Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunking is making me go nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-11 | 06:16 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Default Clunking is making me go nuts!!!

OK i know there are a bunch of thread about this and i have spent many hours just reading to pin point the issue.

Well recently about a month ago i got my BC coils installed. Then 2 days later i had plans with a few other members to have the F sport sway bar installed. Well after tha i have been having the infamous clunk/knocking noise. Now i cant tell if its the coil of the sway bar or if its mixed. I didnt drive enough to check before i got my sways bars installed to see if there was any noise with the coils.

Rizzy dropped by one day but we couldnt really pinpoint the issue since it wasnt making enough noise to decipher it.

Even went doen and tightened the bushing a little to see if it would work but nothing. I even went ahead and ordered the F Sport bushing from sewell to see if it would go away but no.

I bought the sway bar used form a member which he took off a IS250 Awd, i dont know if this has to do with anything but the bushing that came with it were very loose, this is why i ordered new ones.

Could someone help me out with this
Old 05-07-11 | 06:41 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Bump for same question I have.
Old 05-07-11 | 11:02 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

you need to retorque everything. i had put in f-sport springs before and for some reason, a few bolts got loose overtime where i lost a nut to one of them and another ended up being loose but you couldn't tell from looking. where's the clunk coming from as in which corner(s)?

i know for me, i had 2 incidences where the sway bar endlinks were slightly loose (one where i honestly lost the nut and the other I almost did). The second scenario I had the further inner bolt was about 3 and a 1/2 turns out of spec on my LCA (the one that connect it into the chassis). I don't know how ANY of these bolts came loose but they did. Once retightened, I have yet to have any other issues with clunking.

I'd say pull up the torque specs for all suspension bolts and go at it with your wrenches. Just tighten things even if you know they're tight.

BTW hwo are the sways and coils? I'm considering to go over to bc racing coils and f-sport sways myself
Old 05-07-11 | 11:15 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

ill give that a try, ill just need to pick up a torque wrench. I didnt take a look at the endlinks to see if anything was out of place but the sounds coming from the left side when sitting in the drivers seat.

Bc and f sport sways are a 2 thumbs up. You can really feel a difference in handling and cornering. Ride quality is like stock if u set it to the right settings
Old 05-08-11 | 05:52 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

you should remove the sway and drive around for awhile to see if you hear the noise. thats going to be your best bet. its probably your coils though. didnt you make another thread about this and BC sent you a new coil or cartridge? Maybe that was someone else.
Old 05-08-11 | 08:56 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Ill see if i can take the sways off at home, cuz the first time around the nuts wont come off the endlinks.

Naw, that was rizzy that made a thread about his BC coils
Old 05-08-11 | 01:06 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

remove all bolts. Tape the threads with that blue tape (forget what it's called) that really really helps with vibrations and it also doesn't allow the bolt to become unthreaded. Once the tape is all on your bolts re-torque to spec.