Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lexus refused to change my brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 06:35 PM
BORIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus refused to change my brakes...

so i went to lexus to get my brakes changed under tsb they have for less dusty brake pads, i left the car and got a loaner received a call 5 hours later saying they cannot change my brake pads because i have 1mm left on my old brake pads and told me if i wanted to get it done i would have to pay for it.
anyone else had them refused to change your brakes under tsb?
Old 06-14-11, 06:44 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Tsb? Btw these break pads on the 350 are dusty as hellll
Old 06-14-11, 06:51 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Got a 2006 I assume? My dealership wouldn't do mine...for free under the TSB at least.
Old 06-14-11, 06:53 PM
BORIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Got a 2006 I assume? My dealership wouldn't do mine...for free under the TSB at least.
its a 2008 with 18k miles
Old 06-14-11, 07:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Officially the TSIB says they have to give you the low-dust brake pads free anytime within the 4 yr/50k factory warranty.

That said, I've seen a few folks report being turned down because they were under some specification that nobody can ever provide any evidence of in writing.

If you haven't said anything that contradicts it you could claim you just heard about the thing and shouldn't be punished for that or something... but probably if the dealer wants to be a pain about it they're going to be. Could try another dealer if you have one in the area too.

You must be rough on brakes if you're down to 1mm at only 18k miles though.
Old 06-14-11, 07:41 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask em to show you where it says you need a certain amount of breaks left.
Old 06-14-11, 08:01 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

What is tsb?
Old 06-14-11, 08:18 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I hear it anything below 3mm most dealer will ask you to pay. Even tho it's not written it's also not a recall so it not a must on there part.
Old 06-14-11, 08:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BORIS350
so i went to lexus to get my brakes changed under tsb they have for less dusty brake pads, i left the car and got a loaner received a call 5 hours later saying they cannot change my brake pads because i have 1mm left on my old brake pads and told me if i wanted to get it done i would have to pay for it.
anyone else had them refused to change your brakes under tsb?
You may have to talk to them about it.

When I my car last year at Lexus (2007 model), I bought car within about day or so complaining about the brakes being too powerful. Turn out, nothing was wrong it since that is the way they were designed to be, however they did tell me there is a TSIB regarding brake dust.

They did tell me for the TSIB to apply, the brakes cannot be less than 5mm, otherwise it is under the pretense that the customer wants to take advantage of getting a new free set of brakes after using them. Since my car was newly purchased, it did not apply.

I changed my brakes out to the new ones since I did notice the dust build up, and it also resolved the brakes being too powerful too since the dustless ones feel linear.

Originally Posted by Rikg35
What is tsb?
TSB / TSIB

Toyota Service Infomration Bulletin.

Last edited by Sango; 06-14-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 10:15 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango

TSB / TSIB

Toyota Service Infomration Bulletin.
Close. I believe its Technical Service Bulletin OR Technical Service Informational Bulletin
Old 06-14-11, 10:24 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Correct on the definition of TSB.

Dealers don't like the fact that you wore down the pads and then expect a free brake pad for the TSB. It's a wear and tear item so dealers are going to come up with any excuse to back out of it.

As Kurtz, say try your luck with another dealer. Technically speaking if your car is exhibiting the problem in the tsb and your car is still under warranty, the dealer is supposed to fix it.
Old 06-14-11, 10:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I was told not to wait past 5000 miles if I wanted my changed out. As mentioned above, they figure you are trying to get free pads out of them, rather than take care of the brakedust issue. I would have to admit that is only fair, as far as business goes.
Old 06-14-11, 11:11 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Close. I believe its Technical Service Bulletin OR Technical Service Informational Bulletin
Whops lol!! yes that is correct. Was typing fast and inadvertently typed Toyota !

Originally Posted by shadowman
^^^ Correct on the definition of TSB.

Dealers don't like the fact that you wore down the pads and then expect a free brake pad for the TSB. It's a wear and tear item so dealers are going to come up with any excuse to back out of it.

As Kurtz, say try your luck with another dealer. Technically speaking if your car is exhibiting the problem in the tsb and your car is still under warranty, the dealer is supposed to fix it.
To add more clarification, the dealership(s) have to send the brake pads they changed to corporate in order for them to get reimbursed for the work they performed.

If the dealership were to send worn out brakes to corporate, they will not get reimbursed for it. This would make sense why the dealership is telling they cannot do it unless the customer pays for a new set of brakes.

Last edited by Sango; 06-14-11 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-15-11, 12:46 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Tsb's are not supposed to come out to the public. It's there to help technicians to remedy customer complaints. But now with internet everybody knows about it.
Old 06-15-11, 06:10 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

does anyone know what model years the TSB would cover?

Quick Reply: Lexus refused to change my brakes...