Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

getting an alignment while low?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 08:39 PM
lownfastsc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting an alignment while low?

Well my car has needed an alignment since i got it, now it is lowered on coilovers. my question is should i raise the car up before i bring it to the shop so they dont rip my front bumper off when there trying to get it on the lift? and if they decide to test drive they will for sure bottom it out. it would be a lot of work to raise it, but i dont want them to screw it up.
Old 08-08-11, 09:10 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a kit on your car? I'm pretty low and have never had a problem getting on a lift without a kit.

also if you're getting an alignment, your camber will be out of whack when you lower it back down if you raise it now.

Most lifts are designed with swing arms anyway so your front bumper doesn't have much to do with it. They lift up your car from the four pinch welds on the side.
Old 08-09-11, 10:23 AM
lownfastsc
Rookie

no kit, but im tucking tire on the stock wheels so the car is about 1.5 inches off the ground. i guess ill just have to do some research and find out what shops have the swing arm lifts. and pray that they dont test drive it.
Old 08-09-11, 10:29 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FutureSC
Do you have a kit on your car? I'm pretty low and have never had a problem getting on a lift without a kit.

also if you're getting an alignment, your camber will be out of whack when you lower it back down if you raise it now.

Most lifts are designed with swing arms anyway so your front bumper doesn't have much to do with it. They lift up your car from the four pinch welds on the side.
i dont recall a standard lift being used to do an alignment...

the ramp should do just fine, but like FutureSC stated, if you raise your car now, get the alignment, and then lower it to get that lowered look your settings will have changed. Get the alignment with your car lowered to your liking and bring some wood planks to clear your bumper if necessary.
Old 08-09-11, 06:12 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ ahh you're correct sir. I'm stupid. I don't know why I though a standard lift was used for an alignment. Wood planks are always a major helper though.

lownfast, just be a boss and eyeball your own alignment hahaha but seriously good luck with that. I feel like you shouldn't have too much of a problem though
Old 08-09-11, 06:37 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best bet is to find a low profile lift. Yes, they do exist, just hard to come by. They are built flush to the floor.

If not, you may have issues if the wood planks are not enough. If you raise your car to get it on the lift you will have lower it again once on; then raise again to get off lift and lower again once on the ground. You are bound to have an inaccurate alignment if you go through all these steps. Alignments must be done with the car at the desired ride height.
Old 08-09-11, 07:28 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Ask if they use an in ground alignment lift, at my shop we have a standard 4post lift and some of the lowered cars that come in won't make it so we use blocks of wood to get them up there.

As stated above do no change your ride height to get an alignment. It is best to go at the height you will be driving at everyday.

If you do not have an in ground lift in your area and you are afraid of the tech ruining you could always find a shop that will let u accompany the tech or a shop with a lowered car in the lot. If the car was worked on there it is likely someone will know how to get it up on the lift
Old 08-09-11, 08:00 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

My car will not fit on any alignment racks here - it makes it to the rear resonator section and then it hits the body/rails and gets stuck.

I have to use a shop with a "pit" and even then, hope that they don't have the metal guards sticking up to keep the car from driving in the pit.

I'll be heading to Fort Worth here soon to get my alignment done at a real shop, that knows suspension - not a mom and pop shop who just know factory specs.
Old 08-10-11, 06:43 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Around here, shops like NTB, Merchants, Sears, etc will simply turn you away if your vehicle is lowered. I only know of two shops in the area that handle lowered alignments and they charge around $125.00. An alignment is a perfect mod for saving tires though. Call around to a few local "performance" shops and see if they can help.

And as the others have mentioned, you want the vehicle to be at driving stance for a proper alignment. Keep in mind that if you lift your car for any reason afterwords and then drop it back down, you can still throw it off.

Good luck with everything.
Old 08-10-11, 03:08 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Since we are on the topic of alignment, do you know what setting you are looking to achieve for superior handling? If I may suggest the Lance alignment as a base setting and work it from there..

remember, the more positive caster, the tighter that steering wheel will feel..

Toe, you want as close to zero as possible..

Camber, negative is the name of the game if you need it to clear your fenders. If you rolling low..

but remember, they all go hand in hand. Which ever shop does your alignment, make sure to take it around for like 10 mins.. really get into it, on straights and turns.. hit some imperfections (to test for tram-lining) to see how it reacts.

Jae

Last edited by Luv2xl; 08-10-11 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 03:12 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

What is this Lance spec you speak of?
Old 08-10-11, 07:56 PM
lownfastsc
Rookie

Thanks for the help everyone, i definitely wont take it to tires plus like i was planning. lmao. there is one performance shop in my area that i will try. i would rather pay more for a better alignment.

luv2xl, Lance alignment sounds exactly what i am looking for, a quality base tune that i can work off. you said that positive caster makes the steering wheel tighter? is that adjustable from the factory? the only thing done to my car is coilovers, but i would really like the steering to be tighter.
Old 08-10-11, 08:23 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Most shops will not even touch caster these days and 0 toe is a world of difference!
Old 08-11-11, 07:42 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek
What is this Lance spec you speak of?
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html

Originally Posted by lownfastsc
Thanks for the help everyone, i definitely wont take it to tires plus like i was planning. lmao. there is one performance shop in my area that i will try. i would rather pay more for a better alignment.

luv2xl, Lance alignment sounds exactly what i am looking for, a quality base tune that i can work off. you said that positive caster makes the steering wheel tighter? is that adjustable from the factory? the only thing done to my car is coilovers, but i would really like the steering to be tighter.
Definitely adjustable from the factory. I am not sure what the factory specs are though, unfortunately. But I am sure a search would find that info out.. Please share it if you locate it..

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Most shops will not even touch caster these days and 0 toe is a world of difference!
Maybe, but then again, you don't want to take your car just to any shop for an alignment..

Remember the lower you go, the more bump steer you have..

Last edited by Luv2xl; 08-11-11 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 10:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There is a trade off for everything so don't go and set caster as positive as you can right away. Zero toe isn't always the best either, especially if one is looking for a sharper turn in in which case you would want a tiny bit of toe out in the front. With some slight toe out, you've already created some slip angle where as you have less initial slip with zero toe. I highly recommend you go to a performance oriented shop if you want a decent alignment.

Quick Reply: getting an alignment while low?