Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone install their springs themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 01:46 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murder

I took my car to get aligned just now and the mechanic said I'd be wasting my money if I let him align it because you can only adjust toe. He told me I had to buy caster camber plates. Can someone please help me asap
There are no camber plates for our car I don't think. Take it to someone smarter
Old 06-09-11, 02:13 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

what springs did you install? I have f-sports springs and shocks installed and went to get the alignment done, when I look at the print out specs, look like they are all in the lexus specs, after i drop it only one rear camber was out just a little, but got adjusted back to factory specs, make sure they adjust the toes to zero.
Old 06-09-11, 02:23 PM
murder
Driver School Candidate

I installed H&R sport springs. All help is really appreciated
Old 06-09-11, 07:31 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ohiois350
no springs compressor needed when I changed my friend and my IS350 to f-sport springs and shocks it a lot quicker to install without the springs compressor because aftermarket spring is shorter than original one, when we put the springs on the shocks and put the top pillow mount and my friend just push down from the top mount and I put the nut on to tight them, it save you alot of time to compress the springs
Just note to this.... DO NOT <EVER> TRY TO REMOVE A SPRING FROM A STRUT WITHOUT A COMPRESSOR LOCKED IN. YOU COULD DIE. The spring has a hell of alot of force on it.
Old 06-09-11, 07:55 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

^^^ that's why if you do do it, face it against a concrete wall. Put a tire over the coil area and have a friend stand on the tire. Yes yes still dangerous but we have been accident free for over 10 years
Old 06-10-11, 12:12 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

no not really on my IS, when I remove the struts all I did was just lay the suspension and one foot step on the coil and I hold the air compressor gun remove the bolt on the strut and it pop out, the strut just pop out like about 2-3 inch, but it not like shoot out, I think it save me alot of time to put the spring compressor on try to hod the spring, I spent like 5 second to remove the strut from spring and few mins to install the new springs, due to new spring is shorter than the stock therefore I didn't use spring compressor to install them either.
Old 06-10-11, 01:52 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah pep boys also rents spring compressors for a deposit which you get back 100%. I'm on eibachs. Unfortunately yes the front does not have a built in camber setting. I had all four tires aligned. The rears are perfect the front was suppose to be almost to stock specs according to the printout. Unfortunately that isnt the case because My front tires are done. Ive only had my stock tires for 16,000 miles now and maybe 5 of those were after being dropped. I recently purchased a set of spc ball joints. Believe they're manufactured by eibach. At least that's where I found them online. They're originally designed for the is300's but lots and lots of people have used them on their 2is's and praise them. I'm having my put on tomorrow so I'll find out in the long run how they pan out. Search the forums for this camber kit. Someone listed a site you can buy them off of for 169.99 plus free shipping for the pair of ball joints. Good deal! I just want the rest of my Lexus brothers and sisters to not have to endure the crap of extreme negative camber I faced.
Old 06-10-11, 06:15 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Originally Posted by murder

I took my car to get aligned just now and the mechanic said I'd be wasting my money if I let him align it because you can only adjust toe. He told me I had to buy caster camber plates. Can someone please help me asap
^^^you'd be wasting your money on tires if you don't adjust your toe..do a search and you'll see that toe affects tire wear on our cars..i would also look for a new place for alignment, if the mechanic told you its a waste..
Old 06-10-11, 11:55 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

SO had my ball joints replaced today. Wheel looks real straight up and down now. Mechanic said he set them to .5 degrees camber when factory minimum is .4 and toe setting to 1/16th of an inch. Sounds good, looks good, we'll see.
Old 01-19-12, 09:38 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me and my buddy plan on installing my F-Sport springs back on my car.... Last time I had a shop install them but the DIY seems straight forward any suggestions before we go hands-on? Also, after the installation? wait a month before I get an alignment? I gotta get my other set of wheels back on my car so, trying to knock two birds with one stone here LOL
Old 01-20-12, 04:15 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GilIS250
me and my buddy plan on installing my F-Sport springs back on my car.... Last time I had a shop install them but the DIY seems straight forward any suggestions before we go hands-on? Also, after the installation? wait a month before I get an alignment? I gotta get my other set of wheels back on my car so, trying to knock two birds with one stone here LOL
This is a very nuts and bolts installation. Do not wait a month to do an alignment. Do the alignment immediately, if there is an issue down the road the majority of alignment places will allow you to have the car checked as much as needed within a given time frame depending on the package you choose for your alignment. If you have a air compressor or impact wrench use them, they make this job much easier.
Old 01-23-12, 01:12 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Thanks BernieIS, think I am going to double check the Auto Hobby Shop on base to ensure they have either tool.