Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to remove stock shocks on 92 sc400

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 10:43 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I've done a few SC's without a compressor..not sure why everyone finds this so difficult. The rear ones are more difficult, and generally require a fat kid to stand on the hub, but thats it.

Oh and nice bump on the 3 year old thread
Yea its like the easiest job on the car. All coils in and out in under 1 hour is doable
Old 11-09-14, 03:18 PM
canman44
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my rears a few weeks ago and that wasn't too difficult, but I fought with my front for hours and wasn't even able to get it out. I can't get my sway bar links unbolted. The bolt just spins in there. I'd prob have to cut it off. I'm doing this by myself too so I don't have the fat friend to give a little push to free the strut. If I had another person I might have been able to do it. I haven't tried removing the UCA like I saw mentioned earlier.

Lastly, for the pic at the beginning of the spring being compressed that is about all the coil I could fit my compression tool on too. I didn't have the clearance to get any more of the coil in the tool (for the fronts). Any suggestions? I was working on the passenger side as well. I read the driver side requires removing the washer fluid reservoir. Haven't gotten over to the driver side yet though.
Old 08-01-19, 12:38 PM
SCJim
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Bump on this thread because I am having trouble removing the front spring/shock units to install coilovers on my 93 SC300. I already did the rears and didn't find them too difficult, but I am stuck on the front.

The front shocks remain under too much tension to remove the lower 19mm bolt, even when I use spring compressors, which is a PITA to fit into the available space. The top hat has never moved away from the fender at all because of the tension. Of course my front has been sitting too high for a while so maybe that is a problem with the ancient OEM units.

I see people saying you don't have to remove any suspension components and that this is an easy job. Other people are removing the UCA, suspension links, fender liners, washer tanks and god know what else and still fighting with this. I am continuing to search online for some clearer answers but I might have to find a shop to do this "easy install" for me. I don't want to do that because I want to adjust the ride height with the new coils, but this is from someone who has been wrenching on cars for many years.

I must be retarded. :-(
Old 08-02-19, 03:58 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJim
Bump on this thread because I am having trouble removing the front spring/shock units to install coilovers on my 93 SC300. I already did the rears and didn't find them too difficult, but I am stuck on the front.

The front shocks remain under too much tension to remove the lower 19mm bolt, even when I use spring compressors, which is a PITA to fit into the available space. The top hat has never moved away from the fender at all because of the tension. Of course my front has been sitting too high for a while so maybe that is a problem with the ancient OEM units.

I see people saying you don't have to remove any suspension components and that this is an easy job. Other people are removing the UCA, suspension links, fender liners, washer tanks and god know what else and still fighting with this. I am continuing to search online for some clearer answers but I might have to find a shop to do this "easy install" for me. I don't want to do that because I want to adjust the ride height with the new coils, but this is from someone who has been wrenching on cars for many years.

I must be retarded. :-(
I assume the following: you have entire front end jacked up and the sway bar is disconnected. It is easier to remove the upper control arm which in all likelihood will mean the inner fender liner and the washer tank on the left side. This is really not that difficult to do. When you do all of this, you should be able to put a pry bar in the lower control arm and push down and get slack. This really isn't a hard job, I have done it multiple times on all of my SC's and a friend's car as well.
Old 01-12-20, 10:44 AM
Taylor2sho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about the front shock lower bolt and nut

Question, can anyone please tell me where I can find replacement bolt and nut that go in to the control arm to the bottom of the shock. The ones on my sc are stuck and I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut them off n need some to replace them. Or if anyone has the specs so I can go get some from a home Depot or qhatever?
Old 01-12-20, 12:05 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor2sho
Question, can anyone please tell me where I can find replacement bolt and nut that go in to the control arm to the bottom of the shock. The ones on my sc are stuck and I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut them off n need some to replace them. Or if anyone has the specs so I can go get some from a home Depot or qhatever?
I would suggest Fastenal. Make sure it’s at least a Grade 8 or higher. If you measure them, I might have some spare in my box. You can have them. I just need the thread pitch, and length of the bolt. I need to confirm. You need both sides lower? So 2?