Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to make the GS300 handle like a monster??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 06:23 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make the GS300 handle like a monster??

After driving my friend's 2007 BMW 335i JB4 chip with suspension and exhaust (approx 400-430hp/tq) I had to either get one myself or make the GS300 perform and handle the same or better.

For those who drive their GS300 aggressively at the track or on the touge, what needs to be done to get the suspension on point?

I currently have the following:
TRD 1.5way LSD (first mod)
Stance GR+ coilovers 14/10kg
Wheels/tire setup (shaved fenders)

I'm looking into sway bars and replace some of the worn bushings.

Not entirely happy with my suspension setup and have been looking to upgrade to something better. I looked at KW v3 but they don't make a GS300 application, but doing some research says the IS300 fits the GS300 but needs higher spring rates.

I also looked at the Bilsetin PSS coilover setup but that seems to be a little soft for the track/touge. I pretty much want to eliminate any body roll but I want a smooth ride (I lcompletely LOVED how the KW V3 felt on an IS300)

Another options is to upgrade to some Swift Springs on the Stance coilover setup.

I'd love to hear those that are trying/tried to make the GS300 handle like a monster going through the turns and what you did to accomplish that.

Some pics of the car. I'm going to downgrade to 18" setup with some sticky tires.

Old 07-27-11, 07:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

TBH, our cars were not made for tracking. Hence, it's a 4 door Luxury Sedan. You cant really compare a 400 hp to a 220 hp car. If you want more power, get a IPL, BMW are overpriced.
Old 07-27-11, 07:23 PM
2jzaristo1
Rookie

upgrade your springs to like 16/12 and stick with stance springs their bad ***, and with this minor increase you wont have to re-valve your shocks, but you will for sure feel it on the roads and in aggressive driving. (iv have many sets of stances coils ran with different spring setups and re-valving jobs, this has worked the best for me) In addition to sways and new bushings, sticky rubber and a force fed motor you should be riding like you want without a problem.
Old 07-27-11, 08:21 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
TBH, our cars were not made for tracking. Hence, it's a 4 door Luxury Sedan. You cant really compare a 400 hp to a 220 hp car. If you want more power, get a IPL, BMW are overpriced.
My apologies, I didn't expand into the power mods yet since I want to work on handling first but I'd be doing the 2JZ-GTE with BPU++ mods to get a conservative 350-380whp.
Old 07-27-11, 08:25 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzaristo1
upgrade your springs to like 16/12 and stick with stance springs their bad ***, and with this minor increase you wont have to re-valve your shocks, but you will for sure feel it on the roads and in aggressive driving. (iv have many sets of stances coils ran with different spring setups and re-valving jobs, this has worked the best for me) In addition to sways and new bushings, sticky rubber and a force fed motor you should be riding like you want without a problem.
Are you sure? Swift Springs are probably the best coil springs available on the market that I know of. Even Stance acknowledges that.

http://www.stance-usa.com/sus/produc.../swift-springs

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this combo or has driven on coilovers with Swift Springs?
Old 07-27-11, 09:19 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Gut the car and roll cage plus spot weld the whole chassis

one step closer MONSTER handling hehe
Old 07-27-11, 09:28 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

You are correct, it is a large luxury sedan, but Lexus did use the GS as a racing car until they moved towards the IS. Also, the GS was in the V8 Star series. Not to highjack the thread, but if the OP is racing. Our cars have raced and have proven so.

Old 07-27-11, 10:14 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

its proven if you strip it down to the bare minimum and add a cage and what not. Plus.. iono how much of that car is a real GS400 anyways LOL. i bet that body is a cover.. its a 2 door
Old 07-27-11, 10:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Stance springs are just like any other springs I've put on a dyno..nothing to get excited about. There are only a handful of springs that are up there in terms of quality and consistency.

Mind you some of the best handling cars have more body roll than you think. Are you going for absolute performance, or just that stiff feeling? Most people mistaken the two together.
Old 07-27-11, 10:38 PM
duckJAI
Driver

I'm not road racing by any means.

I will take the car to the track for some grip lapping and the ocassional highway ramps and touge at night.

I do realize some body roll is wanted to allow for maximum traction, but because the GS is so heavy I want to minimize 90% of it. Especially in hard cornering the weight of the GS amplifies the body roll by so much more.

I did a bit of research after posting this thread and read ninjlao's threads of the dyno'ing of the Swift Springs and his explainations and was definitely a good read.

I think the Swift Springs will maximize the potential of the Stance GR+ coilovers allowing quicker reaction and rebound of the spring and less variation difference when compressed (consistently linear)

I've decided I will do the Swift Spring upgrade for sure, but I just need to decide on the spring rates. The Stance rates are 14/10kg at the moment. Any input on this? Should I go down on the rates, keep the same or go up? If I kept the same spring rates, will I get less/more/same body roll now but with more of a quality ride that absorbs imperfections in the road?

Another factor is that I do have drifting in my blood (240sx background) and I do intend to get this thing sideways from time to time once I put some power to it. My first mod was the TRD 1.5way LSD

PS: keeping in mind I will probably get some TRD Blue sways and some added chassis bracing.

Last edited by duckJAI; 07-27-11 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-28-11, 02:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The Swift springs will allow you to maintain the same amount of body roll while having a slightly nicer ride quality. If you want less body roll, bump up the rates. In my experience with Swift springs, I can go 1kg/mm higher and the ride will actually be the same, if not smoother then the springs it replaced. However going with 2kg/mm higher, the car will feel stiffer, but you're reducing body roll by a noticeable amount.
Old 07-28-11, 05:48 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

BMW are overpriced.
And maintenance nightmares! I have a few friends that are BMW freaks and it seems that every moving part on the car is a 'wearable' item that is trashed after 30k miles.. And endless electrical problems as well..

No doubt fun cars to drive tho. Just end up spending more time and money maintaining than modifying.. Gotta stay Japanese for the fun part of modifying.
Old 07-28-11, 06:34 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can upgrade the suspension all you want but without the body rigidity to take all that force. Increase chassis rigidity, reduce flex in chassis, and make sure the suspension is actually moving as it is meant and not the chassis to absorb all that energy...

there's a great thread by rominl or someone which also discusses about the handling of GS vs BMW.
Old 07-28-11, 01:41 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drop a lot of weight.

Sticky Tires.

Huge swaybars.

Better Coilovers/Springs.

Enjoy.
Old 07-28-11, 06:17 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sway bars, front and rear upper STBs, front and rear under braces, TOMS 6 links, Daizen control arm bushings, Daizen steering bushings, etc....

Quick Reply: How to make the GS300 handle like a monster??