Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Should I replace brake pads and rotor at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 09:22 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No they shouldn't... unless there's something otherwise wrong with them all that does is waste good rotor metal and get you closer to falling below minimum spec.

"rotors should always be cut" is something a shop tells you to sell you work you don't need.

Even GM has gotten over trying to screw owners out of rotor life with unneeded machining...In technical bulletin #00-05-22-002 to its dealers, GM says, "Brake rotors should only be turned when one of the following rotor surface conditions exist: severe scoring with depth in excess of 1.5 mm or 0.060 inch, pulsation from excessive lateral runout of more than .080 mm or .003 inch, thickness variation in excess of 0.025 mm or 0.001 inch, or excessive corrosion on rotor braking surfaces."

In other words, GM frowns on rotor resurfacing during what it calls "normal" pad replacement.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Absolutely no need to turn a smooth rotor just because you are installing new pads.
Old 09-02-11, 10:19 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

So I'm curious if my steering wheel is shaking just ever slightly and my car jolts forward as it comes to a stop where it feels like the brakes grab then release and the frequentcy of it occurs slower and less frequent as I come to the stop.
Is that my pads?
In the past I've always just shaved some of the rotor off.
I realize here in florida that in the summer it is extremely hot plus I use to always put my emergency brake on. Even after a hard run at the track cause it was second nature and I heard that could warp the rotor doing that. So I stopped putting my emergency brake on.
Old 09-02-11, 11:46 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Originally Posted by CCJ22
So I'm curious if my steering wheel is shaking just ever slightly and my car jolts forward as it comes to a stop where it feels like the brakes grab then release and the frequentcy of it occurs slower and less frequent as I come to the stop.
Is that my pads?
In the past I've always just shaved some of the rotor off.
I realize here in florida that in the summer it is extremely hot plus I use to always put my emergency brake on. Even after a hard run at the track cause it was second nature and I heard that could warp the rotor doing that. So I stopped putting my emergency brake on.
Your rotors are warped. Usually, if you feel it in the steering wheel, it's the fronts. The emergency brake won't warp the rotors.
Old 09-02-11, 01:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Warped rotors are largely a myth... an excuse from shops who don't understand what's really wrong...apart from improper install or defective parts it doesn't happen... what causes the vibration usually felt in the steering wheel isn't "warped rotors" it's uneven pad transfer. See here for why it happens, why it's NOT "warping", and how to prevent it in the first place-

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 09-02-11, 01:49 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Kurtz, since it's not the rotors. How do I fix my issue now?
I read the link and it didn't really mention how to fix if you currently have the issue. I presume new pads?
Then once I get the pads and install at that point I need to bed them in correctly.
Old 09-02-11, 01:52 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From my track day experience, never apply the parking or regular brake at stop (red light in daily driving case) when the rotors and pads are hot. Otherwise, brake pad material might be transferred to the rotors. That will cause uneven pad transfer and feel like the rotors are warped. I always use Autozone rotors for my Miata, never had any problem with appropriate usage.

As for vibration, you might want to flush the brake fluid. There might be trapped air inside the line. Remember, air is a compressible fluid.
Old 09-02-11, 02:13 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 407 Posts

IS uses a drum-style parking brake, so that wouldn't cause much issue with applying the regular brakes.

Jeff
Old 09-02-11, 02:14 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

So since my rotors are not jacked up and I have uneven pad transfer

This may be my cure...

Depending upon the friction compound, easy use of the brakes for an extended period may lead to the removal of the transfer layer on the discs by the abrasive action of the pads. When we are going to exercise a car that has seen easy brake use for a while, a partial re-bedding process will prevent uneven pick up.

& or I may also need to do this:

"The obvious question now is "is there a "cure" for discs with uneven friction material deposits?" The answer is a conditional yes. If the vibration has just started, the chances are that the temperature has never reached the point where cementite begins to form. In this case, simply fitting a set of good "semi-metallic" pads and using them hard (after bedding) may well remove the deposits and restore the system to normal operation but with upgraded pads. If only a small amount of material has been transferred i.e. if the vibration is just starting, vigorous scrubbing with garnet paper may remove the deposit. As many deposits are not visible, scrub the entire friction surfaces thoroughly. Do not use regular sand paper or emery cloth as the aluminum oxide abrasive material will permeate the cast iron surface and make the condition worse. Do not bead blast or sand blast the discs for the same reason."

Thanks prankster for the tip
Old 09-02-11, 02:15 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
IS uses a drum-style parking brake, so that wouldn't cause much issue with applying the regular brakes.

Jeff
Drum in the rear right Jeff? So when I apply emergency brakes when Im parked on a hill it only clamps the rear drum?
Old 09-03-11, 10:47 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 407 Posts

It's a drum-in-hat style, so the parking brake shoes clamp the inside of the rear rotor, you are correct, just the rear.

Jeff