Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

18s, Suspension, Ride, Comfort, HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 06:00 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And so my car will be lowered (an inch or more?) and my performance will be better, slightly stiffer, but not too noticeable a loss of comfort. What are the major drawbacks, void warranty? can't go back to stock later? rubbing chances increase?
Old 09-23-02, 06:07 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure you can go back to stock..

do it with the right components, no rubbing, no problem, no warranty issues as i do not break anything with my set up(Kg-mm springs+l-tuned shocks)..not stiif, juts slightly firmer, better control
Old 09-23-02, 06:10 PM
RacingAristo

Yes, L-tuned drops a little more than an inch.

No, your performance will not be better but your car's will.

Major drawback: not enough of drop and certainly not designed for track

If you install L-tuned at Lexus dealer, the warranty will not be voided. That is one of the strongest point for L-tuned.

"Can't go back to stock later" What are you smoking? I'd like to know what makes you think of that. Just curious. You're not gonna cut the spring or something.

If 1" drop will cause rubbing, do you think L-tuned would be that popular in Club Lexus? Will any aftermarket suspension for Lexus GS survive?
Old 09-23-02, 07:04 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

So I guess L-Tuned is short for Lexus Tuned?

I am about to call Lexus of Manhattan and price it out.
Old 09-23-02, 07:09 PM
RacingAristo

remember, if you decide to go with L-tuned, be sure to install it at the dealer. If you take it to a shop, your warranty will be void.
Old 09-23-02, 07:25 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Someone said might as well get L-Tuned Steering ECU while getting L-Tuned suspension, what is that now?
Old 09-23-02, 07:33 PM
RacingAristo

L-tuned steering ECU will tighten the steering wheel. It's more noticeable during speed high. However, there is some confusion regarding that part because the L-tuned ECU has the same part # as the stock GS430 steering ECU.

Some said they don't feel a thing. It's a rip off. Some praise it and claim it's worth every penny. I've heard mixed feedbacks from that particular part. I, for one, do not do the l-tuned ECU. I like the way it is now. It's only like $140 or something.
Old 09-24-02, 11:42 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

ranjankhan, the short answer is that virtually ANY handling improvement available for the GS will come at the expense of ride comfort. To me, the L-Tuned suspension produces virtually no degradation in comfort compared to stock. There is a slight but noticeable increase in impact harshness when contacting such things as those speed humps that have become popular with some traffic engineers. But the almost total elimination of the floaty sensation over whoop-de-dos and of the feel that the body was actually wobbling around on top of the suspension is, for me, MORE comfortable since I no longer have that queasy, uneasy sensation that accompanied those motions.

But even those blobby 16s are not going to give you the ride sensations of the LS. Lexus can't fix crappy roads if that's all you have to drive on...........

i agree with what was said earlier regarding the suspension upgrade: "There is a slight but noticeable increase in impact harshness when contacting such things as those speed humps that have become popular with some traffic engineers.". basically, i'd say that you loose about 20% of your comfort and add about 30% more performance. so, depends on your driving type. if you like to go fast, you'll find a higher performance suspension comfortable, however if you don't, DO NOT get the upgrade.