Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 04:36 PM
Batiatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Stops

Ok so I've searched and couldn't find much on this and no answers to my question.

Last weekend I installed Tanabe nf210 springs on Tockico Blues. It was the first time I've done shocks so I read a couple DIY's on it and nowhere did it mention to cut the bump stops. So when I put the new suspension on I didn't think anything of it and just reused the old bump stops without trimming them.

Yesterday I was going through the spring box and noticed the yellow card that was at the bottom and it says to trim 15-25mm of the bump stop off.

My question is do I need to worry about it and trim it or will I be ok? Also, if I do need to trim it how much do I take off and do I take it off of the top part of the bump stop?
Old 07-14-11, 05:06 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you should be fine with your original bump stops. I believe the bump stop protects the internals of your suspension damper, so I believe that you should be fine just as you currently are.

I've had tein springs and they also said to cut the bump stop, the mechanic's that did my tein install on my 1995 windom, didn't cut the bumpstops, and i've never really had any adverse effects.

You should be fine.
Old 07-15-11, 07:14 PM
Batiatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I don't need to cut them? Would it be better on the suspension if I did though? I know it would let the shocks travel more and probably ride better. If it helps any I might just take the shocks off and cut some of the rubber off.

I've read so many post about what shocks and springs are better for one reason or another. I guess trimming the bump stops just isn't that important since nobody mentions it. Or maybe I'm over thinking it and should of just followed the instructions on the card that came with the springs lol. I would have if I saw it when I was putting them on.
Old 07-15-11, 08:39 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be honest, I think you could be overthinking things.

Reading up on the nf210 springs specifications they lower your vehicle by 1.2 inches in the front, and 0.9 inches in the rear, from what I can see, with that drop you have plenty of travel. With that information, I don't believe you need to touch your bump stops at all.

Also whenever you lower a vehicle you'll loose some of the ride quality, this is normal and expected of a lowered vehicle.