Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Quick noob question about adjusting ride height Megan Ez cs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 03:22 AM
mike51O
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Quick noob question about adjusting ride height Megan Ez cs

Couple of questions.. I'm about to adjust the height of my ride and I read the how you do it section on the Megan website.. seems pretty basic and easy to do with those tools... but wanted to make sure about a few things before i start..

So basically I'm going to set the spring preload to zero by leaving no gap between the spring and the two locking perches, then im going to measure just like the picture from point A to point B, basically measure the black lines in between the red and silver lock.

So i totally understand that part this is where I have a question, so since the guy already installed the coilovers on my car, dropping the rear 1.2in and front 1.5in

So basically all I have to do to get an even drop is to take off the back tire and measure the black lines in between the red and silver lock and just adjust the front to measure out like the back? (make the front match the rear)

And if I don't want to measure, Can I just count the black lines and make sure all 4 coilovers are all at the same black line?

After I adjust just make sure all the silver lock on the bottom is screwed back tight and that's it?

Also this might seem like a dumb question but when i measure the black lines between the red and silver locking, does that mean how low the drop is going to be in inches? The distance from the red locking edge to the edge of the silver locking?

If not how do i determine how many inches it was drop once i adjust.. So I told the mechanic to do 1.2 in the rear, If I took off the tire what do i measure to understand that "Okay that is a 1.2 in drop?"

Last edited by mike51O; 08-01-11 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 06:48 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think it translates 1:1 because they are mounted at an angle, but however low you screw the threaded section into the body is about how low it'll drop.
Old 08-01-11, 07:29 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need to stop worrying about whether it's 1.2" or a 1.5" drop and focus on getting the ride height you will most comfortably be driving with being as low as possible (I believe this is your goal?). Your front looks like it's a lot more than 1.2" dropped.. So if I understand, you like the higher rear and want the lower front to match. First, having all the coilovers at the same height will not work because each corner of the car is a different weight. So each coilover will compress differently because each corner is a different weight. Being so, they will not all be equal when compressed and you will end up with a funky drop front back and side to side. This is why each coilover will have it's own independent height to compensate for these differences in weight. If your happy with the rear, don't touch it. If the car is even side to side, just adjust the front up slightly. The fronts can be adjusted without taking off the wheel, just turn your wheel outwards to the side you are adjusting and jack up that side. You can use the bottom locking ring as a guide. Just loosen it up but barely touching the bottom collar. As you adjust the sleeve, the locking nut will turn with the sleeve, but do not touch it. After a couple of turns, you will notice a space between the locking nut and the bottom collar. This is how much you just raised your car. Measure this space and do the same for the other side. Might take a couple of tries, but just keep playing with it. Might want to do this on a flat ground as well. Before finalizing go for short drive to settle the new height. And then check it again.