Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front passenger thump

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 01:44 PM
shyrax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front passenger thump

Hi all. I have owned my IS350 for about 3 weeks now. I am having an issue that I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I am getting a strange thump sound from the front passenger tire area. I first noticed it when I hit the brakes one day while turning left. Never hear it when turning to the right though. I can turn the wheel to the left and slowly roll and hit the brakes. It will thump every time in forward or reverse. Don't really think it is a brake issue since I also get the sound (though not as loud) when going over a bump. I had the local dealer look at it while fixing other small warranty covered issues and they can't find anything. They say that it is probably just the floating brake pad moving forward and back. I would think that if it was a floating pad moving then both sides would do it. I never hear anything from the driver side. They want me to pay them for 2-3 hours of work to take the front suspension/brakes apart to try to find the issue.

The previous owner was in a fender bender when the car was about a month old. The dealer is saying that the problem may be from the accident and will not fix it under warranty if they think it is from the accident. I can understand them not wanting to fix something for free, but accident was several years ago and I doubt the previous owner drove it that long with this noise.

Any ideas?
Old 08-04-11, 01:58 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it's nearly impossible to internet diagnose. Either suck it up and take it to the dealer or bring it to a independent mechanic. If the dealer finds it not due to the accident they will cover it under warranty.