Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H&R 20mm spacers installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 10:41 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks good! I need to get spacers for my ride too!
Old 07-07-11, 07:25 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't putting out a lot of torque then the long studs are probably alright for you, but good2go makes a very valid statement about the overlooked danger of large slip-on spacers (even if they are hubcentric). As he stated, while the hubcentric spacer supports the wheel and removes direct shear stress that would be otherwise imparted upon the studs by forces perpendicular to the axis of rotation, it does not prevent any bending stress that results from torque transmitted through the hub itself. Standard size studs with no spacer will still experience bending stress do to the torque, but since bending stress is proportional to moment arm (in this case the distance from the hub surface to the next supported location along the length of the stud which is the base of the lug nut), the longer studs will have a much higher bending stress because the next supported end of the stud is still the base of the lug nut which is now much further away. With 20mm more moment arm you are looking a lot higher bending stress on each stud. I'm not sure what the distance from the hub to the base of the lug nut typically is with no spacer so how much greater I can't be sure of. If somebody had a wheel handy they could measure the thickness of the wheel hub where the hole for a stud is to give a rough idea of the moment arm (the lug nuts have tapered ends which would reduce the moment arm a small amount for the measured thickness). The stress increase is certainly very significant, and it would be a good thing for people putting down substantial torque figures to note that this is a very real danger to them.
Old 07-07-11, 11:12 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps some of you online engineers could persuade H&R to stop selling life threatening products.
Old 07-07-11, 11:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I never realized how much stuff goes into putting on spacers. I thought it was all safe with extended studs.

The car looks good man. What's the offset on your rear wheels? I figured they would be flush since they were so wide.
Old 07-07-11, 11:53 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Thank you!

+36 if I'm not mistaken, running 285/35's, These were off of a Supra which it also fit very well.
Old 07-08-11, 12:07 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Spooled
Thank you!

+36 if I'm not mistaken, running 285/35's, These were off of a Supra which it also fit very well.
No problem. Those are some big tires. That's definitely Supra fitment right there.

Does it rub?
Old 07-08-11, 12:32 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

This is what I am aiming for after coilovers. If there is interference that camber will not rid, I will probably go to 275, no lower than 265.
Attached Thumbnails H&R 20mm spacers installed-ideal.jpg  

Last edited by Spooled; 07-08-11 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 12:40 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
No problem. Those are some big tires. That's definitely Supra fitment right there.

Does it rub?
Very rarely if never.
Old 07-12-11, 10:26 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^Looks good man gunna be flush
Old 07-13-11, 10:24 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spooled

(Haters gonna hate)

Ha ha ha, these guys are way too smart these days!! I'm going to need to see an engineering degree with people's replies these days.

I'm rocking 20mm spacers with extended studs ,they havent gave me any problems for years!!!!

They hating to make themselves look better. I'm surprised accountx2 havent showed his ugly face here yet ,lol
Old 07-13-11, 10:38 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
If you aren't putting out a lot of torque then the long studs are probably alright for you, but good2go makes a very valid statement about the overlooked danger of large slip-on spacers (even if they are hubcentric). As he stated, while the hubcentric spacer supports the wheel and removes direct shear stress that would be otherwise imparted upon the studs by forces perpendicular to the axis of rotation, it does not prevent any bending stress that results from torque transmitted through the hub itself. Standard size studs with no spacer will still experience bending stress do to the torque, but since bending stress is proportional to moment arm (in this case the distance from the hub surface to the next supported location along the length of the stud which is the base of the lug nut), the longer studs will have a much higher bending stress because the next supported end of the stud is still the base of the lug nut which is now much further away. With 20mm more moment arm you are looking a lot higher bending stress on each stud. I'm not sure what the distance from the hub to the base of the lug nut typically is with no spacer so how much greater I can't be sure of. If somebody had a wheel handy they could measure the thickness of the wheel hub where the hole for a stud is to give a rough idea of the moment arm (the lug nuts have tapered ends which would reduce the moment arm a small amount for the measured thickness). The stress increase is certainly very significant, and it would be a good thing for people putting down substantial torque figures to note that this is a very real danger to them.
If the wheels were loose then that point would have been valid. But the lug nuts are torqued to 90foot lb's so theres no play between hub/spacer/wheel.The studs and nuts are compressing the wheel to the spacer to the hub, therefore theres no rotational movement. Wana see my engineering degree? Like you i dont have one, so my point is as useless as your guy's point.

I'm sure after high HP we would see this problem, but who knows how much power it takes to do the damage.

Last edited by LEX_MAN; 07-13-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-13-11, 08:08 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
If the wheels were loose then that point would have been valid. But the lug nuts are torqued to 90foot lb's so theres no play between hub/spacer/wheel.The studs and nuts are compressing the wheel to the spacer to the hub, therefore theres no rotational movement. Wana see my engineering degree? Like you i dont have one, so my point is as useless as your guy's point.

I'm sure after high HP we would see this problem, but who knows how much power it takes to do the damage.
Well I only have two classes left and I actually will be a mechanical engineer. So, unlike you I am pretty damn close and your point is a lot more useless than mine if you want to be a smart ***. And if you read my post thoroughly then you would have seen that I did indeed say it wasn't a problem unless you are putting out a lot of torque. Never hated either. I was just stating a possible danger.

EDIT: Why is it that when people post concerns about possible danger in certain situations it is construed as hate. Hate would be telling you that a noose makes a great Hans device and that you should install one. Ignorance is the new standard I guess.

Last edited by BartleDoo; 07-13-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 10:04 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Ok mister engineer, then tell me even if you make 1000 HP does it matter? No it doesnt , because theres this thing called wheel spin, and if you have certain amount of power going to the wheels ,everything over that amount will just spinn the tires and wont affect the stress on the lugs because the wheels going to break traction and spin freely.

So the power/torque doesnt matter, until you get better traction ....mr almost engineer :P
Old 07-15-11, 05:42 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
Ok mister engineer, then tell me even if you make 1000 HP does it matter? No it doesnt , because theres this thing called wheel spin, and if you have certain amount of power going to the wheels ,everything over that amount will just spinn the tires and wont affect the stress on the lugs because the wheels going to break traction and spin freely.

So the power/torque doesnt matter, until you get better traction ....mr almost engineer :P
Don't worry man I've given up on you so you get the win in your game.
Old 07-15-11, 07:23 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Attached Thumbnails H&R 20mm spacers installed-alrightythen.jpg  

Quick Reply: H&R 20mm spacers installed