Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Still chasing the "clunk" over bumps!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 11:15 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am wondering

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Sway bar bushing does not cause clunking.... It squeaks instead
I am wondering if having your car a smog check will help itself-diagnose the front end clucking/squeaking issues? Just kidding man.
Old 03-17-12, 06:47 PM
jeepandlex
Driver

Default Huh??

[QUOTE=GS4_Fiend;7088720]Sway bar bushing does not cause clunking.... It squeaks instead[/QUOTE
Now why would you make a cloddish statement like that? . A loose or mangled bushing can make a variety of noises.... I just told u what the clunking was on my car and u dont believe me. that's comical. No it doesn't fix every car, but it fixed mine. C'mon man!
Old 03-17-12, 07:45 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Its silent after the rain

I am still scratching my head here. After driving all around town today in the rain, I noticed that my car is completely silent when going slowly over speed bump. Not just one speed bump. I drove over and back up and over like ten times. Everything is dead silent. I tried rocking my car with the hood open and I was out of breath and still no noise. Normally, with the hood opened, the noise is coming from the strut mount and the strut rod tie down. What the. F could be making the squeaking/clunking noise. But now I know how to diagnose the noise when it sunny out. Spray water at each bushing or joints locally.
Old 03-17-12, 08:29 PM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by GS714
I am still scratching my head here. After driving all around town today in the rain, I noticed that my car is completely silent when going slowly over speed bump. Not just one speed bump. I drove over and back up and over like ten times. Everything is dead silent. I tried rocking my car with the hood open and I was out of breath and still no noise. Normally, with the hood opened, the noise is coming from the strut mount and the strut rod tie down. What the. F could be making the squeaking/clunking noise. But now I know how to diagnose the noise when it sunny out. Spray water at each bushing or joints locally.
Here's the thing....Fiend is right to a point. When I put new bushings in the front, they were not OEM bushings. I had to grease them. when I first put'em in they groaned and creaked. Once I lubed them up, they were quiet. Water may be lubing up the bushing so when it moves around in the bracket, it doesn't make a sound. U might be experiencing that....so change out the front sway bar bushings. It might solve you're problem. My bushings where not keeping the sway bar n place and it was banging around on bumps. Idk why, but they did not squeak....originals since 98. Keep in mind, this is just a tip.....but to absolutely say that clunking can not be caused by bushings..... oy vey
Old 03-18-12, 10:21 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im still chasing my "clunk" Its not all the time that I hear it but sometimes over certain dips or bumps I hear a clunk and its really annoying. I changed out the upper control arm on my passenger side since it looked like my bushing was shot. I also changed out the LBJ and inner tie rods, put new rotors and brakes in the front, Got daizen bushings for the caster arm installed. And yes it does feel more solid now and the noise isnt as loud anymore but it is still there. I got new sway bar bushings that I am going to installed today and hope it fixes my problem!!
Old 03-18-12, 01:26 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checking back in to say that the sway bar bushings was the cause of my clunk!!! No more clunk or loose floor feeling!! So happy!!
Old 03-21-12, 03:53 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Nice, glad to hear peeps are finding the source of the clunks.....makes u wanna keep the car another 10 years lol.
I am going to do the caster arm bushings and Rear endlinks/swaybar bushings too. Shocks can wait.
Wifey is goin to keep her car after all.....the kid wants one of cars with the whatchamawhosit wheels, one of those big airplane wings on the back and the shiny muffler u always stub your chin on when u walk behind the car....