Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP! Do They All Handle/Ride Like This

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 02:49 PM
FrancoP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Do They All Handle/Ride Like This

Dear Membership,

I just made my first Lexus purchase, an '07 SC 430 Certified. It has 34k miles on it, single owner. The car is equipped with run-flats. I come from a long line of BMW's, mostly M3's, and an older 7 series. My other car is a Maserati Coupe.

There is much to like in a top-of-the-line Lexus product like this. Build quality, design, fit and finish, seamless power delivery, anticipated reliability, etc.

But this car handles kinda funny

I find that even moderate bumps cause a shudder, which can be felt in the steering wheel. The car tracks super true when going straight and on smooth surfaces. Not a vibration to be felt. But even low speed moderate bumps-particularly multiple bumps in a row-cause a shudder or springiness that I'm not familiar with. Is this normal for a stock car?

I also noticed that when entering a broad turn on an interstate on-ramp this afternoon, when the car experienced a bump while turning and accelerating, the trajectory changed and a steering correction was required. Is this normal?

As mentioned, it's a certified car, and like most who post on a forum, I need to sort out any new acquisition before I can start enjoying the car. I can't help but feel something is wrong in the front end. As beautifully engineered as these cars are, I can't imagine this is what Lexus had in mind as far as ride and handling are concerned.

I'm going to have the car aligned just for my piece of mind. I'm wondering if I have a bad shock. But with such little mileage, is that a likely point of failure.

Thanks for your insight!

Franco P
Naples, FL
Old 06-19-11, 03:01 PM
FrancoP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OOPS. I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry!

Newbie mistake. I'll repost in the SC 430 section. Thanks.