Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 06:45 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ride is clearly a click issue - I run my HA's 5/8 and it rides great. My drop is about a bit over 3" which is a bit extreme, but I HATE WHEELWELL GAP!
Old 09-13-02, 07:43 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default tein

So you run 5 clicks in the front and 8 clicks in the rear for ride comfort?????

Rock
Old 09-13-02, 07:47 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

I run 5/8 back/front. Isn't it back first, front second because the car is RWD?
Old 09-13-02, 08:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know, i thought it's always front/back, that's why i said 6/5

no idea what the standard is though
Old 09-14-02, 01:12 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, guys: 8/4 front/back. FRONT/BACK wins because I said it the loudest! See you gents tomorrow AM.
Old 09-14-02, 01:34 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

gs4will,

I don't have the tires/rims yet if your asking what model I have. I was rather content with my car until I saw this board and now I have mod. fever, however, as manaray mentioned I'll take my time and do it right.

I currently own a 1999 GS400 and hopefully will have my own sig. soon. I have the optional 17" that came with the car new but am wanting something bigger since they look unproportional to the car from a distance. I like the stock appearance and would like to keep everything hidden....you know someone will really know how wicked the car is while their revving their engine besides me.

Hey my first mod this weekend is to change those ugly brown parking lights to M4 Polarg...can't wait.
Old 09-14-02, 01:43 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cmc..i see...yeah, def do more research and mod the car right the first time...the GS has HUGH space under the fender, which means great potential for the "proper shoe sizes"....

if you need rims suggestions in the future, head over to the wheels section.... i am always there hehehe
Old 09-14-02, 09:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: BEWARE!!!!

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE

BTW...the only reason I would not use the 40/35 is for the increased height you will have...basically it would be like running the same diameter as 20" tires with the lower series.
That's part of the bonus. You will gain 1/2" in ground clearance and loose 1/2" in gap. So when you lower it 1/2", you now have the SAME ground clearance as stock but the wheel gap is reduced by 1".

That why my GS (which has 20's) "looks" low, but I still have decent ground clearance. Had I installed 19's with a 35/30 series setup, I would have loss 1/2" in clearance right off the bat and I'd have to lower it another 1/2" to get the same wheel gap...so now I'm 1" lower to the ground then with my 20's yet the wheel gap is the same. Where's the bonus there?

Even with my rear end tucked (which makes the car look really low), I would still have pretty good ground clearance...

I'm doing the 40/35 setup on my SC....I snap plenty of photos (both before and after the wheels and lower) and I'll take some measurements for academic purposes...you can judge the setup from there...
Old 09-14-02, 08:40 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray - Very good point, but for someone that is running 20s or 19s with larger tires...IMO, the car doesn't look the greatest WITHOUT a body kit...On the other hand, you are running a really sweet body kit which in turn COMPLETES your ride!!! A stock side skirt, to me, just seems to be too high off the group, which the aftermarket ones compensate for this...making it look better...
Old 09-14-02, 09:20 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason is to get the COG as low as possible for max handling benifit.. but then again i did go out and buy a 240 for the handling

but manaray is right, my friend dan and i both have TEIN, he has stock 17" i have stock 16" - stock 16" is a bit shorter and u can clearly see my car has way less ground clearance than his, even though his is lowered as much if not more than mine (by wheel gap)
Old 09-15-02, 09:04 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

A body kit definitely helps...dunno, I like to do "complete" packages so I would rarely lower a car and stick on larger wheels w/o doing a body kit...but that's just me...

Old 09-15-02, 06:57 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
A body kit definitely helps...dunno, I like to do "complete" packages so I would rarely lower a car and stick on larger wheels w/o doing a body kit...but that's just me...

Agreed!...Remember our dicussion of a very long time ago??? I am making sure I do it right this time
Old 09-16-02, 08:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah...doing it "right" is the only way. Some people don't understand until they've done it wrong so many times it finally hits them..."maybe I should have done it right the FIRST time."

Even though it costs more money upfront, in the long run, it's less expensive (unless you're a killer salesperson and you can sell your used items for the same price you bought them for or for more... )

Like I ALWAYS say, save up and do it right!

Sasha - I agree about the COG, but come on, we're not a GT Track here...you have to give some consideration for real world use...
Old 09-16-02, 01:24 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Sasha/Alex - Your a drift nut!!! LOL, that is why cog matters so much and adjusting the rear stiffness to stiffest to you...
Old 09-17-02, 02:28 PM
apatel
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexusRules
he has stock 17" i have stock 16" - stock 16" is a bit shorter and u can clearly see my car has way less ground clearance than his, even though his is lowered as much if not more than mine (by wheel gap)
Sasha,

What size are your tires on the 16s? I always thought that the diameter of the 17 in wheel with a 235/45 tire is shorter than that of a 16 in wheel with 225/55. According to my calculation, the 235/45/17 has a diameter of 25.33 inches while the 225/55/16 has a diameter of 25.74. Is this correct? If so, your friend's car should be lower than yours by ~0.4 inches.

Quick Reply: Tein