Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Did RCA spacer & LS400 brakes on my 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 08:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice wheels...I'd call D2 and verify the wheels will clear BBK. I suspect these will and there have been a few LS400's 95-00 with them without spacers.
Old 06-25-11, 08:39 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tried calling them and PM'ing them but I guess they are gone for the weekend.
Not trying to derail the thread... So back on topic!
Old 06-26-11, 03:37 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much for the spacers?
Old 06-28-11, 07:32 AM
xerojuan
Rookie

dont forget that some companies do offset different per wheel, sometimes it could be a +20 but if it has a big lip then it might not clear the calipers.

the wheels I have are a +22 and I have about 1/4 inch of left before the caliper hits the wheel.

try to get a wheel with offset +25 or lower.
Old 10-11-11, 12:50 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

With the spacer, what is the handling and suspension like, that is a major change in the the suspension geometry. If the spindle got taller that is good (ball joint to ball joint dimension), but moving the ball joint location up concerns me. Instant center changes quite a bit.

Looking at it again, the spacer is between the ball joint and spindle? If so, then that should be ok.

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 10-11-11 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 06:20 PM
myis300a
Rookie

How much did the RCA lower your car
Old 10-12-11, 02:58 AM
Jaik
Driver School Candidate

Looks awesome, Got some +39 8.5 Work VS-KF's going onto the car and im hoping they will clear because they are probs the next mod I wanna do...
But if they don't spacers are an easy option, jsut be sure to get the proper hub sapcers not the ****ty metal disk type that go between your rim and hub..
If you gonna space, do it right...
Old 10-12-11, 08:42 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Can't agree more. Wheels NEED to be on the hub, they are NOT to be supported by lug nuts/studs only, they HAVE to sit on the hub and the lugs/studs hold the wheel to it, the load HAS to be supported on the hub. If not, the risk is high that there is a catastrophic failure. And I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a death investigation and they find bad spacers on the car.

GM (sorry guys I know GM like the back of my hand) when they went up in chassis weight (from the intermediate RWD cars (70's Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, etc) that had 5x4.75" wheels, to the larger chassis (Caprice Roadmaster, Fleetwood, RWD Deville, Impala/Impala SS, etc), really NOT that much more weight, to 5x5" wheels, which was needed due to a larger hub requirement. If it didn't matter they would have saved money (you KNOW GM is going to do it on the cheap if they can) and used 5 x 4.75's on everything. But they didn't. For good reason, the larger cars have a much heavier gross vehicle weight, and also they get pushed into 7000 lb tow service and taxi/police use.

Originally Posted by Jaik
Looks awesome, Got some +39 8.5 Work VS-KF's going onto the car and im hoping they will clear because they are probs the next mod I wanna do...
But if they don't spacers are an easy option, jsut be sure to get the proper hub sapcers not the ****ty metal disk type that go between your rim and hub..
Old 11-02-11, 05:11 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jaik,

It will look schweeet...here's my 19" KFs in burning black...

Last edited by PHML; 11-02-11 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 09:56 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just want to add that i got my ls400 bbk and i tried to test fit the caliper without the rca and the caliper hit the ball joint before i could thread the caliper bolt in. I have a 98 Gs300. So, i purchased figs 17mm rca's because that is the minimum required to clear the ball joint. Anything bigger just puts to much stress on the bolts that run through the ball joint, rca then into the hub. This info is coming straight from Mike at figs. Only thing im waiting for now is my daizen caster arm bushings. I wish TM engineering would return my emails. Im not sure if the supra caliper is thinner then the ls400 caliper. I do know the ls400 caliper is lighter.
Old 11-03-11, 03:40 AM
Jaik
Driver School Candidate

omfg.... that looks sex... like sooo good, mine arent burning black but i love that finish, my spokes need repainting and im trying to source an aftermarket way of doing that. Mine are only 18's too, they really need to be bigger for looks, but the roads in Australia wont allow it...

I can report that with +39 offset on 8.5's it only clears the stock callipers by 2-3mm, was lucky they even fitted to the car stock -.- so I will need spacers to put on the bigger brakes...

man cant get over how sick those wheels look with the brake setup and paint and everything. kudos.
Old 11-19-11, 11:06 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

omfg.... that looks sex... like sooo good, mine arent burning black but i love that finish, my spokes need repainting and im trying to source an aftermarket way of doing that. Mine are only 18's too, they really need to be bigger for looks, but the roads in Australia wont allow it...

I can report that with +39 offset on 8.5's it only clears the stock callipers by 2-3mm, was lucky they even fitted to the car stock -.- so I will need spacers to put on the bigger brakes...

man cant get over how sick those wheels look with the brake setup and paint and everything. kudos.
Thx bro...good luck to you on your project.

Post up pics when you are done.

pete
Old 11-29-11, 05:22 PM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xerojuan
breaking is about 20% better and smother. I used stock recut rotors so its not all that but I will upgrade to slotted rotors soon.
Slotted rotors is not an upgrade that will improve your stopping unless your a 5500 lbs. suv that keeps warping rotors due to the amount of heat produced. I have always been against slotted or drilled rotors but due to my QX56 usually weighting about 6000-6500 lbs when loaded and warping rotors like crazy. So due to the amount of heat build up I am going to break down and and get some R1 rotors and see if it helps. I am very skeptical . I cant see them reducing much heat though. There isn't much air getting blown from the side when your going 70 mph.Slots are only to remove the gasses from the pads and reduce fading when hot. And these days brake pads don't produce the gasses that they use to. I have always figured if your drilling holes in the rotor, then your taking away from the surface area that your relying on to stop you. I have always been one for brembo blanks. If you insist on the look, make sure you get rotors that were cast with the holes and the holes weren't drilled after the rotor was cast. The later causes the rotor to be much weaker and crack(Very bad thing when you need brakes).
Old 12-13-11, 11:03 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

What are the details on the LS brakes?

GS vs LS
- Rotor diameter comparison?
- How many pistons per caliper on each?
- How large are the pistons?

I'd like to gauge if this is worth doing...
Thanks
Luke
Old 04-18-12, 07:54 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dahhaaamn! Glad you told me that...not what I was hoping to hear though.
I have 20 x 85 Gianna wheeels and I think the offset is +40... guess I'm gonna have to save up buy four ADAPTERS! (fuggin things are expensive!) mannnnn

But about PHML's car...AGREED! That front wheel/brake pic is AMAZIN', Pete! Looks soooooo good. What size spacer are you using? or do your wheels have a lower offset & just "fit" ?

Does anybody know if there's a way to have regular (slide-on) wheel spacers and somehow still keep the wheels HUBCENTRIC ? (I'm guessing NO...)

Quick Reply: Did RCA spacer & LS400 brakes on my 2GS