Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

raise/lower coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 12:51 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raise/lower coilovers

I got cusco coilovers on my sc300. I never had problems raise and lower my car until today.

I unlocked the bottom nut first ("fully adjustable stainless steel nut")

How do I move the thread body to raise/lower my coilover? It is install on the car already and I don't want to take it out. What makes the thread body move? I try move the springs and the springs nut but they only move the springs and not the thread body. There not enough space or a good grip to grab the thread body to move it by hand.
Old 04-30-11, 12:56 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the height perch is loosened, you can turn the bottom perch of the preload adjustment with the wrench to increase the height. To lower, turn the top perch of the preload adjustment.
Old 04-30-11, 01:35 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SChema
Once the height perch is loosened, you can turn the bottom perch of the preload adjustment with the wrench to increase the height. To lower, turn the top perch of the preload adjustment.
Yea i try that way and it seems to move the springs only not the thread body
Old 04-30-11, 01:39 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the fronts and rears seperately obviously. But, what i do when i want to change the heights is jack up the front/rear, and un bolt the top mounts. Then raise/lower, and bolt it back up. You may need to push down on the hub/brakes, but it's not that bad.
Old 04-30-11, 01:52 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by horent135
Yea i try that way and it seems to move the springs only not the thread body
Sounds to me the locking perches for the spring rate adjustment has back off and has no tension against each other. Tighten those two together and give it another try, should fix the issue.
Old 04-30-11, 02:20 PM
2slowsc300
Driver

Originally Posted by SChema
Sounds to me the locking perches for the spring rate adjustment has back off and has no tension against each other. Tighten those two together and give it another try, should fix the issue.
X2 what he said
Old 04-30-11, 10:32 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

uhm... not sure i got the vocabulary used right, but from my understanding, loosen that "fully adjustable stainless steel locking nut" and the whole shock body should be able to get threaded in or out of that bottom perch (the part connected to the lower control arm) to set the height. I would not be using the preload adjustments (stainless steel lock nut and lower seat) to determine height as that will just make it ride like crap. Once you have your height set through the shock, with the car up in the air, set the preload adjustment so that the spring is pressed up against the upper mount be can still be rotated about the shock body and tighten down the lock nut and lower seat.

also, it will be somewhat hard to rotate the shock body while on the car simply because of the tension put on it already and if you've been driving already with it installed, there will be dirt/grime that will have gotten into the threads to resist threading into or out of that lower mount
Old 05-02-11, 05:31 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexAnt
uhm... not sure i got the vocabulary used right, but from my understanding, loosen that "fully adjustable stainless steel locking nut" and the whole shock body should be able to get threaded in or out of that bottom perch (the part connected to the lower control arm) to set the height. I would not be using the preload adjustments (stainless steel lock nut and lower seat) to determine height as that will just make it ride like crap. Once you have your height set through the shock, with the car up in the air, set the preload adjustment so that the spring is pressed up against the upper mount be can still be rotated about the shock body and tighten down the lock nut and lower seat.

also, it will be somewhat hard to rotate the shock body while on the car simply because of the tension put on it already and if you've been driving already with it installed, there will be dirt/grime that will have gotten into the threads to resist threading into or out of that lower mount
The car was up in the air while I was doing this. Using the springs nut, it only moves the springs up or down. The thread body will not move. I know I probably messed up the preload adjustment already. Like you said, the spring should be fitted not tight, but by doing that it will not move the thread body, only the springs.

Other has suggested that my springs aren't tight enough which is why I can't move the thread body. Maybe I should tighten the springs more and hopefully the thread body will move?
Old 05-02-11, 05:44 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Worst case, you could start from scratch and set your preload to zero. Loosen both locking perches and apply enough pressure on the spring to give it slight tension/friction against the hat. Then lock the adjustment with the second locking perch. Once you have made sure the preload adjustment is nice an tight you should be able to adjust the ride height. Unless the shock tube is seized, you should be able to twist the assembly with a perch wrench using the preload adjustment perches as leverage.

Make sure the ride height perch (bottom of three perches) is loosened. Use the lower perch (middle of the three perches) of the preload adjustment to raise the car and the upper perch (first of three perches started from the top looking down) to lower the car. Once you have your desired height, tighten up everything and you should be good to go.
Old 05-03-11, 01:13 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The threaded body should move into and out of the lower mount to raise and lower the car. If it is not moving it may be seized or if you are trying to lower it more it may be bottomed out already.
Old 05-03-11, 01:54 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

^ word, you should be able to thread the entire shock assembly into or out of that lower mount (the part connected to the lower control arm). the spring nuts have nothing to do with height, just spring preload.

once you loosen that bottom nut of the lower mount, the WHOLE shock body should rotate into or out of the lower mount. At this point of adjusting height, the spring nuts shouldn't even come into play until after you have tightened down the height nut.
Old 05-03-11, 03:28 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^, Actually spring preload will change as a counter reaction to more or less preload dialed in from zero.
Old 05-09-11, 04:35 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Help!!! I got the spammer wrench now. This only happen on one of my coilover, the rest are fine. The problem is the thread body is def stuck. I tighten the spring to get the thread body to move. No luck there, the spring keeps getting tighter. I think it has road grime and dirt around the thread body .. I blast alot of PB blaster, but no luck there. Any suggestion?

Last edited by horent135; 05-09-11 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 04:52 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

can't you just put a bolt through the bottom mount so that it's secured? i don't get why or how lowering/raising coils should seem so complicated.
the steps that usually take place when I adjust coils on any car:
1. loosen the "nut" or ring that tightens down against the bottom mount
2. unbolt bottom mount from lca
3. rotate as necessary to lengthen/shorten shock
4. put bolt back in to secure bottom mount to lca
5. tighten ring
6. put wheel back on, only to realize you lowered/raised it too much.
7. repeat.
Old 05-09-11, 05:52 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

This is my exact problem...

Quick Reply: raise/lower coilovers