Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Low yet comfortable... possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 05:01 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
no your wrong.

Tein CST will allow you to get low and still ride about like OEM. I put a set on my dads SC430 and its low and rides very much like stock but you gotta pay to play.
low to you dosent mean low to someone else...like me. I know for a fact that if you go low like i was on my BC where the tire is 1.5"-2" away front the metal frame up front, when you hit change of pavement or a decent bump at 75+ MPH top of your tire will hit the frame if its soft..my bc were set at 20 clicks out of 30 front and 23 clicks rear. I still sometimes rubbed at high speeds over bumps...and it was somewhat ok ride...until i felt like UAS bag rides or when i drive the gs with Tein CS "which dont go low" now thats comfy...but soft spring rates= comfort and it also means more suspension travel
Old 06-01-11, 05:07 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

CS are comfy and can go semi low. It all depends on the op preference of low. Bunch of people i know had tein CS but wanted to go lower but couldn't since they were maxed out already
Old 06-01-11, 05:10 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
CS are comfy and can go semi low. It all depends on the op preference of low. Bunch of people i know had tein CS but wanted to go lower but couldn't since they were maxed out already
same problem i'm having with the GS right now, you can get different springs from tein but research and you will learn that very soft rates on CSs are good for mild wheel set ups...if you want to be flush and cannot afford too much suspension travel anything with a soft spring rate isnt for you
Old 06-11-11, 01:59 AM
Mr.Stussy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get why people talk down on Megan coils. I got the track spec ones on my mr2 for about 3 years now and they are great I mean I dont track my car it's just a DD yeah they are pretty stiff but hey I can live with it and I just put on some Megan EZ's on my SC And I'm already lovin em! I Dummped my car all the way only down side is im still on stock 16" wheels so I'm tucked like there no tomorrow.
Old 06-11-11, 02:16 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvipman
I don't get why people talk down on Megan coils. I got the track spec ones on my mr2 for about 3 years now and they are great I mean I dont track my car it's just a DD yeah they are pretty stiff but hey I can live with it and I just put on some Megan EZ's on my SC And I'm already lovin em! I Dummped my car all the way only down side is im still on stock 16" wheels so I'm tucked like there no tomorrow.
People only talk down on megans, because OTHER people down on megans. I bet majority of the people who talk smack about megans haven't even owned a pair all they do is read and talk about how crappy they are.

I had megans, they would bottom out on me + it was too soft for my taste. When i swapped to stance i could feel a immediate different, it felt more solid during sharper turns.

Megans aren't bad for DD and slammage
Old 06-11-11, 01:11 PM
Mr.Stussy
Rookie

yeah i feel you on that one i buy megans just to slam my DD and plus i dont track my cars or anything. but yeah if i were trying to go track spec and everything then yeah ill go out and buy some stances
Old 06-11-11, 05:17 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Megans suck....troooollllllliiiiinnnnnnggggg
Old 06-11-11, 07:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Megans are decent for the daily drivers who wish not to spend a lot of money. Most Megan owners are not looking for an absolute track setup either so it fits them.

Having enough experience with Megan coilovers, I can say they do not suit me. My priorities are different and I'm willing to spend a bit more for a nice(r) product. My friend who has them loves them though. Then again, he prioritizes affordability over absolute performance.
Old 06-13-11, 09:31 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Megans are decent for the daily drivers who wish not to spend a lot of money. Most Megan owners are not looking for an absolute track setup either so it fits them.

Having enough experience with Megan coilovers, I can say they do not suit me. My priorities are different and I'm willing to spend a bit more for a nice(r) product. My friend who has them loves them though. Then again, he prioritizes affordability over absolute performance.
Are you using your coilovers for more of performance or just DD?
Old 06-16-11, 06:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by horent135
Are you using your coilovers for more of performance or just DD?

Well I don't have an SC. I own a 2GS, but I know a lot of SC and GS guys with Megans coilovers. I guess I'm the only odd ball who doesn't run it. I use my coilovers for both performance and daily driving. Honestly if Megan coilovers were my first and only experience with coilovers, I'd be very happy with them. But I've been spoiled and sat in cars with higher-end coils that are set up properly. Not only do they handle better, but their ride quality is nicer. I've noticed many people say how their Megans ride just as good as the big bucks coils, but I tend to disagree with that. Most people don't adjust their coilovers properly to take full advantage of what it has to offer so they end up with an expensive set of coils that ride mediocre. Where my friend's GS with Megans bottom out on bad roads, my car glides over smoothly even though we have the same spring rates. You do pay quite a bit more but it may not be worth it in the end of the suspension is not set up properly. That's why most of the guys I know run Megans because out of the box, they are 'good enough'.
Old 06-18-11, 02:11 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vietunit
pbm's are pretty comfy.
yeahhhh boi!!!! girls sit in my car and their ***** just bounce constantly, its veddy nice! and they always bring it up so its ok to look
Old 06-18-11, 02:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I always get a laugh out of reading guys on stock suspension SCs saying their cars are comfortable.... are you kidding me?

When I got my SC bone stock it was never comfortable. Right out of the box it felt stiff. Comfortable to me is Toyota Avalon, Lexus LS430, GS430 (with nice stock size tires)... the SC300/400 was never comfortable to begin with so who cares about ride comfort?

I know my car is stiff as a skateboard!
Old 06-21-11, 05:04 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Default Low yet comfortable is very possible Mr. Wong

I started driving sc's almost 10yrs ago and after going through several strut/shock combos and coilovers, the h&r coilovers (currently on my 98 sc400) and flt-a2's were the best IMO if you are seriously looking for a low and comfortable ride. If you got the $$ definitely pay the $1800 for a set of flt-a2's and you won't be dissapointed. It's slightly stiffer than the h&r's but handles like a dream once installed. h&r's are of excellent quality also and this is the last brand of coilovers I will be using on my car because I love it this much! I did complain about the h&r's being too soft at it's lowest point, but that was just rediculous as I was totally unable to get up on my driveway, Lol! My car's still pretty slammed right now but it just rides like it's factory lowered if you know what I mean. It handles very well too and grips the road amazingly. No one including my girlfriend, which is always in my car, had ever complained about it being too stiff or bouncy. Try them if you haven't purchased a set yet. I think this is what you are after. Just make sure you leave the bump stops in there, and I forgot whether you have to slice them in half. I'm pretty sure I sliced mine though.
Old 06-21-11, 05:10 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I always get a laugh out of reading guys on stock suspension SCs saying their cars are comfortable.... are you kidding me?

When I got my SC bone stock it was never comfortable. Right out of the box it felt stiff. Comfortable to me is Toyota Avalon, Lexus LS430, GS430 (with nice stock size tires)... the SC300/400 was never comfortable to begin with so who cares about ride comfort?

I know my car is stiff as a skateboard!
Trudat! stock sc's are stiff already as it is a sport coupe after all. But because of it's stock height people think it doesn't handle well the way it sways when you corner, but it actually does stick to the road too.
Old 06-27-11, 02:13 PM
Hostile
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300jz
megan coilovers
EZ street series ALMOST too comfortable.... they ride great and sit very low best bang for buck

Quick Reply: Low yet comfortable... possible?