Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

strut mount question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 02:03 AM
parker770
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut mount question

I've been chasing front end clunking for a while. LCAs, sway bar bushings, end links, steering rack and bushings have all been changed.

I have the front end apart waiting on a front shock, and was inspecting the strut/shock mount. The mount itself looks perfect, but the rubber isolator that fits between the mount and the strut tower seems compressed and worn in a spot.

Is this isolator sold seperately? All of the images I see of mounts do not appear to include this piece. Could a worn isolator cause clunking?
Old 06-21-11, 05:50 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parker770
I've been chasing front end clunking for a while. LCAs, sway bar bushings, end links, steering rack and bushings have all been changed.

I have the front end apart waiting on a front shock, and was inspecting the strut/shock mount. The mount itself looks perfect, but the rubber isolator that fits between the mount and the strut tower seems compressed and worn in a spot.

Is this isolator sold seperately? All of the images I see of mounts do not appear to include this piece. Could a worn isolator cause clunking?
Do this first before you spend more $$ elsewhere. Make sure both front sway bar endlinks are tightened enough. There's 2 bolts on each endlink. Place the appropriate size allen key on and use a rachet to tighten the bolt. I've made this mistake before when replacing the endlinks. I thought I tightened them already but actually not enough. You can't move it with your hands either so don't bother. Let me know if this works.