Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Should I get the F Sport springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 08:53 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get the F Sport springs?

So for the last few weeks i've been really debating on getting the F Sport springs. Every time I convince myself to get them I then convince myself out of getting them. I have two big factors weighing on whether I should get them.

1.) Ride quality/handling (as i'm currently on the sport suspenion i'm not sure how much of a difference there is)
2.) Installation costs (I'd want them installed professionally but i hear prices vary from as little as $200 to $800-900)

Ride quality weighs very heavily as progressive springs tend to lack in ride quality and handling. I can deal with a slightly harsher ride but I cannot deal with worse handling. I hear that the F Sprot springs do give more body roll compared to the factory sport suspension.

The main reason I want to get them is for the drop because otherwise i'm very satisfied with the sport suspension. I just do not want to sacrifice performance for looks.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-11, 09:13 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I say get a rear sway bar and go from there. You can't go wrong with that and is fairly cheap. Check Sewell Lexus and use our CL discount.
Old 07-07-11, 09:17 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Sffd103 on this one. Go with the Sway bars first, though I bought the F-Sports Springs a while ago and plan on getting the F-Sport Shocks... the Sway bar will a basic, easy, good mod.
Old 07-07-11, 09:34 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Thanks but no thanks. I don't think either of you read my post.

I'm looking for a drop. I'm not looking to improve handling but i'm also not looking to hurt the handling.

"The main reason I want to get them is for the drop because otherwise i'm very satisfied with the sport suspension. I just do not want to sacrifice performance for looks."
Old 07-07-11, 10:22 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard they do improve handling... maybe they were suggesting you get the sway bar to help it handle better if in fact it turns out it handles worse???? IDK
Old 07-07-11, 10:25 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Well that's what i'm trying to find out. I want a drop but I don't want to do it if the car will handle worse than it did from the factory.
Old 07-07-11, 11:21 AM
cestjoel
Driver

Well, I haven't use the f-sport shocks and springs per se but I've driven lots of lowered cars and this is what I came up with. F-sport springs are progressive and will be looser on handling unless you have a stiffer shock (I.e. F-sport shocks) but then you lose some of the comfort (notice bumps more.) best bet is fully adjustable coilovers where you could adjust height and dampening (shock stiffness) to your liking. If you don't wanna go that way and still use your OEM sport shocks and and springs, I'd suggest getting a set of linear springs. I think Tein springs are linear (Some one correct me if I'm wrong.)
Hope this helps.
Joel
Old 07-07-11, 11:22 AM
TREE
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had them installed about two months ago and kept the stock shocks. Overall I think the ride quality is very similar. I think it actually feels better on small bumps but is a little firmer on big bumps. The drop is perfect in my opinion if you want to get rid of the big wheel gap but don't want to be slammed or worry about rubbing. I am on 19" Linea Corse Dynas. I am very happy with the springs.
Old 07-07-11, 11:26 AM
TREE
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought them from Sewell Lexus. My dealer here wanted about $475.00 for installation. Ended up going to a local shop and paid about $180.00 including alignment. He is a friend of mine but said he wouldn't charge much more than that for a regular customer though.
Old 07-07-11, 11:32 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from a bimmer, the driving experience on the stock IS suspension was very bland and underwhelming. I've never driven or rode in a sport suspension IS so I cannot compare the two but switching to F-Sport springs made it fun to drive again. It is a little more bumpy but you hardly scrape.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-07-11, 12:15 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Smile

Thanks guys, this feedback helps out alot. Since the sport shocks are already more aggressive I heard they compliment the F Sport springs well. Even though no shock fully compliments a progressive spring. I think i'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on these. I just need to find a reputable shop that will install them at a good price. I already checked out a couple local shops and they wanted $350.
Old 07-07-11, 12:47 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Thanks but no thanks. I don't think either of you read my post.

I'm looking for a drop. I'm not looking to improve handling but i'm also not looking to hurt the handling.

"The main reason I want to get them is for the drop because otherwise i'm very satisfied with the sport suspension. I just do not want to sacrifice performance for looks."
You're wrong buddy. I read your thread and you kinda don't make sense. You want your car lower but don't want to sacrifice ride handling. Do you think that a spring company would make a performance spring and it wouldn't improve handling? Especially a company for Lexus! You probably won't like the drop because it's minimal anyways. Anytime the cars geometry is lowered a bit it'll improve handling by reducing vehicle sway. So Just get some springs or even better get coils to dial in your suspension even better. I don't think the sport suspension would be "THAT" great anyway. You want good handling? get this stuff!
Attached Thumbnails Should I get the F Sport springs?-gt-spec.jpg   Should I get the F Sport springs?-suspension-pic.jpg   Should I get the F Sport springs?-engine-pic.jpg  
Old 07-07-11, 01:16 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
You're wrong buddy. I read your thread and you kinda don't make sense. You want your car lower but don't want to sacrifice ride handling. Do you think that a spring company would make a performance spring and it wouldn't improve handling? Especially a company for Lexus! You probably won't like the drop because it's minimal anyways. Anytime the cars geometry is lowered a bit it'll improve handling by reducing vehicle sway. So Just get some springs or even better get coils to dial in your suspension even better. I don't think the sport suspension would be "THAT" great anyway. You want good handling? get this stuff!
I'll love the drop, i've seen it. I'm not looking for a slammed look but thanks anyways. Please come again!
Old 07-07-11, 02:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You're wrong buddy. I read your thread and you kinda don't make sense.
I don't think he's the confused one...

You want your car lower but don't want to sacrifice ride handling. Do you think that a spring company would make a performance spring and it wouldn't improve handling? Especially a company for Lexus!
Absolutely I do. Because most people don't know jack about handling and buy such things for looks.

Same reason people buy drilled rotors (which lexus ALSO offers) despite them kinda sucking compared to any other option.

You probably won't like the drop because it's minimal anyways. Anytime the cars geometry is lowered a bit it'll improve handling by reducing vehicle sway.

That's simply not true.

There is such a thing as too low. Putting the cars roll center below the ground for example. (not that I think the 0.8-1" drop of F-sport does this, but it's flatly wrong to say lower is always better- it's not.). Not to mention lowering changes the geometry of many other suspension parts, and not always for the best from a handling perspective.

You want good handling? get this stuff!

You recommend body braces for "good handling"? why would adding dead weight to the car improve handling?

I'd bet you more than you paid for the braces they don't improve times on a track for just about anyone though. You'd have to have done every other possible thing to a suspension, including corner weighted adjusted coilovers and running on super-expensive super-light wheels and non-street-legal racing tires before body bracing would have any chance of helping you...and even then it'd be marginal. Difference in feel? quite possible. Actual improvement? not so much.

And a strut tower bar... on a car that doesn't even have struts? Seriously?

Anywho... to address the original question-

regarding comfort on the F-sports vs. the sport suspension (or any linear spring), as another poster said, you'll notice on rougher roads more since the shocks won't be appropriate for both ends of the spring rate... enough to matter? depends how your road quality is probably... on bad roads I suspect I'd notice at least, maybe not smoother ones though.

handling wise I think it'll be a downgrade, but I'm not sure it'll be enough of one you'll notice outside of a track and a timer... linear springs are better for handling, but probably not better enough in street driving to make a big deal to you.... I agree with cestjoel that you should get lower linear springs if available though and you're not locked into buying something that says Lexus on it, ideally you'll be able to find linear springs of a similar spring rate to the sport suspension springs, just with the height you want...that'll be win-win as far as handling and lowering and comfort.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-07-11 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 02:46 PM
cestjoel
Driver

^ I like this guy. Ha he knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: Should I get the F Sport springs?