Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Upper ball joints & lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 08:50 PM
1lexus2c
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper ball joints & lower ball joints

Hi I'm in the process of changing all my bushings to daizen and changing my lower ball joint..

Do I have to change my upper ball joint also? Are thy prone to break like the lower ball joints?

If the upper ball joints fail are thy as dangerous like the lower ones?

I check the prices and their $327 a piece..:/(
Thanks in advance guys
Old 05-18-11, 08:57 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

327 a piece is expensive man. You can find them on ebay for much much cheaper. The ones i used on all 3 of my previous GS's were ebay ones and between the 3 cars i put in about 200k miles and had absolutely no issues. Mind you im also in Michigan where the roads are ****ty and the car takes major abuse.
Old 05-18-11, 09:22 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know the upper arm ball joints aren't as dangerous as the lower if they fail.

I actually have to change my upper arms cause the ball joint is shot. But I don't think the wheel will fly off or anything. But if it needs replacing, then by all means, replace it.
Old 05-18-11, 09:38 PM
1lexus2c
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D-Boi
327 a piece is expensive man. You can find them on ebay for much much cheaper. The ones i used on all 3 of my previous GS's were ebay ones and between the 3 cars i put in about 200k miles and had absolutely no issues. Mind you im also in Michigan where the roads are ****ty and the car takes major abuse.

Yeah that price was on Sewell and that's our club Lexus price.. Mind posting a link?.. Appreciate it
Old 05-18-11, 10:20 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GS300...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GS300...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-19-11, 10:16 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Beck Arnley UCA's at Rock Auto are $117.79. I replaced both of the UCA's on my GS with them.
Old 05-20-11, 12:00 AM
1lexus2c
Pole Position

Did anyone had a experience of upper ball joint failed? And what was the damage caused?
Old 05-20-11, 07:23 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I use "auto parts way" for parts, shipping is fast, and good service.
I LOVED the Daizen bushings until winter came around the same time I had them on for 4 months and they started to squeak a lot, I tried lubricating them with silicone lubricant, but no luck, still lots of squeaking. In hindsight, I would not have installed them all, maybe just the two large ones for the lower control arm to chassis. I drive a lot, and I just replaced my upper ball joints, which includes the upper control arm and the bushings and I must say that I'm very happy to have the "stock" bushings back on the uppers, also the squeaking is completely gone.

If your upper ball joints break then you wheel can damage the fender, same as the lowers. Also when installing the bushings you may damage the ball joints and have to replace them, which includes new bushings...

Replacing the stock bushings with the Daizen bushings is no picnic, I know what I'm doing and it took me two days for all 6(?) bushings, about 16 hours of work. You MUST get someone to install the two large bushings on the lower control arm for you, you need a press, cost me $20 at a local shop when I brought them the control are and bushing (not installed on the car). You MUST have a ball joint removal tool, or a "front end service kit" you will not get the ball joints out/in without this, and without damaging them. Even if you are replacing them all with new ones you still need the tool. All the small bushings will be a challenge to get out of the control arms, I used a vice, and c-clamps, and sockets, and lots of other stuff, I'm a big guy (6'4" 250lbs) and it was nearly impossible to get some of the old bushings out.

So, my advice is this, Replace:
Lower control are large bushing to chassis - Daizen (must get someone to press in new one)
"stock" upper control arms (includes new bushings and ball joints)
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar links
and whatever else needs replaced
Old 05-20-11, 08:53 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hacker_720
I use "auto parts way" for parts, shipping is fast, and good service.
I LOVED the Daizen bushings until winter came around the same time I had them on for 4 months and they started to squeak a lot, I tried lubricating them with silicone lubricant, but no luck, still lots of squeaking. In hindsight, I would not have installed them all, maybe just the two large ones for the lower control arm to chassis. I drive a lot, and I just replaced my upper ball joints, which includes the upper control arm and the bushings and I must say that I'm very happy to have the "stock" bushings back on the uppers, also the squeaking is completely gone.

If your upper ball joints break then you wheel can damage the fender, same as the lowers. Also when installing the bushings you may damage the ball joints and have to replace them, which includes new bushings...

Replacing the stock bushings with the Daizen bushings is no picnic, I know what I'm doing and it took me two days for all 6(?) bushings, about 16 hours of work. You MUST get someone to install the two large bushings on the lower control arm for you, you need a press, cost me $20 at a local shop when I brought them the control are and bushing (not installed on the car). You MUST have a ball joint removal tool, or a "front end service kit" you will not get the ball joints out/in without this, and without damaging them. Even if you are replacing them all with new ones you still need the tool. All the small bushings will be a challenge to get out of the control arms, I used a vice, and c-clamps, and sockets, and lots of other stuff, I'm a big guy (6'4" 250lbs) and it was nearly impossible to get some of the old bushings out.

So, my advice is this, Replace:
Lower control are large bushing to chassis - Daizen (must get someone to press in new one)
"stock" upper control arms (includes new bushings and ball joints)
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar links
and whatever else needs replaced
When you are talking about installing the Daizen Bushings are you recommending to replace the Control Arm #1 with the Bushings or the Control Arm #2 (Caster Arm/ Trailing Arm). Just wondering because I have heard the Caster Arm Bushings do not squeak at all it is just the UCA Bushing and LCA #1 that squeak.
Old 05-24-11, 05:13 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I am referring to the Control Arm #2 bushing, I have it installed and there is no squeaking. I agree that it was the upper control arm bushings that we making all the noise.
Old 05-24-11, 01:43 PM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent info this is why I jointed this board now if I can only get the BMW guys to discuss this kind of info.