Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear end feels like its sliding

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 05:56 PM
silvermullet
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear end feels like its sliding

Hey Guys,

Just wondering... when I take turns, sometimes it feels like my rear is sliding... does that make sense... could it be a rear end alignment issue, or is it more... Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, or maybe its in my head...

My SC is a '94 with 91K on it... I have eibachs... may its my shocks?

Any advise is appreciated.

Peace
Old 09-13-02, 12:50 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if i'm understanding ur problem correctly but if i were u i'd check the tirewear in the back. It's the only problem that i can remember having that made the back feel as if it were sliding. hope it helps

Khang
Old 09-13-02, 01:50 PM
silvermullet
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That could be... I have Nitto 555 Extremes and probably put about 35-40k on them... they aren't in the best condition, but would I be able to feel it that much?

I hope thats all, since that would be normal wear and tear...

however, im trying to sell my car so I don't know if its worth it to change the tires before I sell it.

Anyone else who can give any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 09-13-02, 06:00 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

yeah when I take a sharp turn fast my rear end comes out too
Old 09-13-02, 07:57 PM
928owner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Gents and Ladies,

I lost it going around a freeway (expressway for you easterners) onramp at very moderate speed. Just a liitle dew on thre road from fog (I live near the ocean). Once it started to slide, it pretty much all over. I am still trying to clean the yellow stain in the driver seat. Tires MAY help, but I just think these cars are just prone to causing near heart attacks and uncontrollable bladder problems.... I am very careful now....

These cars (SC's) will loose it very easily, so BE CAREFULL
Old 09-14-02, 02:02 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what size tires are you running?
Old 09-18-02, 04:49 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 928owner
Gents and Ladies,

I am still trying to clean the yellow stain in the driver seat. Tires MAY help, but I just think these cars are just prone to causing near heart attacks and uncontrollable bladder problems.... I am very careful now....

These cars (SC's) will loose it very easily, so BE CAREFULL
Where have you been 928?
I am on my third set of tire for the rear already. Total miles for the first set 18K, second ~12K with the last 5K on heavy load driving back to CA from Phily.

My other SC, the green one, wife used to drive it. I notice that the rear tires wear out fast too. Yes, after new tires on the sliding feel gone when I turn corner. I don't drive fast either, but I do take corner faster than normal people.
Old 09-18-02, 06:17 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

i have nitto nt555 as well and so far i've probably put 15k miles on them.. had them for a around a year now and the tires are holding quite nicely. one tire got messed up and i had to replace jus one... that's gonna be ****ty when i gotta replace them all again. what a waste.

khang
Old 09-18-02, 11:42 PM
projectsc
Pole Position

Couldn't you use the one you just got for a donut when you buy all four again?

Originally posted by ForNgoods
i have nitto nt555 as well and so far i've probably put 15k miles on them.. had them for a around a year now and the tires are holding quite nicely. one tire got messed up and i had to replace jus one... that's gonna be ****ty when i gotta replace them all again. what a waste.

khang
Old 09-19-02, 09:18 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oversteer can be caused by many diffeent things.

1. Rear tire pressure too low, or lower than the fronts
2. Rear sway bar too stiff.
3. Front sway bar too soft.
4. Rear struts too stiff
5. Front struts too soft.
6. Alignment problems.
7. Poor driving habits.
8. Mis matched tires types.

To name a few.

Keith
Old 09-19-02, 05:23 PM
928owner
Driver

Talking HEY VQT!!

Hi there VQT!!

I put the urethane bushings on the lower frame.... and that has helped with mainataining alighnment. Also (for Sc400's benifit as well), I have had very good luck with the 245 50 16 Khumo's. So far they have faired much better than the KWDS tires. The noise crap someone said I would have is BS. After 8 months, I am very pleased with their service. Yes, they may be noisy when doing 90mph offramp exits, but under normal driving, they are very quiet. Best tire for the $, IMHO.

The lower A frame rear bushing is real crap from the Factory. It uses a vulcanized rubber process that will deterorate over time. It is a wonder that one can even alighn the front end on older SC's. So the list of Factory Weak Points for the SC has a new addition in my book..... it is right below the poor PS pump seals, and failure to protect the altenator when it "seeps". The real joke is that when you go to the dealer and explain these obvious design weaknesses, they look at you like your the first one to have these problems. I guess when one pays 50k for a car, the Manufacturer does not want the general public to know they screwed up.... and that is what all these problems are, poor design controls (V&V, with emphasis on validation). Being an engineer yourself, you can appreciate the need for proper V&V.

Hope you consider the poly bushings. They are realativly cheap, but you need to have the tools to do it right. Todd at TM is an expert with these, and helped me when I ran into a small snag. The real trick is getting the old ones out.

Take care!
Old 09-26-02, 01:29 AM
SCV8
Instructor

I used to get a little snap oversteer;found it was the soft factory setup smackin' off the bumpstops making it full stiff instantaneously.
Doesn't do it any more with stiffer springs,rear bar.

I'm getting ready to make a set of front lower control arm bushings from some Delrin AF,has a wear rating of 65,compared to even UHMW(200+),is very good,and should last a good long time.
Old 10-13-02, 09:05 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I let my Pirelli 8000s stay on too long. When heading east on the I80 from SF to Sac in heavy rain at 100MPH it feels like your boating when the tread is low. It is like a constant controlled skid. The only thing I could surmise it would be close to is rally racing.

Taking a sharp turn in Sac on a moist morning the rear did come loose on me once and I saw a big fat curb getting closer quick. I had to adjust three times to avoid smacking the side of the road at 45mph on a 90 degree turn but I pulled it off. When I stopped people around me were honking and cheering. A mix of "you idiot" and "good save". Yeah I replaced the tires within a week. I check my tires regularly now and advise the same. It only takes one accident to hurt your car, you, or worst of all someone else.