Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Entire Front End Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 07:58 AM
RockRash
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2HkgvjU9jo
Old 05-21-11, 09:20 AM
RockRash
Pole Position

i checked front to rear. after you rock the car f and b then it stops it creaks afterwords. checked the drive shaft rubber boots their fine. so what else could it be there's no more play on all 4 wheels i torqed everything down with a 300lb impact. tightened up all the nuts and bolts . didn't mean to take over your thread it was just related

Aaron
Old 05-21-11, 10:04 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RockRash
WTH is that clanking at 11 seconds? Are those bolt on spacers on top of the rotors, or just your rotors? (seems like there's way too many holes for it to be just rotors )

If they are spacers, they should be holding the rotor tightly, so any in-out play there must be wheel bearings. If it is just rotors, try adding a few lugnuts to tighten the rotor to the hub and then see if that same clanking noise is there.

Also, I just have to say that if you have been using a 300ft lb. impact wrench to tighten lugnuts, it's no wonder you ended up with a messed up nut and stud

(My apologies to TechGreek for continuing this threadjack)

Last edited by good2go; 05-21-11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 06:39 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
WTH is that clanking at 11 seconds? Are those bolt on spacers on top of the rotors, or just your rotors? (seems like there's way too many holes for it to be just rotors )

If they are spacers, they should be holding the rotor tightly, so any in-out play there must be wheel bearings. If it is just rotors, try adding a few lugnuts to tighten the rotor to the hub and then see if that same clanking noise is there.

Also, I just have to say that if you have been using a 300ft lb. impact wrench to tighten lugnuts, it's no wonder you ended up with a messed up nut and stud

(My apologies to TechGreek for continuing this threadjack)
i just used it today but i had it regulated down to about 2. i dont have any spacers this is how the car came when i bought it.
Old 05-21-11, 06:48 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

The clunking will always be there without a phillips screw to secure the rotor down to the hub...which by the way is ok.

As far as an impact, it's ok to zip the bolts down just make sure you use a torque wrench for the final setting.

When you say rock the car front to back, do you mean like pushing on the trunk in a forward to backward motion or up/down motion?

As far as the video, that doesn't do much (spinning). Take the caliper and the rotor off (should take five minutes, make sure and hang the caliper properly so it doesn't stretch the brake line).

You need to physically grab with both hands and try to shake it like a crying baby...so kidding

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXZYx...eature=related

I'd rather help someone and spread knowledge/gain knowledge then see another damn Coil Over/Look At My Car/199X SCXX Only 5 Speed Whatever ONLY threads

Last edited by TechGreek; 05-21-11 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 06:50 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

im getting it put on a lift tomorrow. cause it sounds like it's one of the skid plates banging around when i go to turn. but im gonna start replacing all the bushings and bearings , new struts springs etc so i'll at least know my suspension is all good. dunno the exact history of the parts.
Old 05-21-11, 07:13 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

rock the car from the rear forward. or from the front and pushing backwards. . when it stops moving that's when you hear the sqealing or screech like noise. then when your turning sharp it makes it sound like a train. it's not happening all the time.

Last edited by RockRash; 05-21-11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 08:30 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek
The clunking will always be there without a phillips screw to secure the rotor down to the hub...which by the way is ok.

As far as the video, that doesn't do much (spinning). Take the caliper and the rotor off (should take five minutes, make sure and hang the caliper properly so it doesn't stretch the brake line).

You need to physically grab with both hands and try to shake it like a crying baby...so kidding

I'd rather help someone and spread knowledge/gain knowledge then see another damn Coil Over/Look At My Car/199X SCXX Only 5 Speed Whatever ONLY threads
Yeah, that's why I was saying he needs to put a few lugnuts on it. There's not really a need to remove the caliper and rotor if he does that. The rotor will only add to the leverage he has to try and wiggle the bearings. If it wiggles at all that way, you can bet there will be some noise generated while driving when the rotor moves between the pads.

BTW, I agree about your choice of interesting threads

aaaand one more thing . . . Can you make sense of all those extra holes in his rotor?

last but not least...it's starting to sound like the car may have multiple issues going on

Last edited by good2go; 05-21-11 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 08:48 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
Yeah, that's why I was saying he needs to put a few lugnuts on it. There's not really a need to remove the caliper and rotor if he does that. The rotor will only add to the leverage he has to try and wiggle the bearings. If it wiggles at all that way, you can bet there will be some noise generated while driving when the rotor moves between the pads.

