Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Still chasing the "clunk" over bumps!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 11:15 PM
try2fndmrk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Mission accomplished! Bye bye clunk. Turns out it wasn't suspension-related at all.

It was a "slider pin" on my front passenger side brake. I'm no mechanic, but this is how it was explained / shown to me. There are two slider pins - which look like really long bolts - that are used to hold the brake caliper in place. One was not OEM and was slightly small, which allowed for the caliper to bounce around. And it was an inexpensive repair all things considered ... then again, the 90K mi service done at the same time was anything but inexpensive.

No idea how it got switched out or broken, but I wonder if it happened the one time I took my car to an independent for front brakes. They didn't use the shim kit and it rattled big time. The dealer fixed me up at that time, but I wonder if that shop buggered the slider pin at that time. Who knows?!

On a similar note, my lower and upper control arms, tie rods and bushings are all in fine shape. Knock on wood.
DAYUM BRO! I find this info EXTREMELY HELPFUL!. im getting the same clunk noise at slow speeds when i hit a dip or like a pothole but at highway speeds its fine.. im on tein flex's and after "bounce" testing it was pretty responsive and ill check for leaks because if there is a leak i have blown shocks.. but ima check out my brakes aswell. lets see if this isthe answer!
Old 08-11-11, 05:20 AM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing I did some research before starting a new thread, I am having the same issue, noise comes from the driver side front suspension . I'll have my tech look at it in a couple of days.
Old 08-23-11, 04:29 AM
okcity
Driver School Candidate

any new results?
Old 09-05-11, 09:55 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by okcity
any new results?
Nah, not yet. I just picked up some strut mounts and some KYB struts.... Just gotta get motivated to put them in. I guess the prospect of these new parts "not" fixing the problem are kinda bursting my bubble lol. Just turned 101k tho!!
Old 09-22-11, 05:40 PM
jolsamuel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
Update: Well the clunking is back in full force... It all started with a simple "R" inspection sticker for a Lower ball joint. I've since changed the upper control arms, LBJ's and tie rods+end links. This was done progressively....I tend to look things over if I do too much at once. After every single test ride the clunk seemed to disappear, but then came back after about 50 miles. Although the shocks have 99k, they don't bounce or leak. I am suspecting the upper strut mounts on both sides.
I'm like C'mon HuH?!!!! Someone gimmie some pointers!! LOL .. I don't mind changing out the parts cause we have a new owner waiting patiently. That's a couple years away....right now, I just wanna find this clunk!!
Check these:
1. Caster arm bushings. They might seem alright but trust me, they will most likely be shot if they are original and haven't been changed.

2. Brakes. People tend to confuse brake noises with suspension, check your pads, try moving them up and down on the caliper bracket and see if they have play, if they do buy a more compliant pad. Second check the slide pins on the bracket, mine had one pin seized and it caused a clunk when braking or turning the wheel while braking, etc.
Old 09-23-11, 07:34 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I fixed an extremely annoying front end clunk by replacing the stabilizer bar bushings, thanks to a fellow poster's suggestion. May give that a try, if you haven't already, they are cheap enough and take 5 minutes to replace..
Old 09-23-11, 10:59 AM
Lexustrung
Rookie

yea i seem to get this clunking noise at lower speeds and over bumps and such
Old 09-24-11, 06:57 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same thing but thats after i changed to the poly sway bushings. i noticed if they are not lubed properly it makes the clunk sound (no pun) even after tightening the bolts.

i went and bought a bottle of lithium white grease and sprayed generously around it and now the sounds are gone until the lube wears off or washes away from the water exposure. the sound was only present when i go over speed bumps at low to medium speed.
Old 10-30-11, 10:38 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this? Mine is having the same symptoms....I'd hate to throw a bunch of money at it and not fix it. My ball joints, tie rods, and bushings seem to be fine after I checked them yesterday...I didn't check the brakes though so I'll try that today.
Old 10-30-11, 10:51 PM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

even after I installed new lower ball joint and tie rod adn looked over brakes real good the clunk si still there albeit not as bad. I am betting on bushings. I alraedy fouind one bushing needs help on that curvy control arm that goes front to back . I am pretty sure its called the "Lower Control Arm"
Old 10-31-11, 08:15 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bonson
I alraedy fouind one bushing needs help on that curvy control arm that goes front to back . I am pretty sure its called the "Lower Control Arm"
It's the Caster Arm, or officially the #2 Lower Suspension Arm.

Last edited by lyonkster; 10-31-11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-31-11, 08:47 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Search for that weird noise thread started by me. Should be in the second gen GS section, not the susp and brakes section. I fixed that noise as well. Seems to have been the caliper bracket bolts. The bolts that attach to the spindle. Yea they need to be tightened to something stupid. I did them with my impact, but I only get 150psi to it, so not much torque. Then breaker bar. In the end, breaker bar, with cheater bar for a 1/8 turn. I also re-greased the slider pins on the caliper itself. No more noise.
Old 10-31-11, 09:44 PM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

I'm not a pro on brakse at all and when I removed the top part of caliper (during a ball joint job) I enoucntered those front brake pins that slide in front back thru a rubber boot and they just turn and turn and turn.
The 2 caliper holder bolts screw into them slider holes and they do go tight. Kind of weird to me
Old 03-14-12, 03:40 PM
jeepandlex
Driver

Well choke my chicken..... It was the frickin sway bar bushings. First I did the front brakes cause they were starting to grind. Got those brembo rotors and akebono pads from Tirerack. Greased the hell outta the slide pins. Immediately felt better but still had the clunk. Finally after months of sitting in my tool box, I got under there and changed out the bushings. I took'em off and said these aren't worn!! Ya right! Popped the new ones in and Voila` No more clunk. We'll see after about 50 miles if I'm right.
Old 03-15-12, 09:39 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Sway bar bushing does not cause clunking.... It squeaks instead

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
Well choke my chicken..... It was the frickin sway bar bushings. First I did the front brakes cause they were starting to grind. Got those brembo rotors and akebono pads from Tirerack. Greased the hell outta the slide pins. Immediately felt better but still had the clunk. Finally after months of sitting in my tool box, I got under there and changed out the bushings. I took'em off and said these aren't worn!! Ya right! Popped the new ones in and Voila` No more clunk. We'll see after about 50 miles if I'm right.

Quick Reply: Still chasing the "clunk" over bumps!!