have firmer valving, they probably dampen large bumps better than the OEMs; however they probably feel a little rougher on smaller joints compared to OEM since the spring rates are softer initially.

I say this assuming H&R are progressive. My buddy has F-Sport springs only which are progressive and his OEM shocks can only handle the spring's initial rates but certaintly not the final rates causing bad bounce. It is too bad that other manufactures like Koni don't make an adjustable shock for our cars. The only alternative is coilovers which is the route I choose and have been very happy with. My BC Racing default 10kg/8kg suspension feels perfect and compliant even on the roughest roads. Night and day compared to F-Sport Springs only and smoother than my buddy's IS350 Sport Package.

If your F-Sport shocks are in good shape still, you could swap out to something like Tein S-Tech or Tanabe DF210 which have linear rates only slightly firmer than stock yet similar drop.