BTW, I agree about your choice of interesting threads

aaaand one more thing . . . Can you make sense of all those extra holes in his rotor?

it does and it's unlike a lexus. they just started to show up. on that one side i have 4 stock lug nuts. i haven't replaced the missing stud yet. when i torque down the wheel it doesn't have any play at all. was screeching when it went backwards now it doesn't. it drives straight you can't hear it (i've got a hearing aid so it's all amplified). every now and then when i go to turn it sounds like a train like metal clicking or clanging. im gonna take off the pans and get a deeper look at things tomorrow. u can drive all day and it will ride just as smooth as i bought it. and then like i said earlier it makes that ratchety train like noise some times. * could all this just happen over a missing stud? *
last but not least...it's starting to sound like the car may have multiple issues going on

this is my first Lexus im aimed at keeping it running and looking good. so i dont want to cut corners on working on it if you feel me. right now it's my only dd till i finish my engine build for my yota. so im hoping to explain my problems and somebody mighta had the same issues.

Last edited by RockRash; 05-21-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 10:50 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

alright bear with me. got the car up on the ramps took off the splash guard and checked everything. cv boots are good like new no parts are moving inside of them. no bends in the arms. rods, sway bar bushings are good everything is solid under there. dont have enough light to take off the caliper and check and hub . then i lifted up the rear checked the drive shaft rubber boots their good for a while since i dont dog out my car. checked the rear suspension bushings everything is good. turned the wheels, rotated them not a damn sound. i hate gremlins.

no leaks anywhere from the rack and pinion it moves super smooth had a buddy turn the wheel while i watched. took and raised up the car with one of the exhaust jacks then let it drop to see how the suspension works under load. no issues

got all that narrowed down to where we all hear the sound on the passenger side. wheel bearing. hub, bad rotor , because i only have 4 instead of 5 studs (never had a noise out of other vehicles cause of a missing stud) could my spindle/hub be untorqued or slightly warped?
Old 05-21-11, 11:37 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RockRash
it does and it's unlike a lexus. they just started to show up. on that one side i have 4 stock lug nuts. i haven't replaced the missing stud yet. when i torque down the wheel it doesn't have any play at all. was screeching when it went backwards now it doesn't. it drives straight you can't hear it (i've got a hearing aid so it's all amplified). every now and then when i go to turn it sounds like a train like metal clicking or clanging. im gonna take off the pans and get a deeper look at things tomorrow. u can drive all day and it will ride just as smooth as i bought it. and then like i said earlier it makes that ratchety train like noise some times. * could all this just happen over a missing stud? *

this is my first Lexus im aimed at keeping it running and looking good. so i dont want to cut corners on working on it if you feel me. right now it's my only dd till i finish my engine build for my yota. so im hoping to explain my problems and somebody mighta had the same issues.
If it's a real metal-to-metal sound, that could be caused by a cracked/broken wheel, rotor, or hub. When metal flexes at a crack while it's rotating it will sound like that. But, make sure it's not just a tire rubbing something inside the fender well, that can make an awful noise too. I wonder if you might just swap the wheels on the front of the car (side to side) and see if the noise follow the wheel or stays on the passenger side (it would be good to eliminate the wheels as a possible cause). I'm a bit suspicious of the possibility you could have damaged something when you removed that bad lugnut though.
Old 05-22-11, 12:20 AM
RockRash
Pole Position

i didn't think about changing wheels to see if it follows gonna try that. everybody so far says they only hear the noise on the passenger side like i stated. i narrowed all that down except to the point of taking off the caliper and taking the whole hub apart. i'll do that next. the lil dust shield doesn't seem to be bent but i'll check to see if it might be rubbing if it is i can cut it down a with the cut off tool.
Old 05-22-11, 08:42 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Is it a SCREECH or a CLUNKING noise? Huge Difference

A Control Arm with NO grease left in it will start screeching when you turn left/right.

The multiple phillips head slots are for them to sell the rotors to a mass group of car models instead of just one specific model.

I still need a video of the noise.

A car can ride around on three studs and be ok, it's not that.
Old 05-22-11, 03:11 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

i been so tired today i just slept (radiation treatments will wear your *** down). now that you mention it nothing on the car as been greased down since i bought it couple months ago. i'll get my g/f to record a video while im driving the screech noise is when it's stoped like a small rubbing noise. and then the clunking noise happens some times when i go to turn like something just pops outta place or gets in the way. and disappears it may not do it again for hrs or the next day.
Old 05-22-11, 09:22 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

btw guys thanks for all the pitching in and trying to help. hopefully i'll pin point exactly what the problem is and get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Entire Front End Rebuilt