Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Thinking about getting after market coilovers or lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 12:58 PM
texas02118
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting after market coilovers or lowering springs

I have a 2007 IS250 all stock except for redouts and GFX front lip. I am wanting to lower my car but I wanted to see if anyone knows about a kit (springs or coilovers) that do not affect the ride comfort. I mean, I am married with a kid and I do not want my son to lose his neurons every time I hit a pothole or bump. Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-08-11, 01:12 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

your going to sacrifice ride quality any time you lower the car. if your looking for a small drop, F-Sport springs would be good and still give you a close to oem ride comfort
Old 07-08-11, 01:22 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

There is actually a suspension subsection for the is, your thread will prob be moved. I had the same dillema as you, and it held me back for 2 years... However i finally pulled the trigger and got Megan EZ coilovers. First off no coilover will be as comfortable as stock. I actually just installed mine yesterday and rode in it for 2 hours. I lowered my 2006 IS250 AWD by 2 inches. The ride quality is a bit more harsh but totally reasonable imo! Idk how it feels in the back but im not dissapointed. I was predicting a harsher ride. Only downside is that with the AWD specifically, the car vibrates when your at a complete stop with your foot is on the break. It seems like you have the RWD so you should be free of that problem. the look is TOTALLY worth the little comfort that is lost. As for your options there are BC racing coilovers that run about $975 or Megan LP($875) or EZ coilovers ($650). People have said that BC racing is more of a comfortable ride, but no ones really compared the two. I personally think its the venders who make this assumption and everyone takes their word for it. Everyone is happy with both coilovers from what ive read. If you go with megan i suggest the EZ since they are budget friendly and everyone whos had them, has said great things about them. They are geared toward street use/daily drivers. For me this was perfect and im very happy with the results. I regret not doing it sooner. Just dont go too low, 1-2 inches should be good for you
Old 07-08-11, 03:13 PM
kannon
Pole Position

Honestly I felt stock was far too soft. My audi had a much firmer ride. So I was quick to buy coilovers and have never felt that my Tein comfort sports were in any way too firm or crashy over bumps. In fact they are probably a bit too soft.
Old 07-08-11, 03:25 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

If you want a soft, stock-feeling ride quality and a minimal drop then look into Tein H-techs. They're their "luxury" series meant for the DD'r in mind...see here for example :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-...Q5fAccessories

http://www.tein.com/products/high_tech.html

FYI, I have a set of these I've had on what used to be my DD '95 Civic and it felt like an OEM ride...yet a nice, tasteful lowered stance. I know, apples to oranges...but it's a personal experience I thought I'd share.
Old 07-08-11, 03:32 PM
DenIS250
Pole Position

If u want a subtle drop with a firmer suspension i say go with f-sport springs/shocks. I love how the car drives with this setup.
Old 07-08-11, 03:55 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend coilovers, only because I had a car with springs before and one with coilovers and there's no going back. It's so nice to get the car sitting EXACTLY how you want. Different coilovers will be made with specific purposes, you can get a stock feel and be dropped or go with a track car feel and anywhere in between. Of course there's a price difference that influences most peoples decision but don't be scared of cheaper brands like BC and Stance, they are good quality and I've heard that tein's quality has dropped off lately so keep that in mind.
Old 07-08-11, 04:17 PM
texas02118
Driver

Thanks guys for the replies! So the choices for ride comfort are Tein H-tech springs and Megan EZ coilovers? I see that Tein is a lot cheaper than Megan. Why is there such a price difference?

BTW, is there any other setup that can provide as much comfort as the stock springs? Besides the F-sport springs/struts.

Last edited by texas02118; 07-08-11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-08-11, 04:32 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by texas02118
Thanks guys for the replies! So the choices for ride comfort are Tein H-tech springs and Megan EZ coilovers? I see that Tein is a lot cheaper than Megan. Why is there such a price difference?

BTW, is there any other setup that can provide as much comfort as the stock springs? Besides the F-sport springs/struts.
Because springs are set at one hieght. Coilovers are adjustable hieght, you can set it however you want. Lower it/raise it. Plus you get dampening adjustablility which means you can make the ride more soft or hard. For coilovers Megan ez is gonna be one of the cheapest if not the cheapest coilover for you. Many people like to use coilovers over springs. But for people that just want to lower it and leave it like that springs are a better option. I personally want to lower my car in the warm months and raise it back up in the wintertime
Old 07-08-11, 05:44 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get softer spring rates on bc coils-they do custom builds is Megan a pillow ball mount? I know they are noisey on g35s and stance/bc use rubber mounts that are quiet like stock.. you don't need pillow ball mounts really for street use.
Old 07-08-11, 08:51 PM
texas02118
Driver

I guess coilovers would be better than springs in case I want to raise it up for better comfort. I was checking out this website (http://www.street-power.com/grleisairdip.html) and I am wondering if the 700 dollar price includes just the springs or the struts as well. Can anyone explain this to me. I am sorry if I sound a little noob!
Old 07-08-11, 08:52 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by texas02118
I guess coilovers would be better than springs in case I want to raise it up for better comfort. I was checking out this website (http://www.street-power.com/grleisairdip.html) and I am wondering if the 700 dollar price includes just the springs or the struts as well. Can anyone explain this to me. I am sorry if I sound a little noob!
Yup they include everything you need. Venders on our forum sell it for 650. I got mine from circuit motorsports for that price
Old 07-08-11, 09:41 PM
texas02118
Driver

I guess I will be dropping 7 bills in a few weeks. Wife ain't gonna be happy about that! I appreciate guys for all the help.
Old 07-08-11, 09:52 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

if you want to keep the comfort and drop the car a little bit Tein H-techs and swift springs are good options. I had swifts before and they ride like stock in my opinion.
Old 07-09-11, 11:30 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Megan EZ coils won't be a bad way to lower the car.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like a good price on a set

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting after market coilovers or lowering springs