Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Ez Coilovers, Some questions in general

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 12:52 AM
mike51O
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan Ez Coilovers, Some questions in general

So these are the coilovers i'm getting installed this friday by someone I know at Lexus... anyways to my question

1) Do i have to have the height adjusted before having the tech put them in or do we do that after the coilovers are in?

2) I understand the F sport drop is approx 1 inch drop all around and i love the way it looks but I think i will go just a bit lower. So does a 1.5 inch drop sound like a good idea? If so do i just tell the tech that i want a 1.5 inch drop? How do you set it on the coilover to make sure what i'm getting is a 1.5 drop?

3) Do people usually drop the whole car the same height?? Or do people drop the front lower then the back? So would i do 1.5 drop in the front and 1 inch in the back?, Would that look funny? Or do i just drop every thing 1.5 front/rear..

4) I know this question is probably all over the internet, but i don't know how to search the correct terms on how to read and understand the concept about "mm?" I see people say like the front is 45n / MM and the rear is 51N/MM? how do you translate? What dos it mean?

First time coilover owner.. thanks guys
Old 07-27-11, 05:09 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

1) Wouldn't matter, it'll have to be adjusted afterwards anyways. Lower car slowly after install to make sure it doesn't bottom out.

2) Each coilover will be slightly different in height settings in the end to make the car even. The car isnt 50/50 front to back and side to side (therfore you can't use the exact height setting for all of the coilovers). This is why people with springs, the car may lean unevenly. With coilovers, you can compensate for the difference in weight.

3) That is entirely up to you. Most people strive for a even drop. I don't know if I'm lowered 1.5" or 3", to me it's not important. I just made sure the gap if any on all four corners are even.

4) That is the amount of force needed to compress the spring per mm. Also known as spring rate. Higher the number, more stiffer the spring. More force is needed to compress the spring per mm.

Last edited by MrBBQ; 07-27-11 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-27-11, 05:34 AM
mike51O
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
1) Wouldn't matter, it'll have to be adjusted afterwards anyways. Lower car slowly after install to make sure it doesn't bottom out.

2) Each coilover will be slightly different in height settings in the end to make the car even. The car isnt 50/50 front to back and side to side (therfore you can't use the exact height setting for all of the coilovers). This is why people with springs, the car may lean unevenly. With coilovers, you can compensate for the difference in weight.

3) That is entirely up to you. Most people strive for a even drop. I don't know if I'm lowered 1.5" or 3", to me it's not important. I just made sure the gap if any on all four corners are even.

4) That is the amount of force needed to compress the spring per mm. Also known as spring rate. Higher the number, more stiffer the spring. More force is needed to compress the spring per mm.
2) So should i make the driver side a lil higher? Do alotta people do that or should i just not care b/c if peole sit in your car its going to be uneven regardless? Do you have coilovers and do you adjust your side?

3) Okay, b/c with F-Sport springs they are set for the front to be a lil lower then the back? Most springs are like that? So for you as long as you mesure the gap between the fender and the wheel all match then you are happy. So what you mesure should all match? thast pretty much a all even drop if thats the case right?
Old 07-27-11, 08:03 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mike51O
2) So should i make the driver side a lil higher? Do alotta people do that or should i just not care b/c if peole sit in your car its going to be uneven regardless? Do you have coilovers and do you adjust your side?

3) Okay, b/c with F-Sport springs they are set for the front to be a lil lower then the back? Most springs are like that? So for you as long as you mesure the gap between the fender and the wheel all match then you are happy. So what you mesure should all match? thast pretty much a all even drop if thats the case right?
What is it you're trying to achieve? With coilovers, it's really up to you to determine how you want your car sit. Ride it super high or slammed, that's entirely up to you. There isn't really a proper height setting. If you want to get the most out of your coilovers regarding handling, look up corner balancing. With a correct corner balancing done, all the wheels are putting about the same amount of force on the pavement. Not really necessary for city driving but highly recommended if doing track. F-Sport and most springs are higher in the front. Try different heights. If you don't like it, adjust it. Also note, each time you adjust the height, it throws off the alignment. Get a lifetime alignment so your're not chewing up your tires.