Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Should I get the F Sport springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 06:33 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I don't think he's the confused one...

Absolutely I do. Because most people don't know jack about handling and buy such things for looks.

Same reason people buy drilled rotors (which lexus ALSO offers) despite them kinda sucking compared to any other option.

That's simply not true.

There is such a thing as too low. Putting the cars roll center below the ground for example. (not that I think the 0.8-1" drop of F-sport does this, but it's flatly wrong to say lower is always better- it's not.). Not to mention lowering changes the geometry of many other suspension parts, and not always for the best from a handling perspective.

You recommend body braces for "good handling"? why would adding dead weight to the car improve handling?

I'd bet you more than you paid for the braces they don't improve times on a track for just about anyone though. You'd have to have done every other possible thing to a suspension, including corner weighted adjusted coilovers and running on super-expensive super-light wheels and non-street-legal racing tires before body bracing would have any chance of helping you...and even then it'd be marginal. Difference in feel? quite possible. Actual improvement? not so much.

And a strut tower bar... on a car that doesn't even have struts? Seriously?

Anywho... to address the original question-

regarding comfort on the F-sports vs. the sport suspension (or any linear spring), as another poster said, you'll notice on rougher roads more since the shocks won't be appropriate for both ends of the spring rate... enough to matter? depends how your road quality is probably... on bad roads I suspect I'd notice at least, maybe not smoother ones though.

handling wise I think it'll be a downgrade, but I'm not sure it'll be enough of one you'll notice outside of a track and a timer... linear springs are better for handling, but probably not better enough in street driving to make a big deal to you.... I agree with cestjoel that you should get lower linear springs if available though and you're not locked into buying something that says Lexus on it, ideally you'll be able to find linear springs of a similar spring rate to the sport suspension springs, just with the height you want...that'll be win-win as far as handling and lowering and comfort.
I'm not confused, I just have different goals with my car than you or the op. I DO think my car is TOO low and it has changed the geometry for the negative. I NEVER told him that slammed was the way to go nor did I think the F Sport springs would cause a problem. I am never going to track/race my car so I'm not concerned about making my car lighter. I added about 150 lbs. of audio equipment and that's like having a dead body in my trunk. I like the braces to add rigidity and ruduce chassis flex. I DO feel a difference in my car. I also did recommend the F Sport rear sway bar to improve handling. The strut bar....it's polished and that's all I wanted. I invite you to come drive my car if you ever make it to Nor Cal.
Old 07-07-11, 09:54 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eibach Pro-kits are the exact same as F-sport springs. F-sport outsources their F-Sport springs to Eibach. So if you want the same quality but pay a bit less, get Eibachs.

Personally, the car feels as if it has lower body roll since the spring rate is higher...and the ride quality, you only feel it if you go over bad asphalt and bumps.

I installed the springs myself with the help of a friend. There's nothing that would require a shop to do that you can't. But you will DEFINITELY...NOT MOST DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY and impact gun...good luck operating the spring compressor if you don't have an impact gun.

The impact gun will offer you all the "torquing" you need for your wheels and your Lower Control Arm bolts can be hand torqued, save yourself the installation fee and do it yourself...just my personal preference.

Either way though, I would buy F-Sport/Eibach all over again. GL
Old 07-07-11, 10:24 PM
DenIS250
Pole Position

I just installed f-sport springs/shocks combo last week. I love how the car handles and im happy with the drop. yes it does feel a little stiffer but the car still rides very nice. a lot more fun to drive now than before with stock suspension. and like ssf said, the sway bars are a MUST(if u care about improving handling) and will be next on my list.
Old 07-08-11, 07:36 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I'm not confused, I just have different goals with my car than you or the op. I DO think my car is TOO low and it has changed the geometry for the negative. I NEVER told him that slammed was the way to go nor did I think the F Sport springs would cause a problem. I am never going to track/race my car so I'm not concerned about making my car lighter. I added about 150 lbs. of audio equipment and that's like having a dead body in my trunk. I like the braces to add rigidity and ruduce chassis flex. I DO feel a difference in my car. I also did recommend the F Sport rear sway bar to improve handling. The strut bar....it's polished and that's all I wanted. I invite you to come drive my car if you ever make it to Nor Cal.
I think the bigger question is why even chime in if you're not going to answer my question? That's a big pet peeve of mine and most on this forum. It's almost like you were trying to toot your own horn saying that my car should look like yours. Why would I want an IS250 with an added 200lbs worth of weight making a slow car even slower? All I wanted was real experience with the F Sport springs, adding a sway bar had nothing to do with it. The fact that you admitted you added all that stuff without even tracking the car makes anything you say even more irrelevant.
Old 07-08-11, 09:05 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

anyone have pics of thier car with the setup??
Old 07-08-11, 04:40 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=my95tsi;6518386]I think the bigger question is why even chime in if you're not going to answer my question? That's a big pet peeve of mine and most on this forum. It's almost like you were trying to toot your own horn saying that my car should look like yours. Why would I want an IS250 with an added 200lbs worth of weight making a slow car even slower? All I wanted was real experience with the F Sport springs, adding a sway bar had nothing to do with it. The fact that you admitted you added all that stuff without even tracking the car makes anything you say even more irrelevant.[/QUOTE

I never told you to add 200 lbs of weight. How bout you just make up your mind now since you've been thinking about it so long. You want to be lower? Get lowering springs. You want OEM ride quality? Leave it alone. DONE! And done with this thread too!

Last edited by Sffd103; 07-09-11 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 06:50 PM
DenIS250
Pole Position

^its funny to me how sometimes you try to help someone out and make a comment and they take it the wrong way. yo OP we are trying to help you out man. take a chill pill
Old 07-08-11, 08:36 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
I think the bigger question is why even chime in if you're not going to answer my question? That's a big pet peeve of mine and most on this forum. It's almost like you were trying to toot your own horn saying that my car should look like yours. Why would I want an IS250 with an added 200lbs worth of weight making a slow car even slower? All I wanted was real experience with the F Sport springs, adding a sway bar had nothing to do with it. The fact that you admitted you added all that stuff without even tracking the car makes anything you say even more irrelevant.
Sffd103 may drive a 250 but is one of the nicest 2is around I've seen..*hands down